4 Pro + won't load map until later

Reaction score
I was flying my 4 Pro + at street level in downtown Los Angeles. It showed 11 satellites, told me it had a home point, but wouldn't show a map. Just the arrow on a blank screen. I successuflly flew the mission and shut down. When I turned it back on at home out of town, the downtown map was there. What's up with that?

You need a connection with the internet when flying. Try using your phone as an internet access point when flying so your app can download the map.

I am on the cusp of a purchase of the Phantom Four Pro, so that I can expand my interest in amateur photography, hence the interest in the Phantom Four Pro as opposed to some of the other drones. I am underscoring the interest in photography, because while I understand I have to learn to fly a drone, flying is not the main priority for me.

I am considering getting the four + (plus) primarily because I have never been too impressed with the way my Apple phone and iPad function in strong light, although I am not sure the four + functions any better. I understand that with the plus one cannot use third party apps. I am not sure what third party apps I might want to use.

I am also mulling over the possibility of getting either the DJI googles or the Epson 300 glasses.

I hope my confusion is evident. Anyone have ideas to help me clear the fog?

I am on the cusp of a purchase of the Phantom Four Pro, so that I can expand my interest in amateur photography, hence the interest in the Phantom Four Pro as opposed to some of the other drones. I am underscoring the interest in photography, because while I understand I have to learn to fly a drone, flying is not the main priority for me.

I am considering getting the four + (plus) primarily because I have never been too impressed with the way my Apple phone and iPad function in strong light, although I am not sure the four + functions any better. I understand that with the plus one cannot use third party apps. I am not sure what third party apps I might want to use.

I am also mulling over the possibility of getting either the DJI googles or the Epson 300 glasses.

I hope my confusion is evident. Anyone have ideas to help me clear the fog?
A lot of people like the + for the bright screen. However, the screen is small and the overlays in the app will cover up much of the screen. The + is $300 more for a 5.5" screen, and you have no way to upgrade or change the display, it's fixed.

If you want the 1000nit bright display, it's a much better value IMO to get the P4P without display and buy the CrystalSky 7.8" that's 1000nit. It will cost you $300 + $79 (pedestal) more than the +. The beauty of that setup is you have options. If for instance you want 3rd party apps later, you can swap out the screen for an iPad or iPhone for those times time you need a 3rd party app. The Crystalsky device also works as a portable video player and will playback 1080 or 4K video out the HDMI port, straight from the SD card from the drone, which is uniquely convenient, especially if you have a 4K TV.

Using the + controller you won't be able to:
1. Capture your screen and quickly email it to someone, because there is no email app in the device.
2. Use Litchi autonomous flight software to fly programmed missions, plotted from your desktop. Litchi can complete missions even when control signal is lost, which is unique.
3. Easily check weather, NFZs, NOTAMs in the flight area, because you don't have an internet browser in the + device. You have to use your phone or iPad for that (not a big deal)
4. Upgrade or change the display. If you don't like the small 5.5" screen, you have no options, unlike the P4P.
5. Record the pilots voice on the device during flight (not a big deal IMO, I've never wanted to do that anyway). iPad will record pilot's voice in the GO4 app.

With the CrystalSky display pedestal, many folks don 't realize DJI offers an optional device clip for those times you'd like to use an iPad. This optional clip is $29, which clips into the standard CrystalSky pedestal.

upload_2017-11-23_9-57-32.png

upload_2017-11-23_9-59-15.png

To use CrystalSky monitor you'll also need the pedestal mount to replace the standard clip pedestal, it costs $79.

upload_2017-11-23_10-1-3.png

However, the + controller is compact and clean setup. You don't have to charge the display device because it uses the RC battery. I'm told it will boot faster and you don't have to launch the app, since it auto launches upon power up of the RC. It has it's conveniences, but you need to be aware of the limitations. Some owners that buy the + controller opt to by a second standard controller for $319 with the clip for any device.

Last edited:
A lot of people like the + for the bright screen. However, the screen is small and the overlays in the app will cover up much of the screen. The + is $300 more for a 5.5" screen, and you have no way to upgrade or change the display, it's fixed.

If you want the 1000nit bright display, it's a much better value IMO to get the P4P without display and buy the CrystalSky 7.8" that's 1000nit. It will cost you $300 + $79 (pedestal) more than the +. The beauty of that setup is you have options. If for instance you want 3rd party apps later, you can swap out the screen for an iPad or iPhone for those times time you need a 3rd party app. The Crystalsky device also works as a portable video player and will playback 1080 or 4K video out the HDMI port, straight from the SD card from the drone, which is uniquely convenient, especially if you have a 4K TV.

1. Capture your screen and quickly email it to someone, because there is not email app in the device.
2. Use Litchi autonomous flight software to fly programmed missions, plotted from your desktop. Litchi can complete missions even when control signal is lost, which is unique.
3. Easily check weather, NFZs, NOTAMs in the flight area, because you don't have an internet browser in the + device. You have to use your phone or iPad for that (not a big deal)
4. Upgrade or change the display. If you don't like the small 5.5" screen, you have no options, unlike the P4P.
5. Record the pilots voice on the device during flight (not a big deal IMO, I've never wanted to do that anyway). iPad will record pilot's voice in the GO4 app.

With the CrystalSky display pedestal, many folks don 't realize DJI offers an optional device clip for those times you'd like to use an iPad. This optional clip is $29, which clips into the standard CrystalSky pedestal.

View attachment 91174

View attachment 91175
To use CrystalSky monitor you'll also need the pedestal mount to replace the standard clip pedestal, it costs $79.

View attachment 91176

However, the + controller is compact and clean setup. You don't have to charge the display device because it uses the RC battery. I'm told it will boot faster and you don't have to launch the app, since it auto launches upon power up of the RC. It has it's conveniences, but you need to be aware of the limitations. Some people who buy the + controller opt to by a second controller for $319
Thanks John - I will check out the CrystalSky. Stay tuned. Regards

I am using my iPhone 6 Plus but after reading this I might check into the Crystal Sky option for the brightness. Does the Crystal Sky run the DJI GO 4 App (Andriod Version)?

1. Capture your screen and quickly email it to someone, because there is no email app in the device.

View attachment 91174

View attachment 91175

View attachment 91176

However, the + controller is compact and clean setup. You don't have to charge the display device because it uses the RC battery. I'm told it will boot faster and you don't have to launch the app, since it auto launches upon power up of the RC. It has it's conveniences, but you need to be aware of the limitations. Some owners that buy the + controller opt to by a second standard controller for $319 with the clip for any device.

Hi John - me again - So I bought the P4P and have been learning to fly and shoot stills and video. I have been zeroing in on the Crystal Sky Ultra. I have seen a couple places where people say one can view 4K video with this device. If I shoot any of these formats, can I pull the chip out of the drone, put it in the Crystal Sky Ultra and view the footage: 4K C4K:4096×2160 24/25/30/48/50/60p @100Mbps?

Hi John - me again - So I bought the P4P and have been learning to fly and shoot stills and video. I have been zeroing in on the Crystal Sky Ultra. I have seen a couple places where people say one can view 4K video with this device. If I shoot any of these formats, can I pull the chip out of the drone, put it in the Crystal Sky Ultra and view the footage: 4K C4K:4096×2160 24/25/30/48/50/60p @100Mbps?
Since I haven't seen one of these demonstrated, all I can tell you is others in this forum said the SD card slot in the CS will play the SD cards from the craft with 4K video. That video is sent to 4K TV's or monitors via the HDMI output from the CS HDMI port. The screen of the Ultra is not 4K, and it's only 8", but they say the 4K video will play on the SC screen too, but I'm unsure if it does that at the same time as the 4K output to a TV, I presume it will. If this is all true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then CS will be a very handy way to play raw video from the craft, quickly, and easily with CS, which is self powered and easily detachable from the RC for portability.

Before you buy a CS, go to the CrystalSky section of this forum and read up. I haven't been keeping up, busy doing other stuff, but I will catch up in this section before I buy one. I've just learned the DJI store in Costa Mesa has them in stock now, so I might drive down today to see it as step one. I want to see just how bright 2000nit is, since I've never seen anything with that rating.

Since I haven't seen one of these demonstrated, all I can tell you is others in this forum said the SD card slot in the CS will play the SD cards from the craft with 4K video. That video is sent to 4K TV's or monitors via the HDMI output from the CS HDMI port. The screen of the Ultra is not 4K, and it's only 8", but they say the 4K video will play on the SC screen too, but I'm unsure if it does that at the same time as the 4K output to a TV, I presume it will. If this is all true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then CS will be a very handy way to play raw video from the craft, quickly, and easily with CS, which is self powered and easily detachable from the RC for portability.

Before you buy a CS, go to the CrystalSky section of this forum and read up. I haven't been keeping up, busy doing other stuff, but I will catch up in this section before I buy one. I've just learned the DJI store in Costa Mesa has them in stock now, so I might drive down today to see it as step one. I want to see just how bright 2000nit is, since I've never seen anything with that rating.

Thanks John Wilco

4K C4K:4096×2160 24/25/30/48/50/60p @100Mbps?
FYI, you will likely see glitches in your video if you record 4096X2160 @ 60FPS. I'm told they still exist but less frequent @ 30FPS. These glitches go away if you record 3840X2160 @ 30 or 60FPS, which is the standard resolution of an NTSC 4K TV. I presume the DJI design has a bug that causes these glitches and they can't fix it, as they have removed the mention of 4096X2160 @ 60FPS in their spec, even though the selection still exists in Go4.

FYI, you will likely see glitches in your video if you record 4096X2160 @ 60FPS. I'm told they still exist but less frequent @ 30FPS. These glitches go away if you record 3840X2160 @ 30 or 60FPS, which is the standard resolution of an NTSC 4K TV. I presume the DJI design has a bug that causes these glitches and they can't fix it, as they have removed the mention of 4096X2160 @ 60FPS in their spec, even though the selection still exists in Go4.

I have been recording 4K 24p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl