Update Prceise Fly Safe Database Silliness Phantom 4 Pro+

Reaction score
UPDATE: By creating a mobile hotspot with my phone and connecting via the Remote Controller WiFi to that hotspot (instead of my home wireless network), it seems like it might have fixed an issue (or two). Possibly my wireless router's built-in firewall was causing problems???

Hi all:

I have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus that I bought used locally. The owner says he hadn't flown in about three years.

If I turn on the RC with WiFi functionality turned OFF and then connect to the aircraft, I get the message to update the Precise Fly Safe Database.

If I press update now, it gives me an error that it can't download the update and to turn on WiFi.

But if I disconnect the bird, and then turn WiFi ON, then I don't get the message to update the Precise Fly Safe Database

(I am trying this at home where I have a WiFi signal).

So if I go out in the field to fly, am I going to have problems???

The aircraft precise fly safe database is listed as 1.00.01.23 and if I click the Check for Updates, it says that is the current latest version. Can anyone with a P4Pro double check?

the Precise Fly Safe Database for the app is listed as 1.00.01.09 and again, if I check for updates it says it is the current version

The app is listed as 4.2.6

The P4Pro aircraft firmware is listed as 1.05.0600 and again, it says Latest Firmware after checking for updates.

BTW: I did update the RC firmware by downloading off the DJI site and then putting the bin file on the SD card, and I did update the firmware for the Aircraft by using the DJI Assistant 2 for P4P.

Last edited:
You're not gonna have any issues just keep hitting ignore. No sense in updating the database adding more restrictive places you can't fly lol. Hit ignore you'll be fine.

Reactions: JeffreyS
You're not gonna have any issues just keep hitting ignore. No sense in updating the database adding more restrictive places you can't fly lol. Hit ignore you'll be fine.
SMH, Keeping your drone updated (FlySafe) is not only about restricting the areas you can fly in, it also help in alerting you of airspace changes (Controlled & Uncontrolled) many fly aways occur because of not having updated information (FlySafe). People fail to realize that when you fly into a controlled/restrictive area you only have a limited amount of time to get the aircraft back into uncontrolled airspace. The results of flying into restricted/controlled areas can be forced landings (via DJI), it is wise to make sure all of your data is up to speed to keep you informed of changes in the airspace.

Reactions: Just Mark
SMH, Keeping your drone updated (FlySafe) is not only about restricting the areas you can fly in, it also help in alerting you of airspace changes (Controlled & Uncontrolled) many fly aways occur because of not having updated information (FlySafe). People fail to realize that when you fly into a controlled/restrictive area you only have a limited amount of time to get the aircraft back into uncontrolled airspace. The results of flying into restricted/controlled areas can be forced landings (via DJI), it is wise to make sure all of your data is up to speed to keep you informed of changes in the airspace.

Thanks for the input.

So any idea as to why I am having the issue?

Or is there a way to confirm on the DJI Website that I have the latest fly safe database files? (I didn't see a way to do that on the web site).

Just to summarize my issue again in a shorter version:

Turning WiFi OFF on the controller results in the prompt to update precise fly safe database once the aircraft is turned on and connected (via radio, not via OTG cable) to the controller. However, I can't update the Precise Fly Safe Database since the controller can't download the update (since WiFi is turned off).

Turning ON the WiFi on the controller results in NO prompt to update precise fly safe database.

Haven't tried out in the field yet. I can keep WiFi turned on in the controller but there won't be any WiFi connection.

I have my P4P+ from autumn 2017 and never had any issues. I regularly at each new flight got the message to update and I always push the 'ignore' option. So I've been doing that for years now and as I said - no issues!

Well... I guess my concern is a couple of things:

1) If I am unable to update the precise fly safe database, what else might not be updated?

2) I don't know 100% whether the various databases on my bird and on my controller are up-to-date or not since there doesn't seem to be a list on the DJI website to compare them to (maybe there is and I can't find it).

3) If ever for some reason I have an accident with my drone, I don't want my insurance company that handles my drone liability to say, "We aren't going to cover that because your firmware wasn't up to date and you shouldn't have been flying in the first place."

4) I worry about a LOT of stuff already in general, and having one less thing to worry about would make me a happy boy.

Well... I guess my concern is a couple of things:

1) If I am unable to update the precise fly safe database, what else might not be updated?

2) I don't know 100% whether the various databases on my bird and on my controller are up-to-date or not since there doesn't seem to be a list on the DJI website to compare them to (maybe there is and I can't find it).

3) If ever for some reason I have an accident with my drone, I don't want my insurance company that handles my drone liability to say, "We aren't going to cover that because your firmware wasn't up to date and you shouldn't have been flying in the first place."

4) I worry about a LOT of stuff already in general, and having one less thing to worry about would make me a happy boy.
1. are you using the data adapter cable? and if that doesn't work have you tried using the DJI Phantom asst program

2. Agreed

3. You sound like you are a part 107 pilot and do commercial work, and this is the reason you need to make sure your system is in compliance with DJI systems. Insurance companies will use any and every excuse not to pay up.

4. I agree, there is enough to worry about when flying and knowing that you did not do the right thing is one more thing on the list.

1. are you using the data adapter cable? and if that doesn't work have you tried using the DJI Phantom asst program

2. Agreed

3. You sound like you are a part 107 pilot and do commercial work, and this is the reason you need to make sure your system is in compliance with DJI systems. Insurance companies will use any and every excuse not to pay up.

4. I agree, there is enough to worry about when flying and knowing that you did not do the right thing is one more thing on the list.

Yes, I do have the data adapter cable, but technically I am not even getting that far.

By this I mean that if I hit the update now at the prompt to update the database, it just says that I need to turn on WiFi. But if I turn on WiFi, I then don't get the prompt to update the database.

If I have connected the aircraft to the remote controller (via the radio link, not talking about the cable connection from USB port to USB port), then when I go to the More menu in the Go app and Check for Updates through the app, it says everything is up to date. But I would really like to CONFIRM it is up to date, but I don't see anywhere on the DJI website where they publish the version number of the latest precise fly safe database.

Yes, I am 107 certified and I do have liability insurance through state farm (had to get them to write it in because their general liability insurance excludes aircraft by default... had a hard time convincing the agent that a drone was an aircraft, but that's another story.)

On most days, it is hard enough for me to remember to put pants on before heading out the door, so anything to help clear the mind is always appreciated.

What Recoveryone was suggesting was that you update the Phantom and database through the DJI Assistant program for your computer. Boot the Assistant program, and connect the aircraft with the data cable while powered on and it should offer to update anything that is out of date including the Fly Safe database.

What Recoveryone was suggesting was that you update the Phantom and database through the DJI Assistant program for your computer. Boot the Assistant program, and connect the aircraft with the data cable while powered on and it should offer to update anything that is out of date including the Fly Safe database.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I didn't understand when Recoveryone mentioned it.

But yes, I have already updated the aircraft by hooking up the drone through USB to my Windows 10 PC and running the DJI Assistant 2 for the P4P. Unless I am totally clueless (distinct possibility) I am pretty sure everything on the aircraft is updated through the DJI Assistant 2.

I will try to update through the PC and DJI Assistant 2 again, just in case. Maybe I will re-watch some videos on the app just to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.

Reactions: Recoveryone

Well, I tried this again, and just to be certain, I did the "Refresh Firmware" in the DJI Assistant 2 app.

And I still get the Pop Up message to update the fly safe database.

Another weird thing about this...

As I mentioned, if I have WiFi on the remote controller turned OFF, that is when I get the Pop Up to update database.

And, as mentioned above, with WiFi turned off, I can't download the database, and it tells me to check my network connection.

If I then connect to wifi (while the remote controller and aircraft are connected via usb cable), it will "start" the updating process, but it always stays at "Downloading 0%"

I left it for 20 minutes or so and came back and checked at the downloading progress never made it past 0%

Ok. Looking through your thread I think your DJI Go 4 app needs to be updated. 4.2.6 is very out of date. You will have to download a new APK to a MicroSD Card, Put it in your controller. Then open the Explorer App on your controller and initiate an install.

Once the DJI Go 4 app is updated I think that your problems will go away. I bought a used P4P+ just a couple of weeks ago and had a similar if not the same problem with the database. The controller was stuck on 4.2.6. With the current Go app, I think the database is updating itself on my controller without DJI Assistant.

The key was to install DJI Go through the Explorer app on the MicroSD card. Trying to install through every other way, including downloading from DJI failed.

This thread contains the updated file: Fix for P4P

Ok. Looking through your thread I think your DJI Go 4 app needs to be updated. 4.2.6 is very out of date. You will have to download a new APK to a MicroSD Card, Put it in your controller. Then open the Explorer App on your controller and initiate an install.

Once the DJI Go 4 app is updated I think that your problems will go away. I bought a used P4P+ just a couple of weeks ago and had a similar if not the same problem with the database. The controller was stuck on 4.2.6. With the current Go app, I think the database is updating itself on my controller without DJI Assistant.

The key was to install DJI Go through the Explorer app on the MicroSD card. Trying to install through every other way, including downloading from DJI failed.

This thread contains the updated file: Fix for P4P

Wow!!! Thanks so much for the tip and for the link to that thread. Really appreciate it.

Didn't know that 4.2.6 was so out of date. It is hard to find on the DJI site the version numbers for current versions of firmware.

Thanks again and will work on it tonight.

Ok, another question:

On your P4Pro PLUS Remote Controller, if you go into the System Settings -> Update page, what is the version number that is shown?

Mine says Version V01.04.01.00

Is that the latest version?

On the DJI website there is a .bin file for remote Controller Firmware 01.04.03.00

I have tried updating locally through an SD card, and it says that the system has been updated to 01.04.03 after rebooting.

But then it tries to launch the DJI Go 4 app automatically and I get the error message that DJI Go 4 is not responding, and it asks if I should Wait or Cancel. I hit wait and then it just flashes the DJI black screen forever. Eventually I power off the controller and when I restart, in the System update it says Version V01.04.01.00

Maybe the old version of DJI Go 4 App is not allowing me to update the Android system on the controller???

Mine says 1.2.2.0. I hate to ask but did you update the DJI GO 4 app with the APK found on the other thread and try to install it using the Explorer app that is preinstalled on your controller from the MicroSD card?

That is the only method of many that I tried that actually worked.

@Saladshooter

Mine says 1.2.2.0.

Huh???

How can that even be? The DJI website lists it as only 01.04.03

What screen are you seeing that P4Pro PLUS controller is 1.2.2.0 ? (Maybe I am looking at the wrong place.)

I hate to ask but did you update the DJI GO 4 app with the APK found on the other thread and try to install it using the Explorer app that is preinstalled on your controller from the MicroSD card?

Not yet because I am worried that I might brick my controller, so I just kind of wanted to make sure that the Controller's system software was up-to-date BEFORE updating the DJI Go 4 App.

So I have downloaded the apk and I could update it. but...

I also asked on the official DJI forum about what the latest DJI Go 4 version for the P4P+ controller is, and I got a weird response... that disappeared...

I checked my email and I got this from DJI Thor:

Hi there, please be noted that the last firmware of the Phantom 4pro remote controller is V1.4.1.0 and the last version of DJI GO4 is V 4.3.42. You may check it via our official website: [URL='https://www.dji.com/au/downloads/products/phantom-4-pro.[/url]']https://www.dji.com/au/downloads/products/phantom-4-pro.[/URL] Thank you.

But then when I went to that thread, it looked like he had deleted that response. so then I got worried that maybe he wrote too soon / got confused and deleted the message.

Also, the link he gave doesn't work. That didn't instill confidence either.

So I am still in limbo...

Just once I get confirmationDJI GO4 version 4.3.42 (which is an apk file available for donwload on the official DJI P4P download page), then I will install it via the card and file explorer.

However, I did go out and fly for a job today (only flew for one battery, it was a quick job), and it seemed fine. got the prompt to update the Precise Fly Safe database but I hit ignore and it flew fine.

Mine says 1.2.2.0. I hate to ask but did you update the DJI GO 4 app with the APK found on the other thread and try to install it using the Explorer app that is preinstalled on your controller from the MicroSD card?

That is the only method of many that I tried that actually worked.

Sorry, don't know if you noticed that the above post from me was directed to you, @Saladshooter. Guess I am just feeling technically challenged right now.

I'm pretty sure that I am looking where you asked me to look. If I go to System Settings > Update; the screen I see says 1.2.2.0 then has a blue update button in the middle. When I hit the button it says I am up to date.

It is possible that I have an older version installed, I only worked on updating until everything functioned correctly. In my instance, the map box wasn't working and the Fly Safe data base wouldn't update, it would ask me every time to update it but it would stall before updating. The newer DJI GO 4 app fixed my issues.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan