A friendly reminder about non OEM props.

Reaction score
Was flying and after a particularly windy flight, I brought my P4S in for a landing and I heard a grinding noise. Turns out it was a prop striking the body. Upon closer inspection 3/4 of my props had a 6mm vertical wobble, and the undersides were covered in fine plastic dust. I had actually forgotten I got those props on amazon, and they even had the same dji part number on them, but they were missing the dji logo (see below),
IMG_1548571784.715164.jpg
and crucially, they were made out of a more brittle plastic that is quite susceptible to wear. The props didn’t even have 6 hours on them, but had I not found the problem sooner, they may have led to a prop coming loose in flight.

Just a reminder to shy away from non OEM props, as some clearly aren’t tested/up to the standards of dji in terms of safety and reliability.

Reactions: Herbied143
Fox, you were lucky at the least! Glad you figured out the problem. I tried some carbon fiber props and found half of the eight to be out of balance. I'll stick to the official DJI props for sure.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

(P3) I bought some props from Amazon and noticed they were "Different"... Won't use them unless the world grinds to a halt. Noticeably more flexible too. Would have a smoother flight, but would it be the last one?... Only but them from DJI.

I bought my P3 4k used, and the guy included 3 sets of propellers. Thanks to this forum, I found out that 2 of the 3 were actually for the P2 (metal hub). Happy to replace them with the composite hub so I don't have to worry about a preventable crash.

Buyers be knowledgeable, but I do use DJI as well as other low noise props on my P4P and all is fine. Close inspection shows the unbranded packaged props to be identical to the original. Even the little directional arrows are the same. I think they came from the same molds. I do check for fit and retention, as well.

Your drone is an investment. Please get DJI propellers for it or the Carbon fiber series. I changed to the Carbon fiber and they are nice.

The ones without the DJI marking actually look nicer. It’s hard to tell though, you have really increased the level of complexity in making a comparison with those images. Any chance you could get an in focus image of the back of the hubs and the actual rubbing damage?

IMG_1548652002.391516.jpg
here is a pic as best as my phone would allow. You can see the white dust along the housing sides.

From what can be made out that hub looks pretty normal.

What interesting is the ones without the DJI logo actually look nicer as far as the mould finish goes.

Maybe you didn’t have them installed properly?

The plastic quality is cheaper. There is fine dust all over the prop and prop mounts (so bad the black dots turned white, but I’ve since removed that dust). The props make a loud plastic clicking sound when tapped on a table, while dji props are made of a stronger more reinforced plastic that doesn’t make as loud a sound when bumped.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl