Altitude

Reaction score
Are you only allowed to fly at 400ft?
And if not how do you change the limit from 400ft to a higher number?

Just click on number and change,onscreen message comes up asking if you agree or disagree,if you disagree it won't change,(just means you accept responsibility)
Screenshot_20180111-194511.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Daniel Lindsey
???? By law (in the USA), the FAA mandates a 400ft max. You’re breaking the law by going any higher. What Phantom are you flying? All newer DJI’s with fairly recent firmware will limit you to 400ft max (I believe).

???? By law (in the USA), the FAA mandates a 400ft max. You’re breaking the law by going any higher. What Phantom are you flying? All newer DJI’s with fairly recent firmware will limit you to 400ft max (I believe).
Phantom 4 pro. Thanks! I thought that it was the limit, but a little bit back I saw a forum where a guy said if you where above a building it was 400ft plus the hight of the building. But I think he might have been from the UK, so I guess the rules ate different over there....? 400ft is high enough for me, but I was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything that I can do with my drone that is legal.

Phantom 4 pro. Thanks! I thought that it was the limit, but a little bit back I saw a forum where a guy said if you where above a building it was 400ft plus the hight of the building. But I think he might have been from the UK, so I guess the rules ate different over there....? 400ft is high enough for me, but I was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything that I can do with my drone that is legal.
The rules refer to how high your drone is above the ground ... not how high it is above launch point.
The two aren't necessarily the same.

In the uk the max height you can use in the drone is 500 metres. I admit I have done that when I first got my drone over a year ago and wow was it amazing but I wouldn't do it again. This is what it looks like if your interested to see how High it goes in the uk

It depends whether you are flying under Part 101 (recreational) or Part 107 (non-recreational).

14 CFR 107.51 sets an altitude limit of 400 ft AGL b (in the absence of a waiver):

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:

(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and

(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

14 CFR 101.41 simply requires you to fly within a "community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization". That is commonly regarded to mean the AMA Safety Code, which, as the FAA has acknowledged, does not set a hard altitude limit.

The DJI aircraft firmware has a default limit of 120 m (394 ft) above the takeoff point (not AGL), but that can be changed up to 500 m (1640 ft) in the settings.

The take I've gotten from by my local Feds is that the 2014 FAA Interpretation of section 336 indicates the FAA expects hobbyists to stay out of controlled airspace unless permission is granted. With regards to altitude (vertical airspace) most of the US above 1,200 AGL is Class E, in areas next to large cities and airports you'll see vertical Class E drop to 700'. To me it seems legally, in the US, you can fly up to 1,199' (or 699') feet depending where you are (excluding the AMA's 400' requirement when 3 miles from an airport). Does that mean you should? Of course not! I see 2 things creating risk - ensuring consistent VLOS and the "potential" to interfere with other aircraft as the 400' FAA "recommendation" is not being followed.

In my mind this is a mess and there needs to be a clear and concise altitude requirement for hobbyists.

(getting off soapbox)

PS - If some of you think I'm off-base here, let's discuss! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Lindsey
The take I've gotten from by my local Feds is that the 2014 FAA Interpretation of section 336 indicates the FAA expects hobbyists to stay out of controlled airspace unless permission is granted. With regards to altitude (vertical airspace) most of the US above 1,200 AGL is Class E, in areas next to large cities and airports you'll see vertical Class E drop to 700'. To me it seems legally, in the US, you can fly up to 1,199' (or 699') feet depending where you are (excluding the AMA's 400' requirement when 3 miles from an airport). Does that mean you should? Of course not! I see 2 tings creating risk - remaining consistent VLOS and the "potential" to interfere with other aircraft as the 400' FAA "recommendation" is not being followed.

In my mind this is a mess and there needs to be a clear and concise altitude requirement for hobbyists.

(getting off soapbox)

PS - If some of you think I'm off-base here, let's discuss! :)

I think that the FAA likely feels that is what they may be able to enforce, although it hasn't stopped them from attempting to create at least the appearance of a 400 ft limit for recreational flight in their guides/FAQs and registration website.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
In the uk the max height you can use in the drone is 500 metres. I admit I have done that when I first got my drone over a year ago and wow was it amazing but I wouldn't do it again. This is what it looks like if your interested to see how High it goes in the uk

Is there a way of checking if there's low flying aircraft in your area before doing this?i would like to do it but i want to be safe as well.flight radar perhaps?

Is there a way of checking if there's low flying aircraft in your area before doing this?i would like to do it but i want to be safe as well.flight radar perhaps?
Flight tracker is on app can look at but like most they never accurate,small planes and helicopters can appear from nowhere,if I attempt anything I got couple mates with me to act as spotters,eyes and ears open,

The 400ft rule is not a law and does not apply to Sec 336 operators. I emailed the FAA a few days ago and asked as I plan on visiting the USA and also wanted to know if tourists need to register their drones with the FAA

On 16-Jan-18 11:19 PM, [email protected] wrote:
>
> Sir,
>
>
> If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you may complete the process provided in the web-based registration portal for section 336 aircraft. The agency will consider the certificate that is issued to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration. These conditions are consistent with and impose no greater burden than the requirements imposed on U.S. citizens conducting model aircraft operations in the U.S. There is no legal requirement to fly under 400ft for those operating under Section 336.
>
> Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS for commercial purposes, you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.
> For more information and guidance regarding authorities for non-U.S. citizens, please contact the Department's Foreign Air Carrier Licensing Division.
> SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
> (a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
> (a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
> (b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
> (c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
> (d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.
>
>
>
> Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.
>
>
>
>
> Please follow up with any further inquiries at [email protected]. Additional information is also available at https://www.faa.gov/uas/.
>
> We appreciate your feedback. Please select: UAS Safety and Integration Division AUS-400.
>
> From:
> Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 1:07:23 PM
> To: 9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA);
> Subject: Drone registration for tourists visiting the USA and max legal height.
>
> Hi there
>
> I see that new regulations will require registration of drones. If I
> visit the USA will I as a tourist need to register my drone. Also as a
> hobby flier is the law for max height 400 feet or is this still a guideline?
>
> Please see the attached reply to another enquirer but it the answer
> stating that it is not a legal requirement I would like to check.
>
> Regards

Last edited:

Maybe you should not be speaking for the FAA. The FAA have emailed and advised many people this is not so. DJI firmware does not limit drones to 400ft the max height is 500m or 1640 ft.

FAA RULING.jpg

It's not like this topic has not been beaten to death here for years. Countless threads with hundreds of posts on this issue.

I still fail to see why people think (at this time) there is a 400' limit on hobby fliers. Section 333/336 states no such thing and the FAA has confirmed in writing that this is not a limit. There certainly was a time in the past when the FAA lied to people about this.

Reactions: sar104
It's not like this topic has not been beaten to death here for years. Countless threads with hundreds of posts on this issue.

I still fail to see why people think (at this time) there is a 400' limit on hobby fliers. Section 333/336 states no such thing and the FAA has confirmed in writing that this is not a limit. There certainly was a time in the past when the FAA lied to people about this.

“Lied” may be a bit strong, but they certainly strongly recommended it and went so far as to imply that it was a rule - until challenged.

“Lied” may be a bit strong, but they certainly strongly recommended it and went so far as to imply that it was a rule - until challenged.
It was all over their websites and they told people this. However, I also add in their history. They have lied about a lot of things related to drones.

Let me just say this.. When I registered with FAA, it made me agree to not fly above 400’. It even says it on the paper they give you to print out. So...call it what you want...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl