Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got my Phantom 4 roughly a month ago, and up until tuesday, it was a well behaved little drone, but now, it looks like it might need some Ritilan or something, as it cant sit still :(

Attached a a link of a video of it hovering in NO wind ( all thats happened since Tuesday is a cold front came though, and its a bit colder but i doubt that has anything to do with it) .

I havent bashed it, smacked it, or run it into a wall ( yet) but flying it has become a game of russian roulette, you never know, it could see a butter fly and go....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi Guys,

I got my Phantom 4 roughly a month ago, and up until tuesday, it was a well behaved little drone, but now, it looks like it might need some Ritilan or something, as it cant sit still :(

Attached a a link of a video of it hovering in NO wind ( all thats happened since Tuesday is a cold front came though, and its a bit colder but i doubt that has anything to do with it) .

I havent bashed it, smacked it, or run it into a wall ( yet) but flying it has become a game of russian roulette, you never know, it could see a butter fly and go....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Considering it quite breezy it doin preety good,if it new might need calibration to get its berrings but dont,look to bad ,my trick to test gps lock is to hover drone and try to push and check how repsonds ,should hold firm

Considering it quite breezy it doin preety good,if it new might need calibration to get its berrings but dont,look to bad ,my trick to test gps lock is to hover drone and try to push and check how repsonds ,should hold firm

Thanks for the feedback,

There was no wind / breeze, it wanted to go look at the flowers

Which calibration are you referring to? There’s a few ,

Thing is, it was stable, it used to behave, then suddenly this

Thanks for the feedback,

There was no wind / breeze, it wanted to go look at the flowers

Which calibration are you referring to? There’s a few ,

Thing is, it was stable, it used to behave, then suddenly this
Sorry for wait,,,,trees moving theres a breeze,bein careful here on what i post about compass,,like you say if it need ritilen i would consider imu and a compass calibration should help make it bit more stable,normaly theres a bit of counteraction from the drone to compensate the wind or breezze when it trying to stay gps locked,can see the drone working to do this if brezze not strong sensors might have gone bit off for some reason

Calibrating won't improve a thing. Dont bother.
??? Dont want to be rude but why u always question calibrations,can you explain to me why they no good,not being cheeky or nothing bit just need to know why calibrations wont work,for my own and for others,i know about magnectic forces and stuff thats why we have a compass,,what page did i miss

??? Dont want to be rude but why u always question calibrations,can you explain to me why they no good,not being cheeky or nothing bit just need to know why calibrations wont work,for my own and for others,i know about magnectic forces and stuff thats why we have a compass,,what page did i miss
Because i understand what a compass does and doesnt do. If your drone is slowly spiraling instead of holding position calibrating might be useful. Apart from that it won't help at all.
The issue might just be the VPS having difficulty locking on to the texture in the grass in the shade.

I tried the vps thing, ( and I suspect that’s where it went pear shaped)

Don’t fiddle with that which isn’t broken

Each time I try, i hold it “normally” and more it around as shown, then in its side , and as shown,

Then, it says calculating, gets to 100%, and then asks me to restart the drone.

I switch it off, and switch it on, and then the app says 3/3 framing error

Now not sure if if this is just poor programming and the sw thinking it’s starting the whole process again, or it genuinely didn’t complete the process?

Because i understand what a compass does and doesnt do. If your drone is slowly spiraling instead of holding position calibrating might be useful. Apart from that it won't help at all.
The issue might just be the VPS having difficulty locking on to the texture in the grass in the shade.
just sent nother post ,was bit heavy,,thanks 4 reply,,seems everytime i post about compas calibrations you pop up , i would not post about it it i not think it would help,seems different result across the board,,i know thr toilet bowl effect but if mine not sit where i put it i calibrate

Not sure if you have recently updated to the latest FW, but in my case, my drone hovered much worse than yours at about 15-20 mtrs. I had to do the new 6 step IMU calibration to firstly reduce the warm up time from 2 mins to 20 secs and to get 'Dorothy' to hover as before the upgrade. Finally to get around the erroneous warnings such as IMU error, wind warnings and the latest 'your RTH will fly through a NFZ', I switched to flying with Litchi and zero warnings.. Works for me.

When I got it, it done some updates ,

When I power on, it says on the top
Of the screen, Inus error, please calibrate, but leaving it for about 40 seconds, that goes away

Not sure if you have recently updated to the latest FW, but in my case, my drone hovered much worse than yours at about 15-20 mtrs. I had to do the new 6 step IMU calibration to firstly reduce the warm up time from 2 mins to 20 secs and to get 'Dorothy' to hover as before the upgrade. Finally to get around the erroneous warnings such as IMU error, wind warnings and the latest 'your RTH will fly through a NFZ', I switched to flying with Litchi and zero warnings.. Works for me.
Omg 20sec that real good,i follow a post and stuck mine in frigde to change temp for imu calibration and it still take ages ,(oh i gota watch that word) if you been reading

When I got it, it done some updates ,

When I power on, it says on the top
Of the screen, Inus error, please calibrate, but leaving it for about 40 seconds, that goes away
Ignore that message as it replaces the former IMU warming up message. Same same and as you say, goes away once the IMU is warmed up and you already to fly. I have never bothered with compass updates unless prompted (and even then be suspicious of where you taking off from). If it is behaving like that, and yours is no where as severe as mine was, at say 20 mtrs, look at an IMU calibration.

Thanks for
The input all, will give the IMu calibration a go later, it’s freezing , and time for afternoon nap in the sun

Omg 20sec that real good,i follow a post and stuck mine in frigde to change temp for imu calibration and it still take ages ,(oh i gota watch that word) if you been reading
No I haven't seen that post, but given that it's averaging 12C max at the moment, the last IMU cal was when its was averaging 35C, I did one after the last FW upgrade and we are good to go before I have finished checking my settings.
By the way, I haven't been able to do the rake trick with the OA due to incessant rain and wind. Getting a bit of cabin fever at the moment.

No I haven't seen that post, but given that it's averaging 12C max at the moment, the last IMU cal was when its was averaging 35C, I did one after the last FW upgrade and we are good to go before I have finished checking my settings.
By the way, I haven't been able to do the rake trick with the OA due to incessant rain and wind. Getting a bit of cabin fever at the moment.
Same had quick flight weather went terrible before rake came to mind,rain ,lots of rain everwhere bloody stuff,i did post before to meta 4 ,aways question my compass posting ,i was not happy and posted it but had the sense i think to delete it,he probly aready read being on the computer but hey,im green just try to help others ,they should just have more input,algood nother day tommorrow if i not banned,i think if the weather comes good we all be happy,ps,good uck with the game,i got not much faith in our side

Same had quick flight weather went terrible before rake came to mind,rain ,lots of rain everwhere bloody stuff,i did post before to meta 4 ,aways question my compass posting ,i was not happy and posted it but had the sense i think to delete it,he probly aready read being on the computer but hey,im green just try to help others ,they should just have more input,algood nother day tommorrow if i not banned,i think if the weather comes good we all be happy,ps,good uck with the game,i got not much faith in our side
I wouldn't be too bothered by asking questions of some of the folk on here like Meta4, as they have a world of knowledge and experience that I certainly don't have. His comments regarding compass calibration are spot on and I'm not sure how he keeps up with the same responses time and time again. Your posts are always respectful and often entertaining, no chance of being banned, I belong to a superbike forum and some of the posts are outrageous/illegal and no one cops a hiding.
By the way, after seeing your improv camera sunshade, I was going to make one out of a beer can and send it to you. Maybe tomorrow if the crap weather keeps up.

Ok, done the imu thing, and instead of the error which eventually goes away, I now get “IMU warming up”

It seems a bit better [emoji1303][emoji1303] thanks guys

Last question, different topic the “legs” have these hairline cracks in, everywhere, while this isn’t normal, what causes it? I land on soft grass almost always

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen