advanced or professional

Reaction score
Hello fellas..I am hell confused which one to go for p3 advanced or professional.
Its a $400 difference here in Australia. What is the opinion here?

Hello fellas..I am hell confused which one to go for p3 advanced or professional.

I'll be getting the advanced in a few weeks time.

Do you really need 4k? And do you have the computing power to make a decent fist of editing & rendering 4k footage?

Reactions: keith slagle
Pro gains 4K! I thought of it more this way as I will not be completing any projects in 4k.

This gives me a huge shot that has many options to crop and still maintain 1920X1080. Was only 260$ here price difference so for me to have that and 4k for the future was worth it!

Thanks

If you are a professional photographer, I would say yes-- it gives you a few more presentation options. If you a hobbyist like me, save the 400 dollars. I have the P3, but don't really have the professional knowledge to use it to the fullest extent.

Reactions: Gurmeet
If you have the hardware to play 4k then i say go for it as 4k is truly stunning. I only have a 4k tv so i watch the footage on there after putting it on my hd and then plugging it in the tv, I cannot edit any footage though as my pc cannot even play 4k let alone edit it, next thing for me is to upgrade my pc so that i can watch on there too and edit the footage if i want to.

Reactions: Ari and Gurmeet
There is nothing wrong with the Advanced. It does very fine video.
If you don't know whether you need 4k video, the answer is that you don't.
For most users the Advanced is all they would need but it's so easy to market to people that assume more must be better.
If you aren't into hard-core 4K video, A$400 can go toward batteries.
With the Advanced you get all the good stuff from the Pro .. just not 4K video.
Here's a nice review of the Advanced .. watch the video.
http://blog.jeffcable.com/2015/04/dji-just-announced-phantom-3-after.html

Reactions: spindrift
If you have a103 inch TV and sit only 6ft from the screen, then 4k is the way forward. If you don't, then it's unlikely you'll see any difference other than a slightly faster charging time and gold stickers instead of silver

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/
Great article that hits all the points of the shortfalls of this technology. To say you'll buy a Pro to have this capability when it becomes mainstream is to ignore the fact that the technology in drones is going to move at such a fast pace that the machine you buy today will be antiquated in a year and not only for the camera resolution.

Reactions: cjmwales

Hey mate, Im Aussie too, really the only differences for the $400 is 4k mode and faster charger. Having said that, I ended up going with professional. I figured if I'm gonna drop a bunch of cash on a hobby craft, I may as well get the best one i can afford. Yeah I know Im a salesman's best friend :rolleyes: but I don't regret my decision. Either way it is a lot of money. Keep your eyes peeled for a good deal, P3 with an extra battery and hardshell backpack is a good one. I reckon its best to go with an authorised Aussie reseller. At the end of the day its up to you. Have fun.

IMO 4k may not go the way of 3D and BLURAY both not used much at all but is perhaps a bit overkill. I opted for the Advance and the extra battery which not going for the pro bought me.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I am an hobbyist, I dont want to spend more money on any computer software to edit my 4K and a new 4K TV to see my footage.
The other catch is that the pro version can do 4k video at 30fps, where the full HD can go to 60 fps. Does this difference in fps values makes some sense? Does it means that 60fps shot video is better and smoother than 30fps one??

Last edited:
I went the advanced (from Melb by the way). Very comfortable with my choice.

Had to upgrade my pc for video editing 1080p as it is.

I would like the P3P but the numbers didn't add up.
The higher charger can be bought for $85 and replacement gimble + camera is like $150 difference between A and P.

If I kill the camera or gimble I will probably get the professional as the numbers would stack up, but bang for buck p3a plus two extra batteries is way better value than the p3p.

That is of course unless you need 4k specifically but I'm guessing not.

Reactions: Mako79 and Gurmeet
I went with the Advanced, and used the price savings to fund 2 more batteries.

For me, as a hobbyist, I'll never have a use for 4k video. And I don't usually edit things, so the downsizing and cropping isn't that valuable either.

The higher charger can be bought for $85 and replacement gimble + camera is like $150 difference between A and P.

If I kill the camera or gimble I will probably get the professional as the numbers would stack up, but bang for buck p3a plus two extra batteries is way better value than the p3p.

s
I went with the Advanced, and used the price savings to fund 2 more batteries.

For me, as a hobbyist, I'll never have a use for 4k video. And I don't usually edit things, so the downsizing and cropping isn't that valuable either.

Spot on mate! Thanks.

+1000

I'm a hobbyist and an Advanced owner. 1080p @ 60fps @ 40mbs is sufficient. I was expecting this in the P2VP.

$1950 - $1550 = $400 bucks diff at the purchase point.
Crash the camera then its only $150 diff for the Pro camera+gimbal upgrade. So hypothetically you are $250 better off in crash compared to a P3P owner.

PS.. Due to the replacement price for the camera and gimbal, mathematically, I do think P3P owners were robbed as the DJI Backpack should have been included. The initial response demand was high for the backpack, and hence DJI turned it into a cash grab.

The Pro does everything the Advanced does + 4K video.
The Advanced doesn't have anything that the Pro doesn't.

???
I was comparing the P2VisionPlus with the P3 Advance. I'm well aware of the limitations/attributes in both the Adv and Pro.

If you have the hardware to play 4k then i say go for it as 4k is truly stunning. I only have a 4k tv so i watch the footage on there after putting it on my hd and then plugging it in the tv, I cannot edit any footage though as my pc cannot even play 4k let alone edit it, next thing for me is to upgrade my pc so that i can watch on there too and edit the footage if i want to.
I got a 4k TV too. Got the advanced through BC I don't know if !y laptop could handle it. It doesn't have 4k output so it seemed like a waste... They should've made a 3D phantom so I could watch 3d footage on my other TV!

The only real difference between the Advance and the Professional is the resolution they can grab videos, as you probably already know having read all the posts. P3A is limited to fullhd video, P3P arrives at 4k.
I don't own a 4k tv, so P3P is almost a waste for me.
Additionally, I don't have enough powerful hardware to handle or edit 4k videos.
And if you're into photography (as I am), you don't need video at all.

That said, IF you have the money, go for P3P.
Sooner or later you will buy a 4k tv (as I will probably do), sooner or later your pc will have enough power to handle 4k video streams in real time.
I reamember my first digital camera, it was 3megapixels and looked too much for me. Editing the still pictures used to take ages. Now I think it's a shame I am missing higher resolution of some pictures I took.

And last but not least... you can grab screenshot of your 4k video stream and have a quite decent picture as well. This partially solves the issue (it's an issue for me) that you can't take pictures while you are filming (you have to stop filming, take the picture and start filming again).

Of course the P3P costs more.
I simply couldn't afford it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers