Antenna type and distance achieved

FPVLR said:
guys I was wondering why everyone here seems to be buying the RP-SMA female adapter instead of buying the industry standard SMA FEMALE adapter... like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-female-nut- ... 5405c78a3c

I use SMA.

I think folks here started (back in Oct / Nov) with RP-SMA because
1) Everyone was under the misguided impression that the P2V used linear antennas.
2) The first modification being made were to the repeater. The original antennas being used were standard linear whips or patch antennas (like the TP-Links) and most of those are RP-SMA (what a pain.)
I was one of the first to start modifying the P2V camera. My first modification (while I waited for my Circ Pol antennas) was to use a simple whip (again standard RP-SMA). But as soon as I could I switched to SMA.

Well, that's the history anyway.

themosttoys said:
FPVLR said:
guys I was wondering why everyone here seems to be buying the RP-SMA female adapter instead of buying the industry standard SMA FEMALE adapter... like this...

I use SMA.

I think folks here started (back in Oct / Nov) with RP-SMA because
1) Everyone was under the misguided impression that the P2V used linear antennas.
2) The first modification being made were to the repeater. The original antennas being used were standard linear whips or patch antennas (like the TP-Links) and most of those are RP-SMA (what a pain.)
I was one of the first to start modifying the P2V camera. My first modification (while I waited for my Circ Pol antennas) was to use a simple whip (again standard RP-SMA). But as soon as I could I switched to SMA.

Well, that's the history anyway.

it doesn't matter if you use SMA or RPSMA, There are adapters to easily change between either standard and neither is better than the other. RPSMA is more popular for wifi antennas so I stick with RPSMA and if I need SMA just get an adapter. Simple easy fix.

Do they make any difference between themselves (SMA and RP-SMA), quality wise or antenna wise?

FPVLR said:

Here is the only one I've been able to find that ships from USA.

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Female-Pigta ... emale+1.13

Anyone else have a supplier?

I think I could connect direct to the extender out with this and be able to aim one of FPVLR antenna's by adjusting the extenders position.

http://www.amazon.com/coaxial-adapter-f ... ight+angle

Many are using TP-link panel antennas and they as most others are sold for wifi and use rp-sma.
Simple and affordable.
Members getting oVer 1 mile range with rp-sma connectors with panel antennas and keeping video.
Some of these antenna's are priced out the the roof.

Many good how to's on construction.

No-way would I spend $100 bucks on an antenna that will get no better range than one I can get for $10 bucks.

The proof is in the pudding.
All looks good on paper but until you test it in your environment you don't know how it will function.

I'm happy so far with 2000 foot range with one 9bi and one 7 dbi omni (rubber duckys)
could probably go further.

Please provide videos of a Phantom Vision that gets 10 miles.
If you can't then that's all I have to say since that is eXactly what this thread is about!
I understand you know much about antennas but I have seen just as many FAIL with high dollar
antenna on this same board as I have seen succeed with great results with ineXpensive antenna setups.
Here is one members vide that he got over a mile with a tplink 9dBi directional and 8 dBi omni.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTIeJO2qeE&app=desktop

Not trying to argue But this is what I see proof of.

All other is hearsey trying to make sells with good tech talk..

BTW: you long winded response proves there is validity in my statement. But I knew that, I'm old and do some research!

Thanks
FPVLR said:
Skipholiday said:
Many are using TP-link panel antennas and they as most others are sold for wifi and use rp-sma.
Simple and affordable.
Members getting oVer 1 mile range with rp-sma connectors with panel antennas and keeping video.
Some of these antenna's are priced out the the roof.

Many good how to's on construction.

No-way would I spend $100 bucks on an antenna that will get no better range than one I can get for $10 bucks.

The proof is in the pudding.
All looks good on paper but until you test it in your environment you don't know how it will function.

I'm happy so far with 2000 foot range with one 9bi and one 7 dbi omni (rubber duckys)

Good for you,
so how do you know that the CP antenna is not better than what you are using, if you don't try a properly built one?
I mean, FPVLR alone gets 500$ per day of CP antenna orders, do you think those people are all silly? They write back and tell us how much more range they have since switching out the rubber duckies..

We are talking about people who fly 40 miles out, not 2000ft.

Mind you I have several clients who have flown 10 miles (16km) with 200-400mw 5.8GHz video tx and a 12 turn helix on their fpv goggles.

With 2.4 I have customers who have reached 30km with good video still.

with 1.2 I have people who have done weather baloon launches into the stratosphere, and people who have flown fpv for 55-60km (about 35-40 miles).

There is a real difference in CP antennas compared to LP, less breakouts in video, multipath rejection (makes for lower noise floor).

Any way you see it CP antennas are a winner.

You can probably build some yourself, but with no instrumentation you will be always guessing if they work.

60$ of antenna on a 1000 or 2000$ rig is nothing.

You have RTH which gives you peace of mind, but people are flying 20 or 30 miles with no RTH... so hey need clear video with no breakouts....

I would not fly any fpv with rubber ducky antennas, the first thing I do when they come bundled in my tx/rx, I throw them away. I measured many of them and 90% are way off tune and are just throw-aways.

FPVLR said:
Skipholiday said:

Good for you,

I would not fly any fpv with rubber ducky antennas, the first thing I do when they come bundled in my tx/rx, I throw them away. I measured many of them and 90% are way off tune and are just throw-aways.
ALSO FWIW in my congested area with the stock P2V antenna setup I was lucky to get 500 feet and still kep video and control.

With the added eXpense of less than $30 bucks I've already quadrupled that range.
Throw away duckys do good for those of us that are thrifty.

Just saying. :-/

FPVLR said:
There is no cheap way around this.
There you are wrong. Cheap got me quadruple the range. That was my intentions PERIOD! Nothing long winded or complicated about that.
Cheap got the other member over 6000 feet with the stock battery and the 5G controller.

Just saying your method maybe good for some. But it is not by any means the only method. (maybe the most eXpensive)
I've built a few Yagi's and I built my current 2 HDTV antennas that pick up close to 60 channels without a network analyzer.
I tuned it by turning it till my wife YELLED it's clear.

I'm retired Army and have always lived by the Kiss standard. Keep it Simple Stupid!

No need to oVercomplicate somethings. Most in this community are here to learn and share. Then theres a few that are here to make money.

BTW: instead of throwing away the ducky antennas, why not donate them to members here that could use them?

gfredrone said:
**** Skip don't run off our expert antenna guy. Take a chill pill.
Well it frustrates me that someone comes here to pimp his goods and calls what I have JUNK!

How is my stuff junk when it quadrupled my range?

Hell if someone is fool enough to spend $400-$500 dollars on an antenna for a $1200 quad then let em.

My understanding of this forum is for member to help one another, not profit.

Ebay is for that.

There's plenty of ppl here that share information that helps that doesn't cost!

**** a network analyzer. you don't need that crap when you have youtube!

Real life R and D is where it's at.

My understanding of this forum is for member to help one another, not profit.

I and others asked him to come here. I've sent him several emails and he has been very helpful and polite. Also, I don't think he was calling your setup junk but was mainly commenting from a technical (theoretical) angle. A lot of this stuff is way over my head and I'm learning more and more every day from the "guru's".

Hey, if what you have works for your needs then KISS like you say.

I'm looking for the smallest most portable solution with the greatest range and FPVLR is filling that requirement with a pretty cool looking product.

Keep in mind money is like 1 ply toilet paper for some of the folks on this forum. Hopefully I can join the a$$ wipe club one day. ;)

I for one appreciate when an expert offers a solution, no matter what the cost. It's then my choice to spend my money or not.
Let's keep bringing good quality people here and treat them like welcome guests.

Ok the way this all came about I'll give a little rundown
I got this heli for Christmas and started to research it. found these forums and started reading and reading i must have read 2000 pages or more of this forum and rc groups 500 +pages on pv2 learned a lot
I then seen the thread for 1.7 km on stock pv2 antenna thread by pvflyer
In that thread I learned that the antennas are LHCP. What's a LHCP antenna I said to myself I had no clue what that meant so I started to read more into it and everywhere I looked came across the name ibcrazy
So I contacted him and asked him about making my heli fly further since everywhere I read about antennas his name was there and he was discussing them in every thread I seen . he highly recommended I talk to fpvlr
I sent a simple pm over to fpvlr and asked how do I make this heli fly further
He was interested in helping and did explain to me over tons of pms what each antenna does how it works and what it's benefit is
Before I spent a dollar.
He was asked by me to check this forum out and help with some of the question.

I don't see it the same way as you a bit. from an outsiders point of view it may look like he's here to push a product of his. but we asked him to make us this product and I for one am very thankful to have found a true hobbyist/antenna builder that actually cares

I sent several emails to reputable companies I'm not going to name them and got pretty sorry answers like we don't make LHCP
Or sorry can't help you

Not only could fpvlr make a LHCP he can custom design one just for our needs we asked for it and he delivered

So skip I think you got this guy all wrong

Thanks alot tony for your help

hello FPVLR i just placed my order with you: Order 1394241017 please do it fast i can't wait (my phantom vision y ready to go farther) :D thank you!

MadMan said:
I for one appreciate when an expert offers a solution, no matter what the cost. It's then my choice to spend my money or not.
Let's keep bringing good quality people here and treat them like welcome guests.
No One said anyone wasn't appreciated!
I did my own antenna mods and r and d and he said my antennas were trash, so SURE I took offence.

90% of the ppl on this forum have used the same antennas or very similar.

They make a vast improvement over stock.

There have been plenty of others that have helped through r and d with the antenna mods that have helped and do not stand to make a dime.

They do it to help others, not for profit!

Skipholiday said:
MadMan said:
I did my own antenna mods and r and d and he said my antennas were trash, so SURE I took offence.

There have been plenty of others that have helped through r and d with the antenna mods that have helped and do not stand to make a dime.

What about the guys that want to go further ?
Those cheap antennas will only get you so far why is that?
Can you find a cheaper LHCP helical ?
Sometimes you have to pay for quality and customer service
No one is obligated to buy anything from anyone

mr_3_0_5 said:
Skipholiday said:
MadMan said:

What about the guys that want to go further ?
Those cheap antennas will only get you so far why is that?
Can you find a cheaper LHCP helical ?
Sometimes you have to pay for quality and customer service
No one is obligated to buy anything from anyone
You're misinterpreting my point. My point being that you don't have to spend anything to go further than stock.
You can goto the moon with enough money.
Hell pay someone to fly it for you. I don't care. My setup I put together, it breaks I can fixit.

There is video on this forum from other members that have went further with ineXpensive setups.
The one thats well oVer a mile is impressive and he bought his parts from Amazon if I'm not mistaken.
What is the longest range this guy has made for a vision? I've not seen any video.
Do his antennas for the vision transmit over a mile? Can you get them for under $60 bucks?

Just saying. Money can get you as far as you want to go. that has never been in dispute.
But please don't get me wrong. I believe he knows how to bend wire to shape an antenna. :-/

Rather that quote the entire post. I will say thank you for a very good eXplanation FPVLR.

Only swr meter I have is a cheapo I use to setup my cb radios, it works well for cb.

Fpvlr, I appreciate your help, but your website needs to have a categories just for the phantom.
I read your advice about what to use but I go to your site and it's confusing for someone who's not a antenna guru.
I just want to see a package with instructions for my phantom. I like your idea of a small unit in white.
Also a couple of your buttons don't do anything on your site, unless it's me.
Any idea when your going to be offering this ?

FPVLR said:
Skipholiday said:
Rather that quote the entire post. I will say thank you for a very good eXplanation FPVLR.

Only swr meter I have is a cheapo I use to setup my cb radios, it works well for cb.

If you'd like I could swr test your whips for free, and send them back to you, attaching a tag with the center frequency and swr measurements.
Tony
thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31