1st disturbing find on P4

Whats up with A1 and A2? Why don't you simply say either "A" and "B" or, "1" and "2"??? LOL.

Seriously though, no one says that it will not be noticeable. What most people are saying is that if you do it "right" it will not matter. What you are doing is like saying, "Well, I went to Vegas with $28 bucks in my pocket and I had no fun at all!" Of course you didn't. Who told you to go to Vegas with only $28 bucks in your pocket?!

I forgot: YES, calling something like this "disturbing" is DISTURBING!!!
A = ANSWER!!! loooooool

Your Vegas analogy is totally irrelevant. The fact that frames are missing is fact enough. Read what users are saying before posting next time.

Reactions: Kag49601
As the camera captures video , it is stored in a buffer which is then written to the card. At the point the file is split the system needs to do a little math and pull the next frame from the buffer before starting its write to card. It's not doing the calculation to find that frame.
That is the problem. They need to address this but it may not be in firmware.
It may be hardware programmed.
For now , the break comes at 9min 20 secs at the settings I use so I need to monitor time and avoid the " glitch" ( missing frames) in any shots finishing the scene before then. Or be prepared to edit it out. NOT professional at all. More Disney like

As the camera captures video , it is stored in a buffer which is then written to the card. At the point the file is split the system needs to do a little math and pull the next frame from the buffer before starting its write to card. It's not doing the calculation to find that frame.
That is the problem. They need to address this but it may not be in firmware.
It may be hardware programmed.
For now , the break comes at 9min 20 secs at the settings I use so I need to monitor time and avoid the " glitch" ( missing frames) in any shots finishing the scene before then. Or be prepared to edit it out. NOT professional at all. More Disney like
Exactly! I emailed DJI a few days ago and they told me that my computer must not be fast enough... Lol I run two GTX 970's in SLI.... Yeah that's the problem. I keep throwing in thier face that my GoPros separate the files perfectly. I still haven't heard back... [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Exactly! I emailed DJI a few days ago and they told me that my computer must not be fast enough... Lol I run two GTX 970's in SLI.... Yeah that's the problem. I keep throwing in thier face that my GoPros separate the files perfectly. I still haven't heard back... [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I'm very surprised DJI would say that to you. The person who responded to you obviously has no knowledge of the fundamentals of these things. I find it disturbing this person is fronting their tech support.

We've all noticed the similarity of DJI's marketing to Apple.. (And why not! Like Apple, DJI have some great products), but DJI have some way to go before their customer support is anything like Apple.

How exactly do you propose that one can eliminate it? It doesn't happen at the same time. There is no indication that it is about to happen and there is no indication that it has happened.

Well, my GoPro does it at the exact same time, every time. 08:53. Of course the 08:53 mark applies only, when using the same video settings. Using a different resolution and frame rate, will change the time when the video is split. However, that time will be again the same (relative speaking) when using the same settings. Why would a P3P work differently? The GoPro does this because of the file system used. The P3P "should" do the same. That said. Of course I am only taking an educated guess here. I should simply try it...on the bench.

Considering that GoPro was able to do seamless transitions 10 years ago and DJI essentially copied GoPro's designs, it's more than "finding something to complain about".
I don't care who did what 10 years ago. I look at the CURRENT situation and try to find a solution...

Thanks.

EDIT: And I believe I did indeed find a solution. See my next post.

Last edited:
A = ANSWER!!! loooooool

Your Vegas analogy is totally irrelevant. The fact that frames are missing is fact enough. Read what users are saying before posting next time.
A for Answer... Good one! : )

My Vegas analogy is great.

Not only did I read what others posted, but I actually put the whole thing to the test. I set my P3P up in the living room and just hit record. Here are the results, just like I predicted BTW. At exactly 09:21 the clip stops and starts again. See attached picture.

I am not sure what my video setting are, but you can try for yourself and see at what time your clip is split up...

Kmd

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 273
A for Answer... Good one! : )

My Vegas analogy is great.

Not only did I read what others posted, but I actually put the whole thing to the test. I set my P3P up in the living room and just hit record. Here are the results, just like I predicted BTW. At exactly 09:21 the clip stops and starts again. See attached picture.

I am not sure what my video setting are, but you can try for yourself and see at what time your clip is split up...

Kmd

I'm not sure that you have read the thread. The issue is not that the clip is split, it is that frames are lost in the process - approximately 10 of them.

I'm not sure that you have read the thread. The issue is not that the clip is split, it is that frames are lost in the process - approximately 10 of them.

Stop asking me if I read the thread, when you are clearly the one not reading it. My last post was directed to ianwood (thus me quoting him [emoji6] ). Allow me to quote him AGAIN:

How exactly do you propose that one can eliminate it? It doesn't happen at the same time. There is no indication that it is about to happen and there is no indication that it has happened.

Does my post NOW make more sense to you!? I certainly hope so!?

That said. I understand that it is not about the camera splitting the clip, rather than it dropping frames while doing so.

In my case, the "split" happens after the exact same time, over and over again. Since that is the case, I have no issues planning a shot in a way that the dropped frames do not become an issue.

Now, it is up to you to decide, if you prefer to shoot a 5 minute scene at the beginning of a 30 minute "tape", or at the end, when you have 3 minutes left, and then call it BS that your scene got "cutoff".

That is because 99.999% of all Drone owners have nothing to to do with Filmography or Photography. All they know is to hit 'record' when they start flying and hit 'stop recording' when they land. I always thought it was the dumbest thing on the planet.

I shoot for film and television. When I shoot B roll, I don't cut. I roll film and I treat every movement like a shot. That's how you maximize usable footage.

And when I am on set and the A/D calls camera, I have to roll film and I don't cut until they say it. That's the way it works. This makes the Inspire Pro a liability. If there's a delay before they call action, it can force a reset. And extended scenes are even more of a liability with the Inspire Pro which is just plain dumb.

Reactions: Kag49601 and Myetkt
Stop asking me if I read the thread, when you are clearly the one not reading it. My last post was directed to ianwood (thus me quoting him [emoji6] ). Allow me to quote him AGAIN:

Does my post NOW make more sense to you!? I certainly hope so!?

That said. I understand that it is not about the camera splitting the clip, rather than it dropping frames while doing so.

In my case, the "split" happens after the exact same time, over and over again. Since that is the case, I have no issues planning a shot in a way that the dropped frames do not become an issue.

Now, it is up to you to decide, if you prefer to shoot a 5 minute scene at the beginning of a 30 minute "tape", or at the end, when you have 3 minutes left, and then call it BS that your scene got "cutoff".

Are you confusing me with another poster? And no - your response, that I quoted in fact, was to realsting, not to ianwood. And, in real shooting, the split clearly does not always happen at exactly the same time, presumably because compression efficiency varies with recorded detail. If it did in your test then that may have been because you were recording a constant, unchanging scene (your living room).

I shoot for film and television. When I shoot B roll, I don't cut. I roll film and I treat every movement like a shot. That's how you maximize usable footage.

And when I am on set and the A/D calls camera, I have to roll film and I don't cut until they say it. That's the way it works. This makes the Inspire Pro a liability. If there's a delay before they call action, it can force a reset. And extended scenes are even more of a liability with the Inspire Pro which is just plain dumb.
I have to agree. In a scenario like yours, it seems not ideal at all to use a Phantom/Inspire. No doubt about it.

Its just sad that the phantom 2 with gopro is the better choice for your scenario and mine since the gopro seamlessly transitions the files with no frame lost. I love my phantom 4 but this frame drop problem shouldn't even be an issue. Unfortunately the geniuses at DJI tech support just keep dancing around the issue and blaming it on our phones and even editing PC....

Getting salty in here. [emoji52]

Filmmaker here. Frame dropping is an issue. It shouldn't happen. I know a lot of people are hobbyists, and that's great! But for people who make a living off of this equipment, things like dropped frames are extremely annoying. Now sure, some might say "keep an eye on the counter so you can start a new recording before it splits" and for many, that's an adequate solution. For me though, I want as little distraction as possible so I can get the most perfect clip I'm capable of shooting.

Others might say "it's a $1,400 drone, what can you expect?" The problem is that this spans across the whole DJI product line—including the Zenmuse sensors. Not to mention, the Phantom 4 grabs excellent, stable, usable footage for web videos. The fact of the matter is that this shouldn't happen. On other devices, like the GoPro as mentioned by others, it isn't an issue. If DJI wants premium pricing and a premium experience, it has to step up its game even more. Especially since they cater to the pro market.

Also, I'm not sure what it's worth, but DJI sent me the Phantom 4 for review. I run a pretty successful YouTube channel, and they might listen to my feedback a little more closely since they sent their product. I'll mention it in the video I post next week

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
Getting salty in here. [emoji52]

Filmmaker here. Frame dropping is an issue. It shouldn't happen. I know a lot of people are hobbyists, and that's great! But for people who make a living off of this equipment, things like dropped frames are extremely annoying. Now sure, some might say "keep an eye on the counter so you can start a new recording before it splits" and for many, that's an adequate solution. For me though, I want as little distraction as possible so I can get the most perfect clip I'm capable of shooting.

Others might say "it's a $1,400 drone, what can you expect?" The problem is that this spans across the whole DJI product line—including the Zenmuse sensors. Not to mention, the Phantom 4 grabs excellent, stable, usable footage for web videos. The fact of the matter is that this shouldn't happen. On other devices, like the GoPro as mentioned by others, it isn't an issue. If DJI wants premium pricing and a premium experience, it has to step up its game even more. Especially since they cater to the pro market.

Also, I'm not sure what it's worth, but DJI sent me the Phantom 4 for review. I run a pretty successful YouTube channel, and they might listen to my feedback a little more closely since they sent their product. I'll mention it in the video I post next week
That is exactly how I see it! I also don't mind shooting smaller clips (which I do the majority). When I do want to keep rolling, though, I want to concentrate on the footage not the video length. Hopefully you can get more traction with DJI. My experience with their support team has been frustrating to say the least.

That is exactly how I see it! I also don't mind shooting smaller clips (which I do the majority). When I do want to keep rolling, though, I want to concentrate on the footage not the video length. Hopefully you can get more traction with DJI. My experience with their support team has been frustrating to say the least.
My only connections are to their marketing department, so I'm not sure what I'll get accomplished either. LOL. Worth a shot. Hopefully my audience is big enough that they'll listen.

And, in real shooting, the split clearly does not always happen at exactly the same time, presumably because compression efficiency varies with recorded detail. If it did in your test then that may have been because you were recording a constant, unchanging scene (your living room).
Dude, you have no clue, do you. Please have the last word as I am done talking to you...

To sar104
That's interesting.
You say " the split clearly does not always happen at exactly the same time, presumably because compression efficiency varies with recorded detail."
What are the varying lengths of your continuous first clips?
Mine are all 9:20 or 9:21 as mine all seem to be CBR (constant bit rate)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20