Anyone Crazy enough to make a one-way flight?

That sir was a cool video

I have just reached 200 or so flights on my P3P. Noticed I have some cracks on the shell. They aren't earth shattering but enough to cause me some concern so I decided to send it in. Thus far DJI has been very responsive. I received an RMA on the first business day. That brings us to this (yeah I'm bored because I can't fly).

Has anyone been crazy enough to plot a one-way Autonomous flight? E.g. Start at one point and end at another with an auto land...? No fair if you plot the flight and go wait for it and land yourself. I'm curious.. Has anyone done it... Ok I'll rephrase. Has anyone done that who cares to share?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Well mine was not autonomous. I took off using googles. And I flew 2000ft. I landed it using the remote very carefully. I even shut it completely off. After a couple minutes when could see people walking around. I started it up from that distance and to my surprise it fired up. I took off and people
Were looking like what the f... No was around. And it flew. But I could see all from afar. If it did not work. I would have walked over and picked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You landed with the camera? That is pretty crazy.

If your talking about stock batteries, on a non stop flight I'm betting a P4 would go right around 9.7 to 10 miles before running out.. Assuming it wouldn't run out of range. I have done a 49,982 ft. flight (9.4 miles) on the P4 mostly in sport mode around top speed. The flight was 16 minutes and it was in motion almost constantly. Took off with 100% batt and landed around 9%. Obviously this wasn't one way, but I bet the distance traveled would be about the same..

No I'm talking about someone who flies their bird to a remote location and lands it autonomously. This isn't a battery question it's an autonomous flight and landing question. I'm curios how the Phantom lands for one. How does it know it is approaching the ground.. What keeps it from smashing into the ground. Let's say you flew away a thousand feet and ground level was 50 feet higher where it landed. Would it smash into the ground? Does it use the vision positioning. System for landing.

No I'm talking about someone who flies their bird to a remote location and lands it autonomously. This isn't a battery question it's an autonomous flight and landing question. I'm curios how the Phantom lands for one. How does it know it is approaching the ground.. What keeps it from smashing into the ground. Let's say you flew away a thousand feet and ground level was 50 feet higher where it landed. Would it smash into the ground? Does it use the vision positioning. System for landing.

It would only land autonomously if it was under RTH or if using Litchi. It uses a combination of GPS and VPS to see where it is and land safely.. 50 ft higher elevation at the landing site shouldn't be an issue.

For long distance flights you need look no further than the crazy Welshman, Mohan. :eek:

This is his 50,000ft Horizon FPV modified P3P one-way vid.

Man, I'd be a little annoyed if I ended up at 49,812. Only 188 more... :)

Seriously though, awesome distance vid! I was wondering where he was gonna land, but then that golf course came up.

Just hit Rth and you will see how it lands. All on its own. Same way.

Just hit Rth and you will see how it lands. All on its own. Same way.

I have done that. I do understand that. My question isn't when it lands at the RTH point. The return to home is registered at 0 elevation to the Phantom. Landing away from home the Phantom may be landing at a spot that is above or below the takeoff spot. In my opinion that makes it more dependent on VPS to accurately determine ground level. This is why I'm interested about flying it away and it landing autonomously.. Either by design with an app or because of a fails are landing. It's more of an exercise in understanding the Phantom than something I would do because... I'm attached to mine and don't want to find out the hard way how an autonomous landing occurs.

Yes. But I still had los as well.

I got that Tony. More of saying that takes guts.. Not a criticism..

I got that Tony. More of saying that takes guts.. Not a criticism..

I know. I really want to go say 10k land and try again. When we all meet. I might think it if someone meets me at a landing point.

P3 will use its vps to land whenever they start sensing ground (10m i guess), of course landing on a sharp slope will make it commit suicide.

As for litchi max waypoint distance, it is determined by dji fw.

Ive done 11.8km roind trip using fw1.4 with perfect conditions, other times the mission will cancel and it will come back home if there were a bit of wind

Fw 1.5, 9km mission wouldnt start as i think max distance on 1.5 is 8km ?

What if you set a ridiculous waypoint 10 miles away and low battery activates? Does it still continue with its mission and then autoland or does it turn around and beeline home just before the point of no return?
i fly litchi all the time and when i thought the p3 could fly for like 25 minutes, i planned missions that long and kept wondering why it would always come back in rth mode. so from my experience, it just comes back home whenever battery gets low. the only time it lands is if you set the mission setting to do that after the mission is complete.

P3 will use its vps to land whenever they start sensing ground (10m i guess), of course landing on a sharp slope will make it commit suicide.

This is what I thought. Which means of course that you could do it. You would want to make certain that the Phantom landed on a flat surface with a large margin of error probably 10meters in all directions. You would also want to have VPS on for for long range flights just in case you run out of power.

This is what I thought. Which means of course that you could do it. You would want to make certain that the Phantom landed on a flat surface with a large margin of error probably 10meters in all directions. You would also want to have VPS on for for long range flights just in case you run out of power.

Don't you think you would perhaps waste power by having VPS on for long range flights?

So how about this ,have someone fly the bird across the bay then have someone on the other side with remote and phone to help the pilot land then remove and replace with fresh battery and link up different rc and fly it back to the other side .maybe??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl