1st disturbing find on P4

My friend recently told me he had the same issue with his and my Go-Pro, he flew in the last flying B-29 bomber a few weeks ago out of Naples, FL and he borrowed my Go-Pro Hero-4 Black and also filmed with his Hero-4 Silver and he said he had the same problem with all the video from both cameras, he said once it got to 14 minutes it would create a new clip.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My friend recently told me he had the same issue with his and my Go-Pro, he flew in the last flying B-29 bomber a few weeks ago out of Naples, FL and he borrowed my Go-Pro Hero-4 Black and also filmed with his Hero-4 Silver and he said he had the same problem with all the video from both cameras, he said once it got to 14 minutes it would create a new clip.

Why dont people read the posts on this problem? We know all these cameras produce splits on long shoots but only the DJI products lose frames at each split!!

Reactions: Kag49601
To sar104
That's interesting.
You say " the split clearly does not always happen at exactly the same time, presumably because compression efficiency varies with recorded detail."
What are the varying lengths of your continuous first clips?
Mine are all 9:20 or 9:21 as mine all seem to be CBR (constant bit rate)

The longest I've seen is 9:23, and the shortest is 9:04. These are MP4 files. I've assumed that the difference was due to variable bitrate, since the video info shows VBR mode with an overall bitrate of approximately 60 Mb/s - but it seems to vary depending on the video.

However, looking at the most recent files from the P4, the overall rate is more constant, independent of scene, varying between 59.9 and 60.1 which translates, for a fixed file limit, to a variability of only around 2 seconds. And that is consistent with those recent files, which are all in the 9:20 to 9:23 range.

So now I'm not sure if it is a change in the firmware or something else that accounts for that difference.

If you shoot in d-log, I believe the bitrate is more variable that standard shooting modes. Don't quote me on that, though. Can check later this afternoon with a few tests.

I just came back from flying outside and guess what?! The clip is split exactly at 09:21. SHOCKER! NOT!

It is very unlikely that the split would come in the critical 10 second shot you are interested in , the odd of that is even smaller than the odd of a bird comes from no where and hit your P4

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ian what do you base that on?
There must be a reason his clips vary yet mine are all 9:20 or 9:21 actually they are 9:20:06 to 9:21:07
Not that it matters as frames are lost , I have to plan around 9 min to 10 min anyway., just curious.

I have a 3+ black and a 3+ sliver. None of them skip frames...EVER !!! and YES, there can be times when that critical frame is the one skipped. Sure hope its a simple fix cause it would annoy the crap out of me as I do run cameras until either the battery dies OR the card is full. I do that because you never know what can happen at any given time so best to run the gopros all day (heaps of cards and batteries kept as i do 2 - 3 and up top 5 days away.

If you shoot in d-log, I believe the bitrate is more variable that standard shooting modes. Don't quote me on that, though. Can check later this afternoon with a few tests.
Mine are all dlog. They do vary slightly but not as much as some,ne
Anyone NOT dropping frames, using DJI cameras, at the split?

Thought I would give an update from our wonderful DJI tech support: Here is a small section of my corispondence with them and their latest reply to me today. Laughable to say the least..... I replied, telling them for the 5th time that this is not "normal" and that Gopro does it perfectly. They wont reply to that statement....

"Dear Kirk Grames

The loss of frames is unavoidable. It is normal.

Thank You

DJI

On Mon, Apr 11 at 9:25 AM , Kirk Grames wrote:

I have used the stock SD card that came with the P4 as well as the 32 and 64 GB version of this same card model.

Each file is approx 3-4 GB a piece as they should be. The file creation is fine, it just looses video frames between the files.

Below is a link to others that have this issue as well.

-------- Original message --------

Date: 4/11/16 12:02 PM (GMT-05:00)

To:

Subject: Re: chat

Dear Kirk Grames

How big are the files when they are being divided?

What is the model of the SD card being used?

Thank You

DJI"

And the final email from them. I guess since its "normal" according to them, they aren't even going to try and fix it..

"Dear Kirk Grames

Furthermore, since it is normal On DJI products, there is no fix, no fix is required.

Thank You

DJI"

On Fri, Apr 15 at 11:48 AM , DJI support.us <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Kirk Grames

Sadly, we can not comment on why the Go pro does not lose frames. As for DJI's architecture, that is the way it is. That is what will happen. On DJI products, the loss is unavoidable.

Thank You

DJI

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hey, wake up DJI! it is avoidable, just look at other 4k capable cameras, they all split files and do not lose frames, eg Sony, Panasonic, Nikon. I own at least four cameras that dont lose frames at file split. If those companies are smart enough to do this why cant you? Your drone technology is second to none, get your development team on the photo/video hardware/software side up to speed please.

Reactions: Kag49601
A for Answer... Good one! : )

My Vegas analogy is great.

Not only did I read what others posted, but I actually put the whole thing to the test. I set my P3P up in the living room and just hit record. Here are the results, just like I predicted BTW. At exactly 09:21 the clip stops and starts again. See attached picture.

I am not sure what my video setting are, but you can try for yourself and see at what time your clip is split up...

Kmd

What were the camera settings for this test? I think there shouldn't be any dropped frames, but if you know there will be a split a 9:21 or whatever, then plan accordingly.

And the final email from them. I guess since its "normal" according to them, they aren't even going to try and fix it..

"Dear Kirk Grames

Furthermore, since it is normal On DJI products, there is no fix, no fix is required.

Thank You

DJI"

On Fri, Apr 15 at 11:48 AM , DJI support.us <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Kirk Grames

Sadly, we can not comment on why the Go pro does not lose frames. As for DJI's architecture, that is the way it is. That is what will happen. On DJI products, the loss is unavoidable.

Thank You

DJI

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Shocking!! DJI have some good products contrasted with the dumbest most ignorant tech support I have ever come across. Though I purchased the phantom 4, it is unlikely I shall be purchasing from DJI in the future. For me, tech support is as important as buying the product itself.

It seems that when you use faster cards, the dropped frames between split files are less or even almost unnoticeable. Can someone confirm?

It seems that when you use faster cards, the dropped frames between split files are less or even almost unnoticeable. Can someone confirm?

It may make a marginal difference but you will still have at least one lost frame.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z