Gusty winds almost crashed my P4P today..

Reaction score
I was flying a real estate job this morning in Chattanooga TN with a Phantom 4 Professional V2. The weather was partly cloudy with gusty winds, after a front moved through. I would estimate gusting to 10 knots or so. No problem I've flown in high winds before, it didn't seem that bad. I took off and the drone was bouncing around occaisonally, but the camera stayed steady, so I pressed on.with some low level shots. I climbed up to 100 ft for some higher shots, and almost immediately I got a "High Winds" advisory in DJI Go 4. No problem, I've seen this before. About a minute after that A huge gust comes along and the camera tilts 30 degrees (exceeded the gimbal limits). Yikes! Before I could react it was back to level again, but I immediately landed, thankful my drone was still in one piece. Obviously steady state and gusty winds are two different things, stay aware of the weather and consider staying on the ground when the winds are gusting.

I was flying a real estate job this morning in Chattanooga TN with a Phantom 4 Professional V2. The weather was partly cloudy with gusty winds, after a front moved through. I would estimate gusting to 10 knots or so. No problem I've flown in high winds before, it didn't seem that bad. I took off and the drone was bouncing around occaisonally, but the camera stayed steady, so I pressed on.with some low level shots. I climbed up to 100 ft for some higher shots, and almost immediately I got a "High Winds" advisory in DJI Go 4. No problem, I've seen this before. About a minute after that A huge gust comes along and the camera tilts 30 degrees (exceeded the gimbal limits). Yikes! Before I could react it was back to level again, but I immediately landed, thankful my drone was still in one piece. Obviously steady state and gusty winds are two different things, stay aware of the weather and consider staying on the ground when the winds are gusting.

One of the thing you can do if know that Gusts can blow the Gimbal straight up is put a little Piece of soft foam behind the Camera , now the downside is your locking the camera in place so place it at the angle you want .

This way your protect the Camera from slamming around exerting pressure on the Ribbon and gimbal allowing you for a more secure flight and great video.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom 4 in and out of the storm
Coal

Reactions: Capt KO
I too in Chattanooga. I found UAV FORECAST very useful APP. They have a free version and a paid version for $29.99 a year. Download Free and check it out. The wind is accurate

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4