3d Printing for P3 mods

IMG_0673.JPG

Finished a carrier for my Trackimo - it mounts to one of the sides using the leg screws. Mine isn't attached because I mislaid my mini-torx set. It'll resurface right after I buy a new set.

You can download the file here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:965184/#files

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    930.1 KB · Views: 599
Can 3D printers enlarge an existing part? I have something made, but I need it larger, part is too small. Can they accomplish that? Thanks!

J Dot
By the way. If you have a cad drawing over your old parts, most design programs absolutely can resize them. I've been using Tinkercad, and once you group all your elements you can grab a handle and enlarge them. It's a simple program, but it works.

Printers cannot enlarge models. You can do it with a good slicer -- like Simplify3D.

This one can... I do it all the time on the touchscreen MatterControl that comes with the unit...
http://www.amazon.com/LulzBot-Print...8&qid=1439957513&sr=1-2&keywords=Lulzbot+mini

Love this printer... hot enough to do polycarbonate... auto tip clean and bed leveling on each print run... touchscreen is actually an RCA android tablet that will do a bunch of other crap too... go to thingiverse... open a design in customizer... create... download... resize by adjusting ratio or tweak each axis individually... then fire off a print... all from the touchscreen.

My mom didn't buy me toys when I was a kid... :oops:

Reactions: J Dot
This one can... I do it all the time on the touchscreen MatterControl that comes with the unit...
http://www.amazon.com/LulzBot-Print...8&qid=1439957513&sr=1-2&keywords=Lulzbot+mini

Love this printer... hot enough to do polycarbonate... auto tip clean and bed leveling on each print run... touchscreen is actually an RCA android tablet that will do a bunch of other crap too... go to thingiverse... open a design in customizer... create... download... resize by adjusting ratio or tweak each axis individually... then fire off a print... all from the touchscreen.

My mom didn't buy me toys when I was a kid... :oops:
Mine bought me toys. so that is why I will let you guys print what I need and I will pay for it with Paypal.:D:D Must be fun and challenging though

Mine bought me toys. so that is why I will let you guys print what I need and I will pay for it with Paypal.:D:D Must be fun and challenging though
If you are into tinkering 3d printing is really fun. I got a Solidoodle press on preorder for $400.
The learning curve is quite steep and frustrating but once I got the settings right and understood the lingo it just rocks!
I also use simplify3d which is really nice.
When I need a part I first look in www.thingiverse.com
If nothing available I design it using the free DesignSpark Mechanical. A great little 3d program very easy to use.
The only downside is the time it takes to print.
The blade holder box took over 10 hours to print. And from time to time a print just goes crazy and you can print all over again.
I wouldn't especially recommend this printer but it can do most things that a > USD 1k printer can.
Before buying a a printer check whether there is a good forum for it :) Because you'll need it when things don't work.
A 3dprinter if you are into RC really complement each other. I can only recommend.
Some parts I made
P1100153.JPG

Reactions: bobmyers
I'd recommend anyone who is looking into a 3D printer check out the Robo3D. They are insanely cheap for the features you get and the build size. Fairly easy to learn. I also have simplify3D but I find that its still not calibrated right. My prints come out much better with the included MatterControl.

Simplify3D is da bomb!
It sure is! And, the developers keep pumping out new versions to make it even better. It was well worth my investment.

@J Dot ,

Did you ever get a printer?
I didn't see any posts that said you got one.

Rod

Hey Rod,
Not yet :(
But DEFINATELY on my list of must haves!:)
Messing with goggles, and 360degree cameras, at the moment.
But those printers are cool as heck!
I'm going to build a workshop in my back yard here soon, gonna pour the slab in a couple weeks, then block it up, roof it, Windows doors, stucco, and then I'll have room for some cool toys, as I want a vinyl sticker cutter, 3D printer, and a CNC machine for aluminum parts, I have a mill machine, and lathe, few more items, and I can do full customized parts.
That is my goal over the next year or 2, CNC machine been wanting one for years, I used to work building torch/welding tips and machinery, I worked on their CNC machines there for 7 years, and am still friends with the owners, later next year they are selling their machines, and buying new and improved ones, I have 1 on hold, cant wait, not real good at auto-cad, but I'll learn, lol.

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks !

Looks like most of the little hobbie 3D printers produce plastic replacements,I take it the bigger ones will do metal? Can't imagine doing up bolts with a plastic shifter.....wrench for you yanks.

Thank

Thanks for the advice,
Bummer on enlarging it! But at least now I know! I guess I'll have to make all new parts, sucks, but maybe out of CNC aluminum?

Thanks again
J Dot

I haven't tried it yet, but some have 3D printed part at 103% for shrinkage, then embedded in plaster sand mix for aluminum poor mold. Haven't seen the filament yet, but they have rubber now as well.

@J Dot,
I starting thinking about 3D Printers again and I found this tread again, yesterday. :rolleyes:
Did you every buy one?

I have some money to spend, I want to stay under $1000.

To everybody else,
It would mostly be a personal toy,

For work use it would be great to make knobs for appliances that our discontinued, so I need strength and color?

Rod

Reactions: J Dot
Hey Rod,
No I never went down that road yet!
They are cool, and getting cooler! Some home made ones I've seen are insane!
I guess with me, I don't have a big NEED for one, or a reason for one, is most likely why I never got one, I have several friends and local buddies that have them from cheap to high end ones, and a couple home made ones as stated above! They have made me stuff before, phantom stuff, to those darn Fidget SPINNERS the kids are crazy over! But each makes parts to sell, or invention style stuff ( prototype parts ) before having them CNC made! They use them all the time!
Like you, discontinued parts in your profession, might be something to that! Let me know how it turns out?
A+

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: RodPad

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20