1st disturbing find on P4

People always leave out the UHS numbers.

Go get yourself a 32 gig or 64 gig Sandisk or Samsung but the very few and expensive ones that are UHS-3 because those have guaranteed read and write speeds of like a minimum of 80 rather than up to 80. Contrary to what a lot of people think around here, speed on those cards matter, a lot and they need higher speeds for quick writing to the card from the bird.

Somebody won't read this thread and will post the UHS-1 minimum requirement and to that person I say 28 minutes and 4 miles.
Where do you get a UHS-III micro SD card that has a minimum write speed of 80 Mbs? All I can find are the UHS-II which are 1800x with a minimum of 30 Mbs and max of 270 Mbs.
Lexar 64GB Professional 1800x UHS-II LSDMI64GCRBNA1800R B&H

This just happened to me today. Was flying my P4 around a lake and between each clip segment it skipped a frame. My gopro hero 4 doesn't do this. They need to get this fixed!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They all skip a frame, not just p4

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just for comparison - I checked some P3P split files, and those are also clearly missing around 10 frames at the split. I wonder why they haven't fixed it yet.
Yes, it's far more than a single frame, and more like a lost half a second when shooting in 4K...a real bummer, if that was the decisive moment. :(

Interesting. Guys on the other board told me the exact opposite.

So everyone is having the same issue no matter what card, firmware , P3, P4 etc?

I need it to stop raining so I can try the new card and see if I get the same results.

Kinda sucks if so.
You can easily test it in your living room. No need to be in the air. :cool:

Sandisk Extreme 64GB U3 is all you'll ever need for a P4 recording at the highest bit rate.. Its states UP TO 90MBs that's NOT 90Mbs, P4 4K only requires 60Mbs which is only 7.5MBs - Card manufactures and Device manufactures are known for not talking to each other and not using the same units of measurement! - the reason why some cards 'appear' not to work is because of the compatibility between card and host. 'U' 1,2,3 etc states the cards interface performance/compatibility.

Sandisk Extreme 64GB U3 is all you'll ever need for a P4 recording at the highest bit rate.. Its states UP TO 90MBs that's NOT 90Mbs, P4 4K only requires 60Mbs which is only 7.5MBs - Card manufactures and Device manufactures are known for not talking to each other and not using the same units of measurement! - the reason why some cards 'appear' not to work is because of the compatibility between card and host. 'U' 1,2,3 etc states the cards interface performance/compatibility.
Works also good class 10 cards that easily write 20MB/sec that is almost triple of what needed by P3 and P4.

The cards I use don't have this issue with my gopro but do on my P4 so I don't think it has anything to do with the card speed, unfortunately.

Where do you get a UHS-III micro SD card that has a minimum write speed of 80 Mbs? All I can find are the UHS-II which are 1800x with a minimum of 30 Mbs and max of 270 Mbs.
Lexar 64GB Professional 1800x UHS-II LSDMI64GCRBNA1800R B&H
Here is a UHS-3 card. It's also tested for ruggedness.

I don't think it has a minimum write speed of 80. Probably somewhere like 40 or 50.

You'll have to go find out what the minimum is for UHS-3.

Amazon.com: SanDisk - Pixtor Advanced 32GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-3 Memory Card - Red/Gold: MP3 Players & Accessories

I am a bit surprised that anyone would want to record continuous clips of such a length. I can't imagine what kind of video production would call for that.
99.999% of ALL Drone clips on the internet are one continuous shot. That is because 99.999% of all Drone owners have nothing to to do with Filmography or Photography. All they know is to hit 'record' when they start flying and hit 'stop recording' when they land. I always thought it was the dumbest thing on the planet. Especially considering that 99.999% of all those videos are exactly the same - Flying over some beach or land with some piano music in the background, ha ha.

The only time you will see Drone footage applied "correctly" is when you see either commercials, movies or something like Mythbusters. They use Aerial footage quiet often, but only for a few seconds and not for 18 minutes...

99.999% of ALL Drone clips on the internet are one continuous shot. That is because 99.999% of all Drone owners have nothing to to do with Filmography or Photography. All they know is to hit 'record' when they start flying and hit 'stop recording' when they land. I always thought it was the dumbest thing on the planet. Especially considering that 99.999% of all those videos are exactly the same - Flying over some beach or land with some piano music in the background, ha ha.

The only time you will see Drone footage applied "correctly" is when you see either commercials, movies or something like Mythbusters. They use Aerial footage quiet often, but only for a few seconds and not for 18 minutes...

Actually a number of pilots corrected me and gave good reasons why they do shoot continuously. It isn't as simple as in the old days, apparently.

A1: place a clip on your editing timeline, then cut the clip in half and take out three or four frames were you made the cut. Playback the timeline (both clips) and tell me if you notice a difference at the cut point in playback!

A2: No!

Whats up with A1 and A2? Why don't you simply say either "A" and "B" or, "1" and "2"??? LOL.

Seriously though, no one says that it will not be noticeable. What most people are saying is that if you do it "right" it will not matter. What you are doing is like saying, "Well, I went to Vegas with $28 bucks in my pocket and I had no fun at all!" Of course you didn't. Who told you to go to Vegas with only $28 bucks in your pocket?!

I forgot: YES, calling something like this "disturbing" is DISTURBING!!!

Here's an example; a shot of a continuous flight that has been sped up for effect (and may only last 10 seconds) on a title sequence or to illustrate an area of interest.. You're obviously not a filmmaker!

I seriously doubt that it would show if 3 frame are missing in a sped up sequence. Buy hey, what do I know?!

You forgot to include your example. And in any case, if you speed it up for that purpose then you will be substantially downsampling frames to achieve an appropriate framerate, and the odd missing frame will be irrelevant. Strange conclusion too.

Exactly.

I use it it for waypoint missions. Im not sure why people are getting upset over the fact that someone needs this functionality.... The point of all of this is that some cameras (gopro) do it well and DJI does it like ****. Regardless of the use case it's a problem. For someone to troll this post and insinuate that someone isn't a "filmmaker" because they prefer there equipment to work correctly is ridiculous. Why are you even subscribed to this post if you don't have the issue??? Seems like a waste of time to me...

I know this would piss me right off; imagine getting the perfect shot 30 seconds long and then bringing it home and finding that perfect shot split up in the middle and missing several frames. Ludicrous that this would be happening, and the DJI apologists in this thread are just as ridiculous.
I guess it would also piss you off to start flying with 16% battery left, and then having to come back after 1:30 minutes?! Or starting to film a 2 minute scene with only 30 seconds left on the "tape". Or probably when you were recording 90 minute movies with 60 minute VHS tapes. I know, it is hard having to deal with reality and actually doing a little bit of planning.

That would be annoying, but again - who simply records continuous video to extract from? I always start a new clip for each planned element. More efficient, and easier to keep track of clips. You don't do that, or are you just imagining things to get angry about?

Exactly. You totally get it. They don't. Too bad.

Anytime I shoot B roll, I shoot continuously for the whole flight. Every move of the drone is done so that it can be a potential shot. The file break that drops a frame can come right in the middle of a movement that would otherwise be a usable shot.

Well, if that happens, too bad. I would say though, that if a little bit of planning is involved, this "outrageously disgusting, disturbing problem" can be to 90% eliminated.

I guess that people always find something to "complain" about. If the Drone "only" flies for 20 minutes, the ask for 25. Once it flies for 25 min. they are mad that it doesn't fly for 30... and so on.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Well, if that happens, too bad. I would say though, that if a little bit of planning is involved, this "outrageously disgusting, disturbing problem" can be to 90% eliminated.

How exactly do you propose that one can eliminate it? It doesn't happen at the same time. There is no indication that it is about to happen and there is no indication that it has happened.

I guess that people always find something to "complain" about. If the Drone "only" flies for 20 minutes, the ask for 25. Once it flies for 25 min. they are mad that it doesn't fly for 30... and so on.

Considering that GoPro was able to do seamless transitions 10 years ago and DJI essentially copied GoPro's designs, it's more than "finding something to complain about".

I find it useful to let the video run from start to landing. However, up until now I've been shooting at 1080p which keeps the file sizes down. Maybe I'll just stick to that.

bought a new laptop.... 4k all day now!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik