Aircraft lost control in follow me mode

wow that's scary i'm not the only one. How did you catch it back. In P-mode ?

Can you take a look at the attached? Inside that .zip you'll find XbironFLY021.kml. Open it in GoogleEarth . The red line represents where P3 is. I'm supposing the green line represents where the P3 thinks the remote is. Except for the jog at the very end does this seem right? It's a lat-lon field in your .DAT that I've not seen in any other .DAT. I'll do an exhaustive search here sometime today to see if it exists in others.

Attachments

• Fly021zip.zip
    15.9 KB · Views: 213
I had something similar with follow me mode - luckily I was high enough to catch it.
Switched modes to adjust and take some pictures - sent it to follow me again it seemed to turn towards me and then shot off towards opposite direction...
I was on a ipad air2 with good open signal and v1.5 firmware....
I'm assuming that it's DJI Go app. Can you provide the .DAT for that flight?

Could it be somehow related to the manner in which F mode was exited/reentered ? By clicking exit F mode on the phone or by switching to P mode on the RC ? And on reentering F mode ? Is there a preferred way to do this so as not to fool the app or logistics ? (I'm just grasping at straws here)

Can you take a look at the attached? Inside that .zip you'll find XbironFLY021.kml. Open it in GoogleEarth . The red line represents where P3 is. I'm supposing the green line represents where the P3 thinks the remote is. Except for the jog at the very end does this seem right? It's a lat-lon field in your .DAT that I've not seen in any other .DAT. I'll do an exhaustive search here sometime today to see if it exists in others.
Yes it is totally right. The crazy thing is my remote's position went north then come back south.

Do you think, the remote (phone) position could have been at the false position at north just before follow me mode was engaged. And then, when I started follow me mode, the remote position went south a little. In this case the airplane wanted to keep the same distance between him and the remote, so he went to south too. In the same way that the false remote movement.

Capture d’écran 2015-12-18 à 12.59.17.png

Could it be somehow related to the manner in which F mode was exited/reentered ? By clicking exit F mode on the phone or by switching to P mode on the RC ? And on reentering F mode ? Is there a preferred way to do this so as not to fool the app or logistics ? (I'm just grasping at straws here)
Could be. We need more examples. Do you use DJI Go App? If so, can you provide the .DAT for your flight?

Yes it is totally right. The crazy thing is my remote's position went north then come back south.

Do you think, the remote (phone) position could have been at the false position at north just before follow me mode was engaged. And then, when I started follow me mode, the remote position went south a little. In this case the airplane wanted to keep the same distance between him and the remote, so he went to south too. In the same way that the false remote movement.

View attachment 38040
Seems right. I'll be interested to see if @gegetrane, or @MoOriginal have flights with the same situation.
I didn't dig out the altitude data for the remote's location. I'll try to do that in the next couple of days.
Also, the RC track shown can be sampled at a higher rate. I'll get the higher rate and see if that's more informative.

Thank you. First, for actually retrieving the .DAT and having it in your first post. Quite often, the .DAT is no longer available when I show up. Second, there was a lot learned here that'll make it's way into future releases of DatConverter.

Allright... the .dat files are downloading now, long process... though only 2.5 Gigs. Seems like it begins on Dec 12. My "accident" happened on Dec 8. Does the internal memory auto deletes older files to make place to new ones ? (I guess so). Thus I might not have the data for the "accident". But I do have the video ! Here it is...
I also have the log on the tablet.
Thanks a lot for the professional insight you give to our (mis)adventures !

And yes, I now know not to try fancy moves close to trees or ANY obstacles !

Allright... the .dat files are downloading now, long process... though only 2.5 Gigs. Seems like it begins on Dec 12. My "accident" happened on Dec 8. Does the internal memory auto deletes older files to make place to new ones ? (I guess so). Thus I might not have the data for the "accident". But I do have the video ! Here it is...
I also have the log on the tablet.
Thanks a lot for the professional insight you give to our (mis)adventures !

And yes, I now know not to try fancy moves close to trees or ANY obstacles !
The P3 removes older files to make room for newer ones. For some reason it starts removing old ones when the card is 2.5 gB full. Not when it gets closer to the size of the card which is 4 gB. So it would seem that your accident .DAT is no longer available. Thanks for checking though.

I tested Follow Me today, mine freaked out for a second like the GPS position it was tracking got either interrupted or changed and started to do a drastic maneuveur, then within 50 feet flew back to the point tracked not touching anything. I would say interference is a possible factor for this problem you had or the device sending GPS was the issue as the point tracked had a break in GPS data, not the drone. Also note I am using a motorola X using the barometer sensor for altitude changed and it worked great. Will be trying 4x4 trail for more drastic altitude follow me change next week or snowboarding.

I tested Follow Me today, mine freaked out for a second like the GPS position it was tracking got either interrupted or changed and started to do a drastic maneuveur, then within 50 feet flew back to the point tracked not touching anything. I would say interference is a possible factor for this problem you had or the device sending GPS was the issue as the point tracked had a break in GPS data, not the drone. Also note I am using a motorola X using the barometer sensor for altitude changed and it worked great. Will be trying 4x4 trail for more drastic altitude follow me change next week or snowboarding.
If you're using the DJI Go App for the Follow Me then the tablet location/track can be extracted from the .DAT file.

These are quite old posts. Has anyone had an explanation from dji. I had the same issue today. Follow me mode worked fine first time round for about 5 minutes. When I applied it 2nd time round it flew off in the opposite direction. I managed to hit RTH and it came back after a couple of hundred meters. I did receive an invitation reference warning as I took off but intended on keeping the drone close to me which I managed untill it flew off by itself. Hope my Ncp can help in some way. I notice a couple of people having the issue on the second time they applied FMM

These are quite old posts. Has anyone had an explanation from dji. I had the same issue today. Follow me mode worked fine first time round for about 5 minutes. When I applied it 2nd time round it flew off in the opposite direction. I managed to hit RTH and it came back after a couple of hundred meters. I did receive an invitation reference warning as I took off but intended on keeping the drone close to me which I managed untill it flew off by itself. Hope my Ncp can help in some way. I notice a couple of people having the issue on the second time they applied FMM
Welcome to the forum. As it happens there is a current thread dealing with a FollowMe Mode incident. Go here Flyaway in "Follow me" mode

Ive never have a clear explanation from Dji. I still believe using my iPhone 5 was maybe not the best idea as the minimum requirement is iPhone 5s. Since then I ever never used again the FMM.

Never tried it again either ! Since December ! BUT ... I did get Litchi and Vertical Studio and will try these in follow/track mode since they rely on video, not tablet GPS. They may end up as good as the P4 track mode...or as bad, depends on your opinion ;) Now I'll go to that other thread...

Hi,

The same thing happened to me, twice! Yesterday.

On both cases, I started the flight then activated the Follow me mode, ended the follow me mode, then restarted follow me again. The Phantom just shot in a random direction. Luckily I was able to exit the mode before there was any damage. The first time it flew maybe 300 meter away until I realized I should get out fast. Lucky!

So I guess it only happens on the second time you activate Follow me within a flight.

Today, I tried again, with my fingertip ready at the F-P switch. Every time I reactivated follow-me mode I updated the home location to the current position. But today the follow me mode didn't work. It said low GPS signal and the drone didn't follow me at all.

I am trying to make it work since this weekend I am to shot a biking trip on the beach for my YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/NativeExplorer) and I want to make it work. Would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

I also had a similar incident a few weeks back when using follow me while on a boat. First run worked fine. On second run the AC shot off at an oblique angle as soon as Follow Me was engaged. A high speed boat chase ensued before I remembered to switch back to P mode. Some folks posit that the tablet sent a false location, but I chased the AC for 1km, so the location would have likely updated during the chase. Seems like a bug of some kind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl