Antenna type and distance achieved

gfredrone said:
I'm going to do the pinwheel on the camera's left antenna once my Rotorpixel gets here. That should solve any issues with the gimbal motor blocking the signal.

FPVLR any chance the pinwheel can be shorter for mounting under the craft and not dragging the ground? Will you post length specs? I can't really tell from the picture so it might already be short enough.

Also what's the cost for both the parasitic and the pinwheel kit?

I have the 6.5 turn from tony and it performs very well I can get to around 3000 ft with no mods to the heli
Themosttoys mention to me that he was stuck at 2200 ft before doing the mods to the pv2 so I guess that's where the majority of the range will come from

FPVLR said:
Hello Cavaleiro01

here is your set.
I am sorry for the delay, they are shipping in the morning.
I had to replace a small limit sensor on the laser machine, that put me back 3-4 days on lead time, but now it's all back to 5-6 days lead time to build the antennas.

Here you can see, both the pinwheel and the parasitic helix have been tested with spectrum analyzer and work wonderfully.

I am sure if you install the pinwheel on the phantom you will get a better range than using the stock antennas on the phantom.

You can see the pictures of your set here...

When it comes to Pinwheel antennas, there is no match for these, CL or SPW don't match up.

Thanks, Tony!

Cannot wait to get it going...

Joao Diogo Paiva, AKA Cavaleiro01

That is one set of pretty antennas you got there

cavaleiro01 said:
FPVLR said:
Hello Cavaleiro01

here is your set.
I am sorry for the delay, they are shipping in the morning.
I had to replace a small limit sensor on the laser machine, that put me back 3-4 days on lead time, but now it's all back to 5-6 days lead time to build the antennas.

Here you can see, both the pinwheel and the parasitic helix have been tested with spectrum analyzer and work wonderfully.

I am sure if you install the pinwheel on the phantom you will get a better range than using the stock antennas on the phantom.

You can see the pictures of your set here...

When it comes to Pinwheel antennas, there is no match for these, CL or SPW don't match up.

Thanks, Tony!

Cannot wait to get it going...

Joao Diogo Paiva, AKA Cavaleiro01

I've only changed the repeater and have flown to 6142 feet with a tplink 9dBi directional and 8 dBi omni. Lost video around 5500' then lost telemetry and control at about the same time - then RTH kicked in. This is with 640x480 video. I had to fly sideways from 2800 feet on. I also found that powering the repeater helps so it is topped off with a little usb power pack during flight. This is in an area with little or no interference and flying at 280' http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTIeJO2qeE

nhoover said:
I've only changed the repeater and have flown to 6142 feet with a tplink 9dBi directional and 8 dBi omni. Lost video around 5500' then lost telemetry and control at about the same time - then RTH kicked in. This is with 640x480 video. I had to fly sideways from 2800 feet on. I also found that powering the repeater helps so it is topped off with a little usb power pack during flight. This is in an area with little or no interference and flying at 280' http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTIeJO2qeE

Hi all, can someone tell me what is that software or tools to get same reading wh at in the video? I need to test my settings,i am always getting N/A after 1000m in DJI vision application
Please help.
Thanks

I bought the helical and the sw24 and the hookups don't work they are male and the repeater upgrade is female
Not sure what connectors I need any help would be great thanks

themosttoys said:
10,500 feet = Circular Wireless SPW24 on the P2V, HELIAXIAL24 on the repeater, NEEWER 11dbi patch on controller.
12,800 feet = Same antennas, add amp to P2V. Lost control signal, still had clear video at 640x480 at full pan / yaw.

I'm confident that the video (WIFI) setup will do more than 16,000 feet. However to accomplish that something might need to be done with the control signal and I'd need a day without wind because that is also about the realistic limit of my battery (32,000 feet round trip.)

Quick Question. I will be running the identical antenna setup as you, except two SPW24's on either side and not just one along with the same Helical. Anyway I may want to add an amplifier to the P2V and was wondering what you think the max wattage I should go with? I see a lot of 2.5watt and 2watt amplifiers available. Do you think that may be too strong a signal that it may cause problems with the 5ghz or should I keep it to something under 1watt?

As far as range, I've been able to get as far as 2,500 feet flying sideways with stock P2Vand 8dbi omni using lowest preview settings. With the P2V's antenna's swapped to two 6dbi omni's I've still not been able to go further than that yet but I was showing full signal vs 1 bar at that same distance, It would just be unreliable but I could do it at any orientation. I'm hoping with the two Skew Planer antennas and the Helical I'll get to at lest 1km without amplification at the 640x480 preview setting but if it can't I want to go with the amp. Also what size lipo would you recommend powering it with? Would a 1300mah 3S lipo be good?

mr_3_0_5 said:
Probably about the same I'm in a residential neighborhood at the moment
Been trying To avoid modding the pv2 But I feel like that's the only way to get it out that far
Still don't see that adding the pinwheel is going to triple my distance

Adding the Pinwheel wont triple your distance. It may give you 10 to 25% more range. The pinwheels are more about giving you any orientation reliably than a signifigant distance gain. Short of adding really large pinwheels. The one's he's using are 2.3dbi gain which couldn't be much more than the stock antennas. You can also mix and match a pinwheel with a high gain omni directional. And if you're afraid of taking your P2V's camera apart to do the mod, you can view my video here on the easy method of doing it without having to take it all apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_nVHSkSdo

mr_3_0_5 said:
Yes one stock antenna and one tp link 8 dbi got me to 1800 ft

FYI adding two antennas vs one doesn't increase range. Best reason for doing a duel setup is to mix and match a directional with an omni.

copysat said:
nhoover said:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTIeJO2qeE[/quote]

Hi all, can someone tell me what is that software or tools to get same reading wh at in the video? I need to test my settings,i am always getting N/A after 1000m in DJI vision application
Please help.
Thanks

Read about the Flytrex Core - http://www.flytrex.com and mentioned in various threads here. It's $50 and includes access to a nice site to maintain a list of all your "missions" and participate in challenges, find other fliers, earn badges etc. Here is my profile where you can see the missions I've made public. http://www.flytrex.com/nathan.hoover/

To do the video overlays I used Dashware from dashware.net - $50, windows only.

And please file a bug with DJI to get them to fix the 1000m thing. Can't believe they did that.

BenDronePilot said:
themosttoys said:
10,500 feet = Circular Wireless SPW24 on the P2V, HELIAXIAL24 on the repeater, NEEWER 11dbi patch on controller.
12,800 feet = Same antennas, add amp to P2V. Lost control signal, still had clear video at 640x480 at full pan / yaw.

I'm confident that the video (WIFI) setup will do more than 16,000 feet. However to accomplish that something might need to be done with the control signal and I'd need a day without wind because that is also about the realistic limit of my battery (32,000 feet round trip.)

Quick Question. I will be running the identical antenna setup as you, except two SPW24's on either side and not just one along with the same Helical. Simple answer is that (as Ben stated) having two will not outperform one. A little more is that having two, unless they are separated by at least five inches, could actually reduce effectiveness (will still work, just perhaps not as well as one). On the other hand, unless the one is unobstructed by the camera (aka, hanging it below the landing gear) it too may not be as effective as two.Anyway I may want to add an amplifier to the P2V and was wondering what you think the max wattage I should go with? I see a lot of 2.5watt and 2watt amplifiers available. Do you think that may be too strong a signal that it may cause problems with the 5ghz or should I keep it to something under 1watt? Amplifier effectiveness is less about wattage and more about noise. If the amp is very noisy it could not only be less effective than a lower wattage but may also stomp on 5.8ghz (otherwise it (2.4) should not hurt 5.8). Bottom line is that with good antennas, 500mw is much more than enough power to out distance the P2V maximum flight envelope. I'm using an 800mw that is actually testing out to be 350mw and it goes as far as the P2V will go.

As far as range, I've been able to get as far as 2,500 feet flying sideways with stock P2Vand 8dbi omni using lowest preview settings. With the P2V's antenna's swapped to two 6dbi omni's I've still not been able to go further than that yet but I was showing full signal vs 1 bar at that same distance, It would just be unreliable but I could do it at any orientation. I'm hoping with the two Skew Planer antennas and the Helical I'll get to at lest 1km without amplification at the 640x480 preview setting but if it can't I want to go with the amp. With a good SP & Helical, you will be able to exceed 1km without amplification. I did 3km (in a rural area) and just under 2km in suburban (without any amplification)Also what size lipo would you recommend powering it with? Would a 1300mah 3S lipo be good? Before I patched into the P2V main battery, I used a 2s 1000mah lipo. It was just under 60 grams, not too much, but I decided to remove it (the weight) and tap into the P2V battery. Either way works.

BenDronePilot said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
Yes one stock antenna and one tp link 8 dbi got me to 1800 ft

FYI adding two antennas vs one doesn't increase range. Best reason for doing a duel setup is to mix and match a directional with an omni.

Kinda what's going on here one stock antenna and one 8 dbi omni

BenDronePilot said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
Probably about the same I'm in a residential neighborhood at the moment
Been trying To avoid modding the pv2 But I feel like that's the only way to get it out that far
Still don't see that adding the pinwheel is going to triple my distance

Adding the Pinwheel wont triple your distance. It may give you 10 to 25% more range. The pinwheels are more about giving you any orientation reliably than a signifigant distance gain. Short of adding really large pinwheels. The one's he's using are 2.3dbi gain which couldn't be much more than the stock antennas. You can also mix and match a pinwheel with a high gain omni directional. And if you're afraid of taking your P2V's camera apart to do the mod, you can view my video here on the easy method of doing it without having to take it all apart.

Just going by what was said here
Before changing the antenna on the P2V I tried everything (including professional grade antennas, amps, repeaters) on the repeater side. No matter what I did, the best results were 2200 feet (and that was flying sideways). Of course that was before we knew the antennas in the P2V were LHCP (an important fact to know). But by then I had already gone down my path and was happy. To the best of my knowledge, PVflyer is the only person on the planet that has achieved good results with the stock P2V antennas. Improving the P2V antenna (properly) more than tripped my range.

Good luck and happy flying

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4[/quote]

nhoover said:
And please file a bug with DJI to get them to fix the 1000m thing. Can't believe they did that.

Why is this considered a bug? The product was advertised to have 300m to 500m maximum range. It is also a product that requires visual line of sight (I challenge anyone to maintain VLOS of this white 1.5sqft craft at over 500m). If anything it was purposely done to try and discourage doing it.

BTW, I completely agree and would much prefer this was not a limitation, however that does not make it a "bug".

mr_3_0_5 said:
Just going by what was said here
Before changing the antenna on the P2V I tried everything (including professional grade antennas, amps, repeaters) on the repeater side. No matter what I did, the best results were 2200 feet (and that was flying sideways). Of course that was before we knew the antennas in the P2V were LHCP (an important fact to know). But by then I had already gone down my path and was happy. To the best of my knowledge, PVflyer is the only person on the planet that has achieved good results with the stock P2V antennas. Improving the P2V antenna (properly) more than tripped my range.

Good luck and happy flying

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Quoting myself in the third party is making me dizzy. :)

Okay, let's see if I can clear all this up a little.

When I had a stock P2V, I and everyone else had assumed that the antennas were linear. I tried everything on the ground side, including different amps, repeaters and over two dozen different omni and directional (patch) antennas. While there were a few exceptions where I was able to fly out beyond 2200 feet, they were NOT reliable and required careful sideways flying under good conditions. My best repeatable results were 2200 feet. There were others that had better results than I did, some going as far as 3300 feet (as always YMMV). Flying sideways seemed pointless to me and I needed a way to resolve that.

To make a long story short, after a LOT of changes and testing I added the SPW24 to the P2V and the HELIAXIAL24 to the stock repeater and my range went to 10,500ft in rural area, in the same urban area that I maxed out at 2200ft (reliable) I could now exceed 6500ft (reliable) maxing out at 8500ft (triple the results I saw prior to adding the SPW24 to the P2V regardless of what the ground setup was.) Also remembering that at that time I did not know the P2V was LHCP, so I never tried any LHCP antennas.

ClimbrJohn said:
Do we just need matching RCHP or LHCP on both ends for optimal performance?)
Both ends MUST match. Mixing LHCP with RHCP will (for all intensive purposes) cancel out the signal fairly completely.

FPVLR said:
We use rp-sma connectors for this LHCP antenna so there's no need to use adapters like some other brands.
Not sure which brand you are referencing (SMA / RP-SMA is a type of connector, not brand specific) but a few thoughts. The whole SMA vs RP-SMA fiasco across the industry has always been ridiculous, unnecessary and an ongoing pain in the butt. I can't count how many different types of antenna cables and adapters I have because of this situation. For example (one that drives me particularly crazy) while RP-SMA does seem to be more common in the consumer market, in the prosumer market it is SMA (off the top of my head I can't remember ever even seeing an RP-SMA attenuator, even my consumer grade RF meter is SMA, go figure.) Luckily, in the Phantom 2 Vision there is not a single instance of an SMA or RP-SMA connector. Since a U'fl pigtail adapter is required anyway, just use the right type and there's no difference.

FPVLR said:
I am working on designing an even more compact solution. basically an attachment with 3 antennas in one, 2 2.4 helix atennas, 1 5.8 3 turn helix, all built into one small unit, colored white to match the controller. That would work very very well with minimal space requirements.
Now this sounds interesting. Good idea.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik