Format SD card exFAT? (Avoid large video file splits)

Reaction score
Anyone able to format a 32GB SD card as exFAT and have it work in the P3P? If I format it in the PC as exFAT, the bird says "Invalid SD card". If I format in the bird, all is well.

Or, does anyone know how to set the P3P to format as exFAT?

Reason: When recording long flights (1080p60) large files are broken up at 4GB and the resultant files when edited together have a "jump" in the frames that are adjacent at the edit. Like there is a slight (3-5 frame) delay when the files are split in the aircraft....I'd like to avoid the file splitting if possible.

P3P, all current firmware (this has been going on in previous firmware versions as well).

Cheers!

Reactions: zacksomeone
It's the only format my P3P accepted. When I used an old SD card formated to FAT16 (I think) by mistake, the update completely failed. When I used a new 64GB card formatted exFAT, all went to plan with our problems. I always format using my PC then insert in the bird.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: skeeter
I have a 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro on the way....will try it again.....

The P3 (and also P4 from what I understand) will always split video files near the 4GB file limit of FAT32, even if using a higher density card (ie 32GB/64GB) formatted as exFat.
It's a limitation of the P3 itself.

Reactions: JoBe
Aye, not possible as far as I know. Really wish it was because I know on the P4 the video skips a few frames going from one file to the next, so if you have a shot you want that gets split between two files there's going to be a jump. Granted you can just make sure to stop and start the recording right before said shot to ensure it doesn't get split but wish that wasn't necessary.

Rats... I was afraid of that. Oh well....

I think the one that came with it was formatted as fat32.

I used a free software called My MP4Box Gui. Yo can use it to put the video segments together (1 file)
We get multiple files by going past 4gb. But also if we stop and take some stills and restart video.

Mp4box does not recompress. You take the .h624 file out of the MP4 or MOV container. (called demuxing)
Then take the Demuxed .h264 files and join them. Select save as for new file name and it will write a new file in mp4 container. No recompress. Very fast.

Scroll down on the startup screen and press format.

From dji spec sheet

FAT32 ( ≤ 32 GB ); exFAT ( > 32 GB )

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl