1st disturbing find on P4

Reaction score
When recording long videos it is normal for file system on the card to split files in smaller segments. In my case an ExFat file system splitting long recordings into 4.21GB segments. No problems here. But ... When you place these 2 files on an editing timeline the ending frame of the 1st segment SHOULD be the previous frame of the 1st frame on the second clip .. BUT THEY ARE NOT! Screwing up all recordings over the 4GB limit!! WTF!! My GoPro H3 does not do this.. segments ALWAYS match up frame perfect. This is one for a new f/w update.

Normal. GoPro cameras do this too.

It splits up the clip so if it gets corrupted you don't lose the whole clip. P3's do it too.

correct!
except he is saying the phantom drops some frames during the transition fro file to file.
the go pro he says matches exactly frame to frame.

I dont have go pro so cant confirm , but I have read this to be true

meaning when you replay the files you miss stuff

Normal. GoPro cameras do this too.

It splits up the clip so if it gets corrupted you don't lose the whole clip. P3's do it too.
Kman, did you even read my post?! Thank you Kirk for spelling it out for him!

This shouldnt be happening, the first frame of the new segment should be the next frame from the previous segment. Like has been said, my hero does it perfectly, no reason this should happen on the phantom.

Have you tried a different micro sd card?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It seems the list of P4 issues keeps growing. How many people are going to have second thoughts?

I am.. My P3A plus accessories is on eBay right now with 1 day to go. Bidding is high and I a wondering if I should pull it.

Yes, please pull it so that we don't have another person complain about range or battery of a P4

I won't pull it. Just nerves talking. I am an early adopter on most things, and I like the newest and greatest, even if the greatness many not be apparent for a few more weeks or months. DJI has made some amazing products, and I feel that they wil get this one right in the end. There is too much at stake to piss off an entire groups of users.

Like I said. Normal. The frames skip a few when the footage is broken up into another file. P3's do it too.
Kman I'm sorry but it's not normal at all! I use cameras of all sorts in my line of work as well as all file systems.. No frames should be dropped as this defeats the whole object of file spanning, - what the file system does to overcome its design limitation (in this case 4GB) The reason you are saying its normal is because you didn't know it shouldn't do that!!

Reactions: CANEKiTA
They all drop a frame when closing the file and opening a new file. Even the Inspire Pro does.

This shouldnt be happening, the first frame of the new segment should be the next frame from the previous segment. Like has been said, my hero does it perfectly, no reason this should happen on the phantom.

Have you tried a different micro sd card?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I'm using a Sandisk 64GB U3.. I will try the original card that came with the phantom and report back.. Though this could be some time as the weather here has turned very rainy!

Just out of curiosity... after how many minutes average of 1080 or 4k does it take before it hit the limit and splits the file?

I don't think I ever record more than a minute of film at a time, but then again all of my films are assembled clips rather than full flights.

Just out of curiosity... after how many minutes average of 1080 or 4k does it take before it hit the limit and splits the file?

I don't think I ever record more than a minute of film at a time, but then again all of my films are assembled clips rather than full flights.

Depends what frames per second you're shooting in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik