107 Pilots inspecting towers reaching into Class E airspace.

Reaction score
I have a question for Part 107.

In regard to inspecting radio towers. If the tower is 1300’ reaching into Class E airspace (even though the base of the tower is in Class G; can I fly my drone to an altitude of 1700’? Even though it is still within the 400’ of the structures immediate uppermost limit? The reg reads:

Cannot be flown higher than 400 feet above ground level (AGL), unless flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure and does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit;

As you can see there is no verbiage to include or exclude Class E airspace.

Last edited:
Two separate issues. One, how high you can fly and the other where. Once you get into controlled airspace, regardless of how close you are to a structure, you need prior authorization.

Class E airspace is still Class E airspace no matter what is poking up into it. You need authorization before you ascend out of Class G.

Actually you don't need authorization for Class E unless it's Class E at the surface.

Not in the case the OP presented. Normally, anything other than (sfc) is higher than we would fly under part 107. At 1700 ft, he's in any class E and would require authorization.

Hi, Richard. Yes, flying next to a tower at 1700 feet he would be in Class E. But authorization is still not required. The only Class E that requires authorization is Class E surface area.

I stand corrected - lateral boundaries of Class E surface area it is.

I have a question for FAA 107 certified Remote Pilots.

In regard to inspecting radio towers. If the tower is 1300’ reaching into Class E airspace (even though the base of the tower is in Class G; can I fly my drone to an altitude of 1700’? Even though it is still within the 400’ of the structures immediate uppermost limit? The reg reads:

Cannot be flown higher than 400 feet above ground level (AGL), unless flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure and does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit;

As you can see there is no verbiage to include or exclude Class E airspace.

This was one of the questions on the Part 107 exam.

Richard have you already taken the Part 107 exam? If so you do realize you agreed to a Nondisclosure agreement with the FAA? Even though it's discussed to exhaustion in many areas I wouldn't be the one to be noted as quoting the test questions online.

TBH it doesn't matter since no Phantom 3 or later running up-to-date firmware can go above 1640 feet anyway. :p
No, but in the example cited, you could be flying level with the tower at 1300 which could get you into some Class E airspace.

You may fly in Class E airspace without authorization >unless< the Class E is surface area associated with an airport. So, the Class E that lives permanently at 1200 feet (sometimes dipping down to 700 feet) does not require authorization.

Reactions: BigAl07
You may fly in Class E airspace without authorization >unless< the Class E is surface area associated with an airport. So, the Class E that lives permanently at 1200 feet (sometimes dipping down to 700 feet) does not require authorization.
I really thin that you are wrong on that. The Part 107 regs only comment on Class E (sfc) because that would normally be the only one that we could legally fly into. Under the OP's situation, you could reach those higher spaces and flying into any controlled airspace still requires prior authorization.

I appreciate your good, healthy skepticism, but I'm not wrong on this one. Here it is, verbatim:

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

I appreciate your good, healthy skepticism, but I'm not wrong on this one. Here it is, verbatim:

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).
I took my test yesterday. Without violating my confidentiality agreement I will say the concept, mentioned above, confused me initially. I will add that I did not miss a single airspace/sectional question on the test. So I'm really going to plug GOLD SEAL here. Three of us took the test yesterday. I was the only one who took any online course. I was also the only one who passed. One guy did fail with a 68.. though.
I took the course online and really feel that I was ready after a few weeks. I gave myself 3 weeks and used GOLD SEAL and the resources exclusively. For me it reduces the amount of time needed to prepare. Some folks on here just use the FAA resources and do fine. After taking the test yesterday I can say that would not have worked for me. Nuances like the one discussed above don't come across clearly in the written material. I can tell you GOLD SEAL has a practice question that absolutely addresses this and a number of things that I probably would not have caught simply reading the material. Drop the $$$ take the course... and pass the test.

I will say this, GOLD SEAL will have 2 new customers that I referred. FYI - I am not affiliated with GOLD SEAL and paid full price for the course. 1 try 1 certification.

Reactions: N42742

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.

And we all know you must be "verbatim" with the FAA and other Federal Agencies.

Though I don't have the expertise as Big Al or Richard (not sarcasm) I would tend to lean towards Gold Seal's opinion/statement.

I also see the point of no air traffic within 400ft. of the tower anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan