Advance Calibration Issues.

Reaction score
I had noticed a tendency of my P2V+ V3 to hover around quite a bit yesterday. So today, I researched the advanced IMU Calibration. I did this once and it went well.

However, after then changing over to NAZA-M mode, the basic Cali was again greyed out. When I performed the advanced the first time, it became bolded in and when I clicked on it, it showed the Calibration as being good. Now, since changing to NAZA, it was greyed out and I've tried the advanced calibration again. It just hangs up at roughly 90% complete. It does give me the MC overheated notification, but it did the first time as well and when I clicked yes, it continued and finished.

I've had the advance cali running for 45 minutes now and it simply will not complete. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Sit system down and let it cool off or even put a fan on it. After it cools start it up and go directly to the advanced IMU and run it. It will complete then. It will never complete when the IMU is actually warm and not getting a false notice.

Reactions: Mako79
Sit system down and let it cool off or even put a fan on it. After it cools start it up and go directly to the advanced IMU and run it. It will complete then. It will never complete when the IMU is actually warm and not getting a false notice.

That didn't work for me. I put a fan on the drone and tried running advance IMU and it still hung up.

After an extended amount of time trying many different things, this is what worked.

1. Changed setting in Vision from NAZA-M to Phantom.
1.1 Under the Tools tab, I clicked on "Reset BTU".
2. Powered down the drone via the battery.
3. Turned off the TX and WiFi.
4. Shut down the Vision software.
5. Disconnected USB cord from laptop.
6. Restarted laptop. (Not sure if this had any affect or not, just good GP).
7. Removed battery from the drone.
8. Waited about five minutes.
8.1 Never got the overheated MC message again. I assume this is from the battery being removed for that five minute period as well as the fan on the drone itself. Hey, the fan felt good to me as well!
9. Reinstalled battery in the drone.
10. Turned on the TX and WiFi module.
11. Turned on the drone via the battery.
12. Plugged the USB cord into my laptop.
13. Started the Vision program.
14.I was immediately notified that an "Advanced Calibration" was required.
15. The drone had not yet acquired a GPS lock. So I waited until it did so. Not sure if that is a required step or not. Just relaying information.
16. I then set it back to NAZA-M.
17. I then went to Tools again and then the Advanced tab below. I then clicked on Advanced Cali. The process took less than two minutes to complete.
18. I turned off the drone, then the TX and WiFi module.
19. I then took the drone outside with props installed and did the DJI Dance for a normal calibration.

Drone now hovers like a BEAST! At 12', with a 15mph crosswind, it remained more stable than I have seen thus far. Within 2' radius and 1' altitude. S2 worked perfectly when placed in ATTI and Failsafe with the drone performing as expected in ATTI (drifting with inertia) and in failsafe, returned to my hover altitude and stayed there with near perfect stability. MUCH more so than it had in the last four flights.

No where in the multitude of videos and instructions have I seen or read anything that mentioned doing an advanced Calibration after shipment of the drone to my home. This procedure is not mentioned in the manual as an initial setup step after unpacking and I believe it should be. The boxes in which my drone arrived showed zero signs of mishandling. However, since the drone was hovering hands off in a much wider arc both vertically and horizontally than it does now after performing this advanced calibration, I think it should be required to complete this rather simple step prior to first flight and anytime the drone is dropped in the case, hits the ground hard or is shipped.

No props were ever on the drone while inside. ;)

Last edited:
+1
Don't fly it for an hour and just charge the battery and have a coffee.
Start you phantom assist app and go to the adv calibration page and have ready.
Plug the phantom into PC and power up and do the adv calibration IMMEDIATELY.
The heat warning won't appear. Even if it does, the calibration only takes a minute or so for the green ticks.
And make sure you do it on a surface levelled with the horizon in all axis. This will fix yaw issues.

The IMU calibration is key.
IMU( Inertial Measurement Unit = Accelerometer + gyroscope + compass)
Roll, Pitch and Yaw. Without almost any drift.
The IMU is an electronic sensor device that measures the velocity, orentation and gravational forces of the Quadcopter.
These measurements allow controlling electronics to calculate the required changes in the motor speeds.
It's a combination of 3 axis accelerometer and a 3 axis gyroscope and a 3 axis magnetometer (compass) for better Yaw control.
The accelerometer measures acceleration and also force and measured the downward gravity force. As it has 3 axis it can work out the orentation of the quad.
The gyroscope measures angular velocity, in other words rotational speed around the 3 Axis.
A magnetometer measures the direction and strength of the earths magnetic field. The sensor can then determine which way is north and south. The pole locations are then used as a reference with the Yaw angular velocity around the gyroscope to calculate a stable Yaw angle.
So in summary without these sensors being set and the compass calibrated... Be ready for a fly a way or a hard crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic