Almost Crashed my Phantom 2 V2 Transmitter (issue?)

Thank you QYV! I've taken your information and done a fair amount of investigation into VRS. I believe you are very correct. My problem started with prop guards on a windy day, that caused the copter do an uncontrolled dance in the sky. That caused me to decide to get it down quickly, instigating VRS. I'm not sure what firmware version I'm on but will be checking that out. Glad to learn all of this prior to doing it again. Also glad the result wasn't catastrphic. Thanks again QYV.

Dg661 said:
with prop guards on a windy day ... Thanks again QYV.

my pleasure. I think that statement is your key... sounds like a recipe for VRS regardless of your firmware version.

Just in case it happens again or to anyone else still reading this thread: your best chance for getting out of a VRS (if you can remember it while you're busy freaking out about your plummeting Phantom) is to slam the LATERAL control in any direction. Throttle up/down won't do anything, but a VRS is a vertical column of air, and if you can get any lateral movement you can possibly get out of it and into good air before you hit the ground.
Not a guarantee, just your best bet.

After watching the video I think I was experiencing VRS, good to know that if your high enough you might be able to fly out of it. I'll check my firmware and try flying without prop guards.

Dg661 said:
This video on YouTube shows VRS quite well and how to try to get out of it. Not sure I'd ever intentionally put mine in VRS, but he shows it well.

http://youtu.be/LCret4rv0HE

that's a decent informative video, although he takes a long time to get to the point :)
basically if you wind up in VRS (your Phantom is falling straight down out of the sky uncontrollably) , all the throttle in the world isn't going to help - your only chance is to slam the LATERAL stick and try to get into "good" air.

http://youtu.be/LCret4rv0HE[/quote]

No matter how long he took in this video to get to the point about VRS and how to regain control of the craft. It's a perfect video for beginners to learn what VRS is instead of finding the hard way which can be costly.

that video has really opened my eyes, thank you for posting. I always thought VRS was something that only happened thousands of feet up, & quite a rare occurrence. Seeing him put it into VRS so low & easily scared me

most of the flying i do is at low level (10metres ish) but do like to go upto the 400ft max for sight seeing shots. When i do these tho they are always straight up, probably turn then straight down with the Phantom in exactly the same spot. Have i been very lucky so far having never had VRS or is the different humitaty/weather in the UK possibly stopping it

p fandango said:
Have i been very lucky so far having never had VRS or is the different humitaty/weather in the UK possibly stopping it

In order to experience a VRS, you have to descend straight down quick enough to get into all that "disturbed" air beneath the copter (remember it happens to any rotary wing craft). It's easy to do if you don't have any restrictions on your flight computer, like the guy in that video with his little demo device but unlike us Phantoms which DO have descent restriction (next paragraph). What you couldn't really see from the angle of that video is that he went up, hovered (creating a pocket of disturbed air beneath his quad) and then dropped full throttle down into that pocket. Then once you're in the VRS pocket you're in it until you hit the ground... unless you remember to slam the lateral stick and get out of the pocket laterally into good air.

In the early days of Phantoms and Phantom 2s it was happening to a lot of people - that's why DJI implemented a forced 2m/s descent rate limit in the v3 firmware (it was 3m/s in v2 firmware). Under most conditions, 2m/s is not fast enough for a Phantom to get into trouble and experience a VRS, although in extra windy conditions (say if the breeze blows downwards) or with prop guards (which drastically increase the size of the "disturbed air" below the phantom) it's still theoretically possible

but under normal conditions, no prop guards, etc. your Phantom is simply restricted from moving straight down fast enough to get into VRS. so that's probably why you (and most Phantom owners these days since the v2 firmware) never experienced it.

thanks that makes sense, just had me worried because it still seems to pipe up on the forum even with the 2m/s.

not that i'll ever do it anyway, but pure curiosity but will it still only descend at 2m/s even in atti

p fandango said:
thanks that makes sense, just had me worried because it still seems to pipe up on the forum even with the 2m/s.

not that i'll ever do it anyway, but pure curiosity but will it still only descend at 2m/s even in atti

yep. not that you'll do what? descend straight down (I do this all the time) or switch to Naza mode to enable ATTI?

QYV said:
not that you'll do what? descend straight down (I do this all the time) or switch to Naza mode to enable ATTI?
ah sorry for not being clear. Meant i'll never fly in ATTI at height, i always fly in GPS. Only flown in ATTI once, but it was alot quicker horizontally as it removes the speed limitation but wondered if it also removed the 2m/s descend limit as well

p fandango said:
QYV said:
not that you'll do what? descend straight down (I do this all the time) or switch to Naza mode to enable ATTI?
ah sorry for not being clear. Meant i'll never fly in ATTI at height, i always fly in GPS. Only flown in ATTI once, but it was alot quicker horizontally as it removes the speed limitation but wondered if it also removed the 2m/s descend limit as well

almost but not exactly - ATTI manifests itself in 2 ways:
1) stops the Phantom from trying to hold it's GPS position in a hover when the lateral stick is idle (in the middle). translation: it will drift with the wind but this also means if the Phantom was moving - when you release the lateral stick, it no longer "stops" the Phantom (to hover in a GPS position) rather the Phantom will continue to move until YOU apply counter-thrust. This is actually cool, because you can "nudge" your Phantom in a direction and rather than having to continually hold the throttle to make it move, you can release the throttle and it'll just keep drifting in that direction. To me it sort of feels like ice skating.

2) it allows 10 degrees more lateral tilt than GPS mode. The (lateral) speed of your Phantom is determined by how far it's allowed to tilt laterally. in GPS mode, full throttle is 25 degrees of tilt which translates to roughly 25mph. When you flip into ATTI, it now allows 35 degrees of tilt which again roughly translates to ~35mph. with a tail wind I've seen 36-38mph before personally (17m/s)

point being, it doesn't "remove the speed limitation" but it does allow for increased speed. It's actually useful if you're trying to fly a long distance. I used ATTI when I did my long distance test a few weeks ago when I hit 1700m, and I use it sometimes when I'm just flying a few hundred meters towards something I want to get a shot of... or if I was flying around and I'm more than a couple hundred meters away and it's time to come home... like if I'm 800m away and heading home I'll line it up, flip into ATTI and it's back that much quicker.

but it does NOT change the 2m/s descent rate restriction. I've personally tested this multiple times.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor