128 G card in Phantom 4

I've been using a 128gb Lexar since launch of the P4. Best Buy screwed up the pricing and charged me less than a 64gb card of the same specs. I don't ever fill it without dumping it between flights. DJI stating that 64gb is the max must have been from older marketing material.

Have a read through this article.

Western Digital Launches World’s Fastest 256GB microSD Card, Broadens SanDisk Memory Card Portfolio With New High-Capacity Solutions | Business Wire

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Suhail78
I wish. Just went to the DJI site, 64 gab for p4

This isn't uncommon. Many phone manufacturers will say the same thing, but yet a larger card still works. 128GB is all I use and I'll grant you, I don't have much time under my belt, but there hasn't been one hiccup using it. The only other thing I'll say about it is that if you use a Mac, it's best to format it to FAT32 rather than leave it exFAT. The P4 still splits the files regardless and Macs tend to corrupt exFAT drives.

Reactions: grizgrin
Also I have 5 Batteries and live in Canada which is BIG and can not take my Desk top out with me to transfer file on site.
If you value your images, this solution works much better than a 64 or 128GB card.
i-Cwd27g9-L.jpg

If you value your images, this solution works much better than a 64 or 128GB card.
i-Cwd27g9-L.jpg

Everyone says this, and maybe it's true if you're a professional, but as a pure hobbyist I can safely say that if the drone flies away I won't be concerned about the sd card much. You can always take more footage. Different strokes and all that. I just prefer not having to swap sd cards while out flying. Land, swap batteries, and get right back up.

If I am going to put all that time energy and planning to get good video I will not scimp on the quality of the card. I will buy some no name food but no cheap parts on my flying toys or any other toys for that matter. I love my hobbies and premature failure to save a couple of bucks will put a dent in my day.

Hi
As a caution, I have just been through a Air Encoder Error (0x800020) with my P4. This error caused the unit not transmit any images. I could not fly like this. I could not fix it. DJI said to send it in for repair.
DJI was great in having me send in my P4 to California, and replacing some parts and sending it back to me. It was about three weeks time.

However, as we found out, the repairs may have been unnecessary.
I believe I experienced the Air Encoder Error (0x800020) due to a corruption of some sort on my 64 GB SD micro. Once I received the P4 back from DJI, I plugged in my card and I still had the problem. I still could not fly. I contact DJI, they suggested I try the original SD card. I put this original card back in, and the problem was fixed.
On 64 GB SD micro, I could read the .mov and .Jpg files on my computer. However, the P4 did not work with it and it could not reformat the card. I eventually used a camera to reformat the 64 GB card. The Air Encoder Error (0x800020) problem was fixed. I then used the P4 to again reformat the 64 GB card and it is working fine.

As a caution, if you start having any problems image transmission, it could be the card you are using. If your card is too cheap or a cull off the assembly line, you could end up in real trouble. Be very cautious with your card choice. A cheap card could cause a crash.

Cheers

Reactions: Erised
Hi
As a caution, I have just been through a Air Encoder Error (0x800020) with my P4. This error caused the unit not transmit any images. I could not fly like this. I could not fix it. DJI said to send it in for repair.
DJI was great in having me send in my P4 to California, and replacing some parts and sending it back to me. It was about three weeks time.

However, as we found out, the repairs may have been unnecessary.
I believe I experienced the Air Encoder Error (0x800020) due to a corruption of some sort on my 64 GB SD micro. Once I received the P4 back from DJI, I plugged in my card and I still had the problem. I still could not fly. I contact DJI, they suggested I try the original SD card. I put this original card back in, and the problem was fixed.
On 64 GB SD micro, I could read the .mov and .Jpg files on my computer. However, the P4 did not work with it and it could not reformat the card. I eventually used a camera to reformat the 64 GB card. The Air Encoder Error (0x800020) problem was fixed. I then used the P4 to again reformat the 64 GB card and it is working fine.

As a caution, if you start having any problems image transmission, it could be the card you are using. If your card is too cheap or a cull off the assembly line, you could end up in real trouble. Be very cautious with your card choice. A cheap card could cause a crash.

Cheers
Do you think it was a card quality issue or related to card size?

Everyone says this, and maybe it's true if you're a professional, but as a pure hobbyist I can safely say that if the drone flies away I won't be concerned about the sd card much. You can always take more footage. Different strokes and all that. I just prefer not having to swap sd cards while out flying. Land, swap batteries, and get right back up.
Yes, if you're a hobbyist that could be true, different strokes for different folks. If the video isn't worth anything, then you have no risk. Many of us travel for miles, sometimes by plane to do a video job for money. Once it's done, it's best to pull the SD and replace, for safety. It takes 15 seconds. Try to explain the loss of a customer's video when it was preventable. Once you leave a job site it's costly to return and reshoot, and sometimes it's impossible to redo because of timing. I never use a job SD for a another flight until I have it triple copied (laptop, Dropbox, Carbonite or Goggle drive), then it gets erased for the next job.

I really like this SD card holder. Initially I bought one of those credit card shaped holders, but it turns out those are too small, it got lost too often. This larger holder is easier to handle and harder to lose, not to mention it's water resistant. I don't need water resistant, however this case is super rugged, you can drive over with a car, it's that tough. I typically carry six 32GB cards and one 64GB card. This has worked well so far.

Last edited:
Yes, if you're a hobbyist that could be true, different strokes for different folks. If the video isn't worth anything, then you have no risk. Many of us travel for miles, sometimes by plane to do a video job for money. Once it's done, it's best to pull the SD and replace, for safety. It takes 15 seconds. Try to explain the loss of a customer's video when it was preventable. Once you leave a job site it's costly to return and reshoot, and sometimes it's impossible to redo because of timing. I never use a job SD for a another flight until I have it triple copied (laptop, Dropbox, Carbonite or Goggle drive), then it gets erased for the next job.

Hence the qualifier and all the "I" statements...

I can understand what you say , I can only answer the WHY ? and that is 128g SD card bought for $5 on Ebay free shipping.
Seems to work fine to me .
Also I have 5 Batteries and live in Canada which is BIG and can not take my Desk top out with me to transfer file on site .
I just wondered if it was going to cause any other problems , I am a Newbie and we do ask such stupid ? Sorry please just put up with me .
I call it learning from Professionals .

using this logic why not just get hundreds of 1GB cards? Because that's stupid and inconvenient.

Hi everyone
I have just put a 128g card in my 4 and after tests at home in my front room seems to work OK .
Anyone else done this ? am I going to have problems ?

I use a 128 that is for iPhones, etc. Samsung 128 - works fine on my P3. Walmart, $29.

I have used a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128gb micro sd card - read 95 write 90 in my phantom 4. The phantom 4 supports a 128gb card. Stay with main stream cards and check the speeds quoted are for writing as well as reading, most speeds quoted are for reading only.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik