4K TV Streaming

Reaction score
OK, I have a 4K TV and a couple 4K PC's but getting 4K content on my TV is a problem. At present I do not have a provider with 4K content and my 8 year old AVR isn't quite up to the bitrate needed to pass 4K video so whatever I do needs to go more or less directly to the TV. So, I have the older Chromecast that goes through my AVR but I see there's also the newer Chromecast Ultra that does play 4K but in my setup I'd need to connect that directly to the TV. My question is, can the newer Chromecast Ultra mirror from a PC directly? I think it safe to safe it should handle 4K YouTube casting but it would be nice to be able to mirror from my two 4K PC's.

How else are folks displaying 4K on there 4K TV's?

Brian

Which tv do you have? Most 4k tvs will be able to play directly from usb which will most likely work best. Formats and bitrates supported ofcourse differs (I use medium bitrate h264 on my Samsung).

Reactions: Briankbl
Hi I've got a good quality android box that plays 4k straight onto my Samsung 4k TV. I just plug my sd card into it and open the 4k player, that's the easy way for me. I also have a NAS drive in house and store my 4k video files on this. This is the set up on my home network and I again use the android box to play this on my TV. Although my TV is 4k it's a 2015 model Samsung and won't play the files direct from sd card. The 2016 model of exactly the same TV will play them and I've spoken to Samsung and they confirmed it. So I use by Android box which was a dam lot cheaper than the TV... I don't thing the chrome cast will cut it. Put a bit more money to it and get a good quality android box they are far better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi I've got a good quality android box that plays 4k straight onto my Samsung 4k TV. I just plug my sd card into it and open the 4k player,

Put a bit more money to it and get a good quality android box they are far better.

What brand and model Android box do you have?

My 4K tvs have USB ports. I can watch the raw footage right from the sd card. Does your tv have USB?

Hi sorry I use the minix neo x8 plus Android box. You can pick these up in the for around £80 I know they have brought out a newer one. But if it and broke why upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

My 4K tvs have USB ports. I can watch the raw footage right from the sd card. Does your tv have USB?

I just tried and have verified that my Sony Bravia UHD TV does in fact play my 4K video files. So far I've confirmed that FAT32 files play and I'm in the process of formatting a USB drive in ExFAT to see if I can play larger files than the 4GB limit with FAT32.

Brian

I just tried and have verified that my Sony Bravia UHD TV does in fact play my 4K video files. So far I've confirmed that FAT32 files play and I'm in the process of formatting a USB drive in ExFAT to see if I can play larger files than the 4GB limit with FAT32.

Brian
My TVs don't like exfat. I have a Samsung 8000 series and an LG oled 4K.

Well, FINALLY, after nearly 2 hours the format was complete and I transferred a 7.8GB 4K video file to it, taking another 30 minutes, and that also plays OK on my Sony TV.

One step further I tried a Samsung USB SSD drive that can transfer at about 500MB/sec and is configured with NTFS file system and that also plays just fine so this looks like the hot setup.

Brian

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Well, FINALLY, after nearly 2 hours the format was complete and I transferred a 7.8GB 4K video file to it, taking another 30 minutes, and that also plays OK on my Sony TV.

One step further I tried a Samsung USB SSD drive that can transfer at about 500MB/sec and is configured with NTFS file system and that also plays just fine so this looks like the hot setup.

Brian
Glad to hear it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers