3d Printing for P3 mods

I'm using the XYZ printer that I've hacked into to run repetier and slicr so far I'm very happy with the printer and the quality of prints it turns out. I've upgraded every bearing to boca bearings and installed a better extruder I am able to resize to any dimension within the confines of my print table 8X8X8 just before it goes into Slice. since I hacked the system I can run whatever filament I want ABS, PLA, Nylon and even Ninja flex the XYZ line isn't bad even out of the box stock, but if you want real flexibility and full use of the machine you will want to hack it. its an easy process with a ton of information on the net to see it through to the end. best part is I only paid $300 for the printer another $200 in upgrades all the software I run is free to download. Like I said the printer printed great right out of the Box but it was only capable of running ABS and you had to buy XYZ cartridges of filament the newer models are now allowing more flexibility for filament use I bought one of the first models that came out.

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks,
You gave out a lot of info. :eek: ;)
To much for me now. ;)

Since this is an old thread, I guess we can keep it going.

Thought I had driving home, could we make clearance light lenses for Rvs, cars, etc.
Clear, Red, Amber, Etc.

Rod

How about this? Price is very good. Its from aliexpress
1510909849702.png

Thanks,
You gave out a lot of info. :eek: ;)
To much for me now. ;)

Since this is an old thread, I guess we can keep it going.

Thought I had driving home, could we make clearance light lenses for Rvs, cars, etc.
Clear, Red, Amber, Etc.

Rod
sure can filament is sold in transparent colors as well as solids. some printers will reject transparent filaments through the optical sensor that feeds the extruder a simple resolution to that issue is a small piece of tape over the sensor to trick it into thinking its seeing a solid. the sensor is in place so the system knows filament is still flowing for the job its printing its a sort of safety so if no filament is available the system stops heating the extruder and shuts down the feed system. so long as you have a full spool or that you know enough is left on a spool for the print job this wont pose a problem. one of the nice things about the XYZ printers is they monitor the filament used and will alert you that there wont be enough filament left to complete a job before it even starts to print it. That's a great feature to have.

How about this? Price is very good. Its from aliexpress View attachment 90908
the problem with open printers is they loose heat that's something you don't want in your prints since heat is how the layers bond. With any of these printers you will want to read a lot of reviews be warned though all printers have issues with software or hardware and some with both. you will want to find out if anyone has fixed the issues through Modifications, how costly and how involved they will be to perform. many will just buy the printer and later find they need programing skills to fix the issues. I had the Programming skills going in and chose wisely the printer with the least amount of cost to bring it up to quality print level.

Reactions: RodPad and Neon Euc
Thanks to both of you will catch up soon, long day, just had to check my alerts.;)

Rod

Reactions: Neon Euc
Thanks to both of you will catch up soon, long day, just had to check my alerts.;)

Rod
your welcome Brother I've had a 3D printer for 5 years now. I come from CNC background and Have a full Machine shop in my garage. 3D printing has come a long way. I'm happy to help you out with it

So I'm starting to look, how about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EY6OQXC/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

If the link don't work, here is the description..
[Open Filament] XYZprinting da Vinci 1.0 Pro. 3 in 1 Wireless -7.8'' x 7.8'' x 7.5'' (3D Printer/ 3D Scanner/ Laser Engraver)

Rod

this one is very nice and will be my next printer. I have a stand alone laser engraver, but I could have saved some cash if I had waited for this printer because it has the option to add the engraver for I believe 100$ not to shabby a deal IMO. the XYZ line is IMO one of the best units on the market for the price. and the community for these printers is massive and friendly. they are also easily upgradable and print quality is **** good rite out of the box

Thanks, I don't understand the 3D scanner part, can I put this knob like this in there and it will copy it?

If yes with or without a PC?
IMG_0357.jpg

Rod

Thanks, I don't understand the 3D scanner part, can I put this knob like this in there and it will copy it?

View attachment 91076

Rod

From what I understand you use your pc to create the width and height and layout and it will print it. Expensive printers scan it before hand

View attachment 91076

Rod
that is exactly rite it will scan any object you put in the printer provided its within the dimensions of the printers bed for width height and depth or X Y Z axis this is also a nice feature to have because it permits duplication of objects so lets say you have a knob on the stove that broke in half you can glue that knob together put it in the printer and scan it, it will save that file for you to print out to the exact dimensions. this can save a lot of time not having to draw it up in cad. I bought a handheld scanner that does this.

Can you put the knob in the printer in any direction and it does a one time scan or do you need to scan it multiple times in different positions?

Rod

some items such as knobs should go in upside down so the scanner can see the section that holds onto the shaft but then it should scan well in 1 scan. these are the little tricks you learn in printing same with setting it up to be printed, you will be able to rotate the item around in the printer program to find the best way to print it with as little support as possible. this saves filament, but if you aren't concerned about saving filament it can be printed at any angle with supports. there is only one other thing to consider with this method and that is show side so a knob you will want the best surface facing towards you those surfaces are usually best printed UP if you printed it sideways you would have the print lines running through the object and if it needed supports you would have to detach those supports that would leave some indication that they were there.

fortunately though all print lines can be smoothed with acetone, there are several ways to do this but IMO the best way is to used a double boiler style set up. so basically you will take a pot with some water in it and place a smaller glass container in the put of water in that container you put a couple ounces of acetone then suspend the part above it over the container then fire up the stove lowest heat possible to warm the water this will warm the acetone causing it to vaporize those vapors will rise up onto the printed part and smooth out all the print lines as well as give the part a nice glossy surface. I use an old frying pan as my boiler and a 1quart mason jar for my container. you can also sand items smooth and I sometimes do that and then use an acetone pen to further smooth and gloss over the part. acetone pens are basically a pen you put acetone in it has a felt tip to spread the acetone with I bought mine on amazon

Hum, Thanks!

Rod

No problem Brother if you like I can give a number you can text me at for any questions. But I think letting everyone here share in the conversation will help others as well. once you get a printer there is no shortage of print subjects this site is dedicated to 3D printing and will probably already have the files you need for just about everything your heart desires. Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

I do prefer to draw up my own CAD but learning a program takes time I use sketchup for just about everything because its free for personal use, but there are other programs with much more functionality but they can be pricy SketchUp Make 2015

Thanks again, I have almost (thought my self out) of this purchase.
Time learning, computer power, winter, other stuff, I should be doing, etc.

The answers I get from you, spring up at least 10 new questions to ask.

I will take a look at your links.

I have used, owned older Turbo Cad for some projects, but never mastered 3D drawings.

If a buy something, then I will go toward PM's, etc.

For now,
I will throw out some questions now and then.

If anybody else wants to join in, Do it!

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Last edited:
No Problem Brother there is a lot to consider and look at when buying something like this you can get away with a minimal computer, But having one with some power is always best when compiling complex geometry. I'm running a Dell Gaming laptop with Core i7, NVidia GFX card and 8gb of ram but I have done drawings and compiling on an cheap Inspiron with very little time lag

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj