Antenna mods rc and wifi extender

Reaction score
Hey guys i installed my horizon extreme kit yesterday some questions i had was looking for advice i soldered the rpsma directly at the 50ohm point mark instead of splicing.

If i have done something wrong on the rc mod the phantom wouldn't work or wont give best results ? After connecting antennas the phantom is working and took it to the 3200 feet mark but on a standard i was getting 2600 so thats not a bug jump. Itvwas breaking connection after the 3200 mark alltitude was 250 feetbut was on and of then it was stable. Did i do something wrong ?

The extender was working perfectly fine but i did have to use the booster app cause time to time the further inwent it said phantom connection broken i am currently on 640*480 15fps

Plz advice i am concerned if i didnt do anything ryte?

I am using a 5.8 ghz amp as well keep in mind

Hi, Saao

Did you lose the control link?

If it said "Phantom connection broken" that means you lost the 2.4Ghz wi-fi connection not the 5.8Ghz the control link. Otherwise it would say "control signal lost"

If you are not seeing this then your soldering job is probably fine and you are just running out of wi-fi range.

What phone/pad are you using as your display?
Where are you flying, is it open land or are there trees, buildings, cell towers or power lines?

Also 250 feet altitude is quite low. When I installed my horizon kit I managed to get out to 4230 feet (with no amp) using the booster app, but I was at 350 feet altitude. Try taking her out at 400 feet running at a lower resolution like 320 x 240 30fps and see what happens, and remember, you must keep the antenna pointed accurately at the bird. Your radar display can help you to do this, but make sure that the compass on your phone/pad is calibrated correctly first. I calibrate my phone's compass before each flight these days.

Also, if your display device is running Android, you might want to have a look at this post ....

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25896

Attachments

• control lost.jpg
    control lost.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 913
Well control signal of lost gets back stable it more of the 2.4 signal i am using a s4 settings are 640*480 15 fps and yes i have some cell towers that way so let me try some other direction and let u no bro thanks a lot

saao said:
Well control signal of lost gets back stable it more of the 2.4 signal i am using a s4 settings are 640*480 15 fps and yes i have some cell towers that way so let me try some other direction and let u no bro thanks a lot

It might be a good idea to take the amp off as well, Saao. You should be getting more range even without an amp. If you want to check that your 5.8 Ghz soldering job is OK, you can't do that with an amp fitted. You need to test it first and then when you know it's good you can put the amp back on.

saao said:
True that i was thinking about the same thing

Okay, good.

When you do put the amp back on, bear in mind that Will at Horizon FPV says that you should turn the transmitter to CE mode (25 milliwatts). You don't want to flood the amp with to much RF input or it may affect performance. but obviously, without the amp you should test the transmitter in FCC mode, eh?

Good luck, Saao. I hope it works out for you.

Hi, Saao

I have started using "Vision+ Utility Pro" by Taco RC, because it allows you to boost the Range Extender as well as the Wi-Fi module in the bird. It also has a handy flight logging feature.

Now then, I have been looking at the spec of your RF amp on the Horizon webpage ....

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mp-1-watt/

Note: The input power is from 1mw up to a maximum of 100mw.

TX Input Power: 1 mW (0dBm) min up to 100mW (20dBm) max

If you use this amp with your transitter in FCC mode (100mw) then you are right on the maximum limit, and if your transmitter peaks at above 100mw you are likely to flood the amp causing dropouts in the link. You may even end up burning out the amp.

If you use the amp with your transmitter in CE mode (25mw) you are still well above the minimum input (1mw), so you will still get your 1000mw output and even if your transmitter peaks at 30mw then it would be well within the limits of the amp, geddit?

All the best

Itchy

itchybeard said:
Hi, Saao

I have started using "Vision+ Utility Pro" by Taco RC, because it allows you to boost the Range Extender as well as the Wi-Fi module in the bird. It also has a handy flight logging feature.

Now then, I have been looking at the spec of your RF amp on the Horizon webpage ....

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mp-1-watt/

Note: The input power is from 1mw up to a maximum of 100mw.

TX Input Power: 1 mW (0dBm) min up to 100mW (20dBm) max

If you use this amp with your transitter in FCC mode (100mw) then you are right on the maximum limit, and if your transmitter peaks at above 100mw you are likely to flood the amp causing dropouts in the link. You may even end up burning out the amp.

If you use the amp with your transmitter in CE mode (25mw) you are still well above the minimum input (1mw), so you will still get your 1000mw output and even if your transmitter peaks at 30mw then it would be well within the limits of the amp, geddit?

All the best

Itchy

thanks a lot bro ill switch it to ce mode so that i don't have any issues at this point my nay concern is fpv what the point of long range if i don't have fpv i don't no how people are getting 15000 20000 feet of fpv it strange ill buy that app today lets c if its help flu

Mmmmmm, impressive looking rig, saao.

saao said:
thanks a lot bro ill switch it to ce mode so that i don't have any issues at this point my nay concern is fpv what the point of long range if i don't have fpv i don't no how people are getting 15000 20000 feet of fpv it strange ill buy that app today lets c if its help flu

Well, you could always buy a Sunhans 2.4Gz 2500mw amp and then use the Vision+ Utility Pro app to adjust the output of the range extender to match it, innit? :)

itchybeard said:
Mmmmmm, impressive looking rig, saao.

saao said:

Well, you could always buy a Sunhans 2.4Gz 2500mw amp and then use the Vision+ Utility Pro app to adjust the output of the range extender to match it, innit? :)

check this link out do u think the 1000 mw amp would work its available easily at my side?
http://amdpk.com/?p=1520

saao said:
check this link out do u think the 1000 mw amp would work its available easily at my side?

Yes, I don't see why not, Saao, and you could run it from a cell-phone power-bank (it takes 5v at 1amp)

You'd have to adjust the output of your range extender though, that amp will only handle a maximum of 79mw. You could use the "Vision+ Utility Pro" app to adjust the range extender's output to 25mw and it should work just fine ;)

itchybeard said:
saao said:

Yes, I don't see why not, Saao, and you could run it from a cell-phone power-bank (it takes 5v at 1amp)

You'd have to adjust the output of your range extender though, that amp will only handle a maximum of 79mw. You could use the "Vision+ Utility Pro" app to adjust the range extender's output to 25mw and it should work just fine ;)
i have already bought i 2800 may 11.1 volt lipo for the 5.8 amp so i think i could use both of them in one lipo?

saao said:
i have already bought i 2800 may 11.1 volt lipo for the 5.8 amp so i think i could use both of them in one lipo?

Errr .... I would not do that if I were you. Have a look at your link. It says the Operation Voltage of that amp is DC 5V 1A, not 11.1 volts.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic