2.4 vs 5.8-questions

Reaction score
Hi all
I tried to search this, but the search engine is a little bit too particular. I have been getting a "high wireless interference – fly with caution" everywhere I go to fly. I am also experiencing screen break up on my new crystal sky monitor.
So today I switched from 2. 4 to 5.8 and the warning screens immediately disappeared. I flew up to 400 feet and spun the bird around rapidly, but I had no screen break ups.
So I would like to fly at 5.8… Is this a reduced distance frequency? Do I have anything to worry about using this over 2.4? Any and all opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would like to fly at 5.8… Is this a reduced distance frequency? Do I have anything to worry about using this over 2.4? Any and all opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Generally 5.8 GHz is better in urban interference and 2.4GHz is the one to use away from developed areas.
The basic principle is to use whichever works best for you at your flying location and you can change "on the fly".
According to the specs, in the USA (FCC) the Phantom can achieve similar distances in either.
But strangely there are differences in range if used in a CE or SRRC location
Max Transmission Distance2.400 - 2.483 GHz (Unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km)
CE: 2.2 mi (3.5 km)
SRRC: 2.5 mi (4 km)​
5.725 - 5.825 GHz (Unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km)
CE: 1.2 mi (2 km)
SRRC: 3.1 mi (5 km)​

Reactions: David Cooke
From what I have heard, 2.4 is much more "crowded" with devices than 5.8. I fly 5.8 (P3S) in a residential area and rarely see any interference. Can't address range as I always fly line of sight. Someday maybe I'll push it!

I leave mine on 5.8 AUTO all the time. I get 3+ miles with clear line of site connection. Others go 5 miles in urban areas but having LOS is essential. These numbers assume Windsurfer installation on your antennas.

Hi all
I tried to search this, but the search engine is a little bit too particular. I have been getting a "high wireless interference – fly with caution" everywhere I go to fly. I am also experiencing screen break up on my new crystal sky monitor.
So today I switched from 2. 4 to 5.8 and the warning screens immediately disappeared. I flew up to 400 feet and spun the bird around rapidly, but I had no screen break ups.
So I would like to fly at 5.8… Is this a reduced distance frequency? Do I have anything to worry about using this over 2.4? Any and all opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Where do you see the interference message? Is it on your status menu when first power everything up before you take off? Does it pop up during flight? I often see this message on the ground before flight but I ignore it and once the bird is in the air I never see it again. I attribute the interference to actually having it in close proximity to the noise all around me at ground level where I fly. It's pretty hard to avoid it most times if you're taking off in your neighborhood or in areas where it can be conjested. Conversely, 5.8 isn't going to push that far from the source of typical networking gear and hence, less issues. But, 2.4 has been solid for me. I really think it becomes less of an issue at altitude no matter which frequency, although I've never really checked. I choose one frequency when I fly, never auto. I don't like the glitchy behavior of auto. I also don't think the characteristics of the phantom signals are at all like what you typically associate with networking gear. So use 5.8 if it's working for you and enjoy the peace and quite. I'm gonna guess your crystal sky screen breakup is unrelated to the signal frequency. If it's fixed, great, but keep an eye on it until you're confident.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimCJWolfe