Android Tablets

Reaction score
I know there are lots of discussions on what tablets could/should be used.
Curious if everyone could summarize the Pros & Cons of your Android Tablet.
Seems like there are always a few key areas of concern
  • Does it actually work with the DJI Pilot app?
  • How well does it keep up with streaming video
  • How does it perform in the sun
Personally I am most interested in the sun performance, I currently have/use Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" which does ok keeping up with the video but is extremely hard to see in the sun.

I have seen the Nvidia shield being fairly popular but I think I read somewhere it does not do well in the sun?

Also curious if anyone has a sun shield that works well with your tablet?
Seems like all the shields I have seen are for iPads

Thanks

Reactions: JerryEl
Put on a anti glare screen cover and get yourself a hood. I use a galaxy tab 4 8.1 works great

nVidia w/ anti glare screen cover is no problem in the sun. If it gets hard to see, I just turn my back to the sun.

Reactions: Fplvert
I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact tablet and it has a very high brightness level. Might be worth considering...

I use a Galaxy Tab S 8.4" Super Amoled it's brighter than any ipad and is octo-core (8) cpu and i believe the gpu is hexacore (6). It may be the brightest tab available till the xperia z4 drops which is boasting it's the brightest...
the tab s is plenty bright imo i just wish it would get as bright as my note 4 which murders sunlight

Is there any reason why a brand name tablet that has android 4.1.2 or later would not work (obviously having GPS and data connection brings more functionality)?
I would like to use the Samsung Galaxy Active 8, because it is weather proof and has GPS. Can anyone confirm this tablet works?
Thanks

Is there any reason why a brand name tablet that has android 4.1.2 or later would not work (obviously having GPS and data connection brings more functionality)?
I would like to use the Samsung Galaxy Active 8, because it is weather proof and has GPS. Can anyone confirm this tablet works?
Thanks

You also have to factor in video lag - some are better than others.. some users are more crtical than others. In answer to your question it is a personal preference. Some tablets the compass doesn't work with the app. That is why most people stick to tablets that have been tried by others - example Nvidia shield

I use a Galaxy Tab S 8.4" Super Amoled it's brighter than any ipad and is octo-core (8) cpu and i believe the gpu is hexacore (6). It may be the brightest tab available till the xperia z4 drops which is boasting it's the brightest...
the tab s is plenty bright imo i just wish it would get as bright as my note 4 which murders sunlight

Lou... can you check what version app your running ? I just went to the Tab S and as stated works great but I did notice that the # of satellites is not displayed ...it does show "bar" strength and "safe to fly" GPS but no Sat count ......I did some research and the Tab S is running 1.0.10 (inspire) and If I use my Galaxy S6 the app is 1.1.0 ........ thanks ......m

Thanks
I'm guessing you won't be happy with the performance of that tablet. The screen resolution is pretty bad, and the CPU is on the low end of the spectrum.

Lou... can you check what version app your running ? I just went to the Tab S and as stated works great but I did notice that the # of satellites is not displayed ...it does show "bar" strength and "safe to fly" GPS but no Sat count ......I did some research and the Tab S is running 1.0.10 (inspire) and If I use my Galaxy S6 the app is 1.1.0 ........ thanks ......m

I have the tab S 8.4 and it does show the sat count on mine, top left, 2nd or 3rd box in

I agree the colours on the tab s 8.4 are very vibrant but I don't think its any brighter than my iPad (mini gen 1) I have as well.
Bright sun light will wash it out completely, I did also fit a matte screen on it to reduce the glare.

I have hopefully got an iPad mini gen 2 in transit to me so I can run the app on it and compare (apples with non fruit)

I know there are lots of discussions on what tablets could/should be used.
Curious if everyone could summarize the Pros & Cons of your Android Tablet.
Seems like there are always a few key areas of concern
  • Does it actually work with the DJI Pilot app?
  • How well does it keep up with streaming video
  • How does it perform in the sun
Personally I am most interested in the sun performance, I currently have/use Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" which does ok keeping up with the video but is extremely hard to see in the sun.

I have seen the Nvidia shield being fairly popular but I think I read somewhere it does not do well in the sun?

Also curious if anyone has a sun shield that works well with your tablet?
Seems like all the shields I have seen are for iPads

Thanks
I am using the Nvidia Shield. It is more about the processor power that can handle the video. The version is important but the horsepower of the processor is what handles the video. The Shield does need anti-glare and a hood. Can not see it all with polarized sunglasses.

The Shield does need anti-glare and a hood. Can not see it all with polarized sunglasses.
I'm guessing screen film's are different. I put one on my Shield and it just killed the brightness of the screen to where I could not see much of anything. I pulled it off after the first flight and I can deal with the slight reflection on the screen much better then not being able to see much at all. I'm guessing it may have been the brand of film I was using. I'm going to put together a simple sun shade today and see how that works.

I'm guessing screen film's are different. I put one on my Shield and it just killed the brightness of the screen to where I could not see much of anything. I pulled it off after the first flight and I can deal with the slight reflection on the screen much better then not being able to see much at all. I'm guessing it may have been the brand of film I was using. I'm going to put together a simple sun shade today and see how that works.
I agree. Put an anti glare on yesterday and the screen was so washed out I couldn't see anything. I will be removing it before my next flight.

I have an Ipad Mini w/Retina. I believe it's referred to now as the Ipad Mini 2.

There are some serious bugs with the IOS version, mainly 3 things that I'm aware of.

1. Return to Home Height defaults to 0
2. No way to reset the active Home Point
3. The Firmware detects an Aircraft updated required unless you power up the RC Last.

I do not know if these same issues happen on the Android tablets or not. I dug out my old Nexus 7 first gen and updated it to the latest greatest android OS and the Play store tells me my Device is not compatible with the DJI Pilot App. However a junky Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 I also have has no problem being compatible but its just too laggy to seriously try and use.

Android user here so:

1) It's a bug in the display value in the app, doesn't effect your actual RTH height after you set it once. (It's stored on the bird)
2) Coming soon to both flavors I believe.
3) So turn on the RC last, not really a big deal.

its 1.1.0 the latest from dji

that was the issue with the satellite count .....if you install from the play store it installs the inspire app .... you need to get the app from dji and will need to change security settings to install .....m

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers