Antenna mods rc and wifi extender

itchybeard said:
Hi, Saao

I have started using "Vision+ Utility Pro" by Taco RC, because it allows you to boost the Range Extender as well as the Wi-Fi module in the bird. It also has a handy flight logging feature.

Now then, I have been looking at the spec of your RF amp on the Horizon webpage ....

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mp-1-watt/

Note: The input power is from 1mw up to a maximum of 100mw.

TX Input Power: 1 mW (0dBm) min up to 100mW (20dBm) max

If you use this amp with your transitter in FCC mode (100mw) then you are right on the maximum limit, and if your transmitter peaks at above 100mw you are likely to flood the amp causing dropouts in the link. You may even end up burning out the amp.

If you use the amp with your transmitter in CE mode (25mw) you are still well above the minimum input (1mw), so you will still get your 1000mw output and even if your transmitter peaks at 30mw then it would be well within the limits of the amp, geddit?

All the best

Itchy

Hey Itchy,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums having bought my P2V+ back in July. I've recently been dabbling with antenna mods and have installed my transmitter antennas with great success (I also removed the glue for a better connection). Anyway, just want to say that this particular post was very useful indeed. I've been thinking about getting powered boosters but had been put off by other posts saying an attenuator was needed for the 2.4Ghz to reduce the input signal, but your utterly common sense post made me realise that all we need to do is use blummin CE mode! Like you say, it doesn't matter if the input is 10mw or 95mw, the output will still be 1000mw. Better to have a lower input and prolong the life of the booster! :)

Cheers mate!

allemtura said:
Hey Itchy,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums having bought my P2V+ back in July. I've recently been dabbling with antenna mods and have installed my transmitter antennas with great success (I also removed the glue for a better connection). Anyway, just want to say that this particular post was very useful indeed. I've been thinking about getting powered boosters but had been put off by other posts saying an attenuator was needed for the 2.4Ghz to reduce the input signal, but your utterly common sense post made me realise that all we need to do is use blummin CE mode! Like you say, it doesn't matter if the input is 10mw or 95mw, the output will still be 1000mw. Better to have a lower input and prolong the life of the booster! :)

Cheers mate!

Always happy to help, Allemtura. Welcome aboard! ;)

allemtura said:
Hey Itchy,

Cheers mate!

However, CE mode will only attenuate the 5.8Ghz side for you not the 2.4, but if you are running an android display device then you can use Taco RC's "Vision+ Utility Pro" app to reduce the power of the 2.4 Ghz Range Extender to match your amp.

itchybeard said:
However, CE mode will only attenuate the 5.8Ghz side for you not the 2.4, but if you are running an android display device then you can use Taco RC's "Vision+ Utility Pro" app to reduce the power of the 2.4 Ghz Range Extender to match your amp.
Ahh good point!!

I have an iPhone so can't use that app unfortunately, but I see there is a "Vision+ Utility" by Ka Yue Mak which may be similar. I'll do some digging on here to see if it too will let me reduce the power output.

Thanks!

itchybeard said:
saao said:
itchy beard said:
Rsma and rp-sma are the same thing.

so this means i could by this amp it will be useful to me?

Yes, it looks like you can use the cable that comes with the amp to connect it to your range extender (presuming it's rsma at both ends) but you'll still need another cable to connect the output from the amp to the antenna, innit?

Something like this ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-RP-SMA-P ... p-sma+plug
Hey bro bought the 2.4 ghx amp will connect it and see the results but i have noticed that after the mods when the phantom connection is broken during flight today it was showing my bird on a different side despite it was in frint of luke it wasnt calibrated i brought it down calibrated again but still the same would ur take on it?

saao said:
Hey bro bought the 2.4 ghx amp will connect it and see the results but i have noticed that after the mods when the phantom connection is broken during flight today it was showing my bird on a different side despite it was in frint of luke it wasnt calibrated i brought it down calibrated again but still the same would ur take on it?

I think you're talking about the radar display. If you have calibrated the Phantom's compass and the radar display is showing the wrong heading then it means that the compass on your phone needs to be calibrated. I get this quite often, so I calibrate the compass on my phone before every flight.

itchybeard said:
saao said:

I think you're talking about the radar display. If you have calibrated the Phantom's compass and the radar display is showing the wrong heading then it means that the compass on your phone needs to be calibrated. I get this quite often, so I calibrate the compass on my phone before every flight.
How do u do that ?

Im only installing one antenna on the wifi range extender, any preferences on which PCI connection to use? Or are both connections inside the extender the same?

Laspillaga said:
Im only installing one antenna on the wifi range extender, any preferences on which PCI connection to use? Or are both connections inside the extender the same?

That's the one I'm using for my long-range circular polarised "cannon", I believe it is the master, but it shouldn't really matter as the wifi board in the range extender will poll both sockets to look for a signal.

Attachments

• re700.jpg
    re700.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 402
itchybeard said:
Laspillaga said:

That's the one I'm using for my long-range circular polarised "cannon", I believe it is the master, but it shouldn't really matter as the wifi board in the range extender will poll both sockets to look for a signal.

a lot of people on forums have said the left one is the master i guess its hard to tell one can just experiment ….!

itchybeard said:
Laspillaga said:

Bro something strange happened after 8nstalling my 2.4 amp and boosting the app to 17dbi my connection breaks at 1000 feet it just freezes ?

itchybeard said:
Laspillaga said:

Hey bro so after my strange connection breaking at 1000 feet i opened up my wifi extender and saw that one of the wires from the rpsma connector was broken so i was only on one anteena 12 dbi one. I had another connector luckily so i put it all bak and tested i have achieved 6000 feet almost 1.9 km and the app boosted to 17dbi then my connection broke for fpv phantom itself was ready to go further. Tomorrow ill increase the app booster and see where i go. No amp for 2.4 yet

saao said:
Hey bro so after my strange connection breaking at 1000 feet i opened up my wifi extender and saw that one of the wires from the rpsma connector was broken so i was only on one anteena 12 dbi one. I had another connector luckily so i put it all bak and tested i have achieved 6000 feet almost 1.9 km and the app boosted to 17dbi then my connection broke for fpv phantom itself was ready to go further. Tomorrow ill increase the app booster and see where i go. No amp for 2.4 yet

Nice!

You must be happier now, Saao. If you put some LHCP skew-planar antennas on the bird then you will probably be able to get out a lot further, even without any amps. Will at Horizon FPV is now making very light-weight skew-planars for the Phantom in both 2.4 Ghz (7 grams each) and 5.8 Ghz (4.5 grams each). They have now become available to order on his site (only available in matched pairs).

I get mine tomorrow :D

itchybeard said:
saao said:

Nice!

You must be happier now, Saao. If you put some LHCP skew-planar antennas on the bird then you will probably be able to get out a lot further, even without any amps. Will at Horizon FPV is now making very light-weight skew-planars for the Phantom in both 2.4 Ghz (7 grams each) and 5.8 Ghz (4.5 grams each). They have now become available to order on his site (only available in matched pairs).

I get mine tomorrow :D
Yea i saw that but it doesn't show the picture yet. I have msgd him waiting for his reply will there be a difference in range since he has made them small?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj