Antenna type and distance achieved

mr_3_0_5 said:
That is one set of pretty antennas you got there

cavaleiro01 said:
FPVLR said:
Hello Cavaleiro01

here is your set.
I am sorry for the delay, they are shipping in the morning.
I had to replace a small limit sensor on the laser machine, that put me back 3-4 days on lead time, but now it's all back to 5-6 days lead time to build the antennas.

Here you can see, both the pinwheel and the parasitic helix have been tested with spectrum analyzer and work wonderfully.

I am sure if you install the pinwheel on the phantom you will get a better range than using the stock antennas on the phantom.

You can see the pictures of your set here...

When it comes to Pinwheel antennas, there is no match for these, CL or SPW don't match up.

Thanks, Tony!

Cannot wait to get it going...

Joao Diogo Paiva, AKA Cavaleiro01

Thanks, mr_3_0_5!

FPVLR said:
Thanks,
if I can get my hands on some translucent white acrylic my idea is to incorporate 2 of these units to install side by side on the wi-fi extender with 15cm separation, and below the two in the middle a small 3 turn 5.8 helix for the controller.

... and your P2V will say to you: "Fly me to the moon!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

FPVLR said:
Thanks,
if I can get my hands on some translucent white acrylic my idea is to incorporate 2 of these units to install side by side on the wi-fi extender with 15cm separation, and below the two in the middle a small 3 turn 5.8 helix for the controller.

I'd be interested in this kit. Please keep us updated.

What are the specs on the new form factor antenna? Is it better than the parasitic? How do I get my hands on one?

FPVLR said:
This is the new type of small form factor helix.

Cute and innovative. Very nice. Small is good but usually not without tradeoffs.
How does it perform (efficiency)?
Have you plotted it yet?
Axial ratio, gain (looks low, but that's not to say anything negative), beamwidth (looks wide), ...

I've also been curious about what material you use for reflector and how you impedance match (wave trap?).

I think it might be time for me to add some of your antennas to my collection.

Keep up the great work.

FPVLR said:
marc111 said:
Scottrod said:
I've got a stock P2V and a 9dbi omni-directional antenna on my wifi repeater. I'm getting solid 640x480 up to around 2,700 with almost no lag and also a choppy connection continuing past 3,300 feet. I like this setup because it's fairly portable. I'm shocked to see the results you got themosttoys.

You increased your wifi range and your rx/tx - range with just 1 9dbi omni-directional antenna on your wifi repeater :?:

:roll:

chances are you aren't goint to get that range with a 9dbi omni....This user seems to be the only one who got that range with that setup.

I'm not lying. I will post a video of my controller while flying if need be. My TX is stock. My wifi repeater just has 1 9dbi omni on it. I will say there are some days that are better than others. However, when I'm 200'+ altitude I can reach 3,300' with FPV. As I stated before, it's not perfect and is definitely choppy at that distance but I'm getting 2,000-2,500' without the glitching. This is with the rear of the phantom facing me (antennas on sides of camera). Although, i am also on a deck which is 15' off the ground while controlling it so maybe that has a beneficial effect.

Edit: TX stock in FCC mode

I'm comfortable modding the P2V, remote, and Wi-Fi extender. But, I'm unsure which antenna and amp to add to the camera.

Will your 2.4 pinwheel set (crashproof) do the trick? LHCP or RHCP? This is where I get lost.

FPVLR said:
ClimbrJohn said:
Could you please provide links to some parts to accomplish this? Thanks!

FPVLR said:
What you need really is a small amp on the camera and a pinwheel antenna, and you will get all the range your batteries can take and more even with 8 or 9 dBi on the wi-fi extender.

There are people who have done the mod themselves, and they can help you more.
An amp is not really needed on the phantom camera, but the installation of an external pinwheel, or spw is definitely needed.

I figure with a 500mw amp it could be possible to have respectable long ranges even with omni antennas.

There are several links on here about how to mod the camera and the extender in order to mount external antennas.

FPVLR said:
What you need really is a small amp on the camera and a pinwheel antenna, and you will get all the range your batteries can take and more even with 8 or 9 dBi on the wi-fi extender.

Good advice, I might have to try that. ;)

ClimbrJohn, see my posts in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7448

FPVLR said:
ClimbrJohn said:
Could you please provide links to some parts to accomplish this? Thanks!

FPVLR said:

There are people who have done the mod themselves, and they can help you more.
An amp is not really needed on the phantom camera, but the installation of an external pinwheel, or spw is definitely needed.

I figure with a 500mw amp it could be possible to have respectable long ranges even with omni antennas.

There are several links on here about how to mod the camera and the extender in order to mount external antennas.

Tony, why do we need an amp when installing an external pinwheel on the phantom camera? Will it underperform if it's set with no amp?

Tony, why do we need an amp when installing an external pinwheel on the phantom camera? Will it underperform if it's set with no amp?[/quote]

I will do tests with no amp in a couple days when I get my antennas from him
Themosttoys has flown to 10000 ft with no amp

FPVLR said:
About the AMP, it's not really necessary at all on the camera side, as results have been obtained without one, but a 500mw mini amp on the camera wi-fi would at least double the range you obtain with just a pinwheel on there.
Tony

You mean, placing a 500mw mini amp on the Wi-Fi repeater side?

cavaleiro01 said:
FPVLR said:
About the AMP, it's not really necessary at all on the camera side, as results have been obtained without one, but a 500mw mini amp on the camera wi-fi would at least double the range you obtain with just a pinwheel on there.
Tony

No he means an amp on the pv2

mr_3_0_5 said:
cavaleiro01 said:
FPVLR said:
Tony

No he means an amp on the pv2

So, that's what I thought, an amp between the P2V camera transmitter and the pinwheel antenna, right?

cavaleiro01 said:
So, that's what I thought, an amp between the P2V camera transmitter and the pinwheel antenna, right?

A picture:

Attachments

• P2VAntenna3.jpg
    P2VAntenna3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 436
FPVLR said:
to Scott:

I did not mean you were lying, what I meant is that your mileage may vary, and not everyone will get your range with those antennas, actually almost everyone who used them seems to have gone 1000-1500 ft with those. A 9dBi omni is a bad idea IMHO since the "donut" is too flat so you get no coverage and moderate to high take off angles. a 9 dBi directional is preferable since it has a much better coverage at higher take off angles, so aiming it vertically is less of a challenge.

I definitely agree that there are better solutions out there than the Omni antenna I am using. I'm trying to find the best solution between portability in my case and distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31