A Black P3P would look cool...

Reaction score
My P3P body has developed a couple of stress cracks on 2 of the arms, right by the motors; and I’d like replace it with a new body/shell...a black one.
Anyone with suggestions on where I might find one, or maybe tips on spray painting it?

My P3P body has developed a couple of stress cracks on 2 of the arms, right by the motors; and I’d like replace it with a new body/shell...a black one.
Anyone with suggestions on where I might find one, or maybe tips on spray painting it?

I was gonna do mine with this. Its scratch resistant.. fade resistant.. and chip resistant. uv etc.. ive used it on many a car parts. Bumpers.. grilles.. wheels.. spoilers.. you get the point. It dries super quick. Only tip. Try not to spray too much at one time. Amd make sure you dont like keep spraying the same spot. It will develop like a powdery over spray that youll gave to wash off if you stay in one spot or dust a spot that's already been painted and is starting to dry. Just do light coats I would say 2 or 3 should be great. Just do them light and fast. It covers good. Dries even amd smooth and is a big can for 5 bucks. Walmart carries it. Hope this helps. Thats the cheap route. Goodluck

Reactions: RodPad
I checked the specs, and even though it says not for use on plastic, as long as I coat it lightly, it should be fine?
I like how it’s rated for UV and fade resistance.

Reactions: RodPad
I checked the specs, and even though it says not for use on plastic, as long as I coat it lightly, it should be fine?
I like how it’s rated for UV and fade resistance.
Ive never seen the warning for plastic use. Thats wild.. i dont know if it would create a problem maybe by weakening the plastic. But maybe you can test it on the old shell after you disassemble it.. or could try using a safe primer first maybe. I guess for the most part ive only used it on metal and painted plastics like a primed bumper or scuffed up painted one does awesome. Anyway just some ideas. Just take your time and be careful I suppose. And also I bought my replacement shell for my p3p on walmarts online shopping. It was like 10 or 12 buck i think super cheap no more than 20. I never put it on but sold it with the drone.

Just a thought?

If the paint has some kind of metal properties?

Would that effect the Phantom navigation?

I think it would only be a problem if it was magnetic?

So far, all I did was add questions. :);)

Anyways, post some pictures, I might want to do something my self, its always fun time sniffing?

Rod

Be very careful putting ANYTHING over the centre of the top cover. The GPS module is immediately under and attached to the shell there and anything just might affect its performance!

Reactions: PhoenixOne
Ok this my obsidian p3s lol
Posted this while back but still looks the same..have had this drone 2016 but had no crashs to date,,just lightly sand body with some dry paper,I used 320 grit,,not wet and dry or surface to smooth and paint wont stick well,,,I do regret using gloss black cause fingerprints but it easy to clean and not scratched,gave it dust coat and let dry then 2 nice wet coats and let it dry,,I took gimble of cause saved masking it up and better finish.. no issues with GPS or compass..certainly helps with visibility
Screenshot_20190928-204233_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
Ok this my obsidian p3s lol
Posted this while back but still looks the same..have had this drone 2016 but had no crashs to date,,just lightly sand body with some dry paper,I used 320 grit,,not wet and dry or surface to smooth and paint wont stick well,,,I do regret using gloss black cause fingerprints but it easy to clean and not scratched,gave it dust coat and let dry then 2 nice wet coats and let it dry,,I took gimble of cause saved masking it up and better finish.. no issues with GPS or compass..certainly helps with visibility View attachment 114772
WOW. A rattle can Picasso. Nice work. Rustoleum is the way to go. I use it on my motorcycle fairing and no problems.

Be very careful putting ANYTHING over the centre of the top cover. The GPS module is immediately under and attached to the shell there and anything just might affect its performance!
Yes I would recommend taking the whole thing apart and only spraying the shell and the landing gear with no components on it whatsoever.anyway this is a little off topic but pertains to your comment about the GPS module if a drone had a crash and landed on the top of its shell where the GPS module is located but there was no visible damage to the module but the shell was cracked...could it still be messed up enough causing the drone to not want to fly My wire did get a little bent and I'm not sure if it lined backup properly but the 10 pin cable could be replaced and that could be the issue. But its an old aee ap9 and it just beeps when I start it up after the crash the only other option is a bad battery maybe.. i guss ill have to order a gps module

The GPS "module" is just a circuit board attached to the top shell by four screws. If the shell was cracked across its location it is very possible that the circuit board also got damaged. Open it up (not difficult) and have a look with a magnifying glass, see if you cane see any cracks. You're going to have to open it up to change the module any way so have a close look!!
dji-phantom-3-gps-module-p241-305_image.jpg

The GPS "module" is just a circuit board attached to the top shell by four screws. If the shell was cracked across its location it is very possible that the circuit board also got damaged. Open it up (not difficult) and have a look with a magnifying glass, see if you cane see any cracks. You're going to have to open it up to change the module any way so have a close look!!View attachment 114777
she is already torn apart.. lol I don't see anything visibly wrong but I did not inspect it with a magnifying glass.so I will try that but like I said I think the ribbon the connector, the pins got a little bent and if I replaced that it might work it definitely got banged up a little bit

Hydro dip the new shell and spray with a clear coat. Will last a long time and take the wear and tear. Also look at the full body wraps as a option
IMG_1225.jpg
IMG_1227.jpg

Reactions: GClef
Iclearshield has a good selection of the wraps and it’s a little added protection to the shell.

They work well. Don’t notice a big difference in performance. That look good. Had to balance them first off. They sound different which is a plus. I use DJI carbon fiber most flights.

Reactions: 3rdof5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.