107 air space waiver

Just to add more salt to the wound LOL

All ATC will be briefed over the next couple of weeks ....
No salt detected. Sounds pretty doggone good. Has "DT" already taken over?!- Ha. Sounds like this Agency is actually doing its best not to stand in the way, while creating the safest possible environment for all kinds of pilots. Could not ask for more than that.

No salt detected. Sounds pretty doggone good. Has "DT" already taken over?!- Ha. Sounds like this Agency is actually doing its best not to stand in the way, while creating the safest possible environment for all kinds of pilots. Could not ask for more than that.
Totally agree!! The FAA isn't the enemy and I shutter at all of the posts where people are complaining or berating them. When you read through the comments collected before the ruling, there were a lot of people out there who really were trying to ground us. IMO, the FAA did (and are still doing) a pretty remarkable job getting us integrated into the NAS. By "us" I mean all UAS's, not just Phantom pilots. Playing by the rules is one way for us to pay them back and to help insure that they continue to 'be on our side'.

I have my remote pilot cert. There is class e(sfc) airport in the general area.
Thinking applying for a waiver to take a real estate pic in that area is probably not practical.
They want times and dates on the application.
When you have no idea how long that the process is going to take how is that possible?
If it's a month later what's the use.
Hoping I'm missing something here.

You mention you have your remote pilot cert.... Your Part 107, correct?
When you say there is an Class E (SFC) airport in the general area... that doesn't tell us much. You need to look at a chart and see if the area you want to operate in, is within the SFC boundary. If it is, then you need to fill out the form from FAA for a waiver. If it is not, then you don't need to do anything. You don't even need to notify the tower.

One thing I noticed on the waiver site pertaining to airspace authorization once you check the box lat and long are required.
Apperently airspace authorization has to be site specific.
Could well mean multiple requests.

yes multiple requests and most likely if you are doing this for real estate, the house will be sold by the time you get the waiver granted. Total BS. just can't get photos of houses within Controlled Airspace.

And guys, don't confuse waivers and authorizations. Getting a waiver will probably be a much longer process. Once the authorizations side of things starts working, I'd suspect those will be processed relatively quickly. Don't request a waiver when you really wanted an airspace authorization.

Reactions: Falcon900
I agree. I've been that route with the USFS to take commercial photos in the forest. Time: 2 weeks to 2 months which is absurd due to weather changes and rivers drying up while the process unfolds. Then you also get to deal with sundry permits by the local agencies who want their share of the commercial money too, like parking your car for $1,600 (Not kidding!) by road's dept. Cost ran over $2,000 for 3 hours - legally.

I wouldn't at all be surprised even with a waiver you will need a commercial shoot permit by the local film commissioner's office. Maybe even a one-day business license from the city you're in within a large metro too. FilmLA will glady take your $660 to start the permit process for a day of commercial shooting - if you want to do it legally in LA. That or drop a few thousand for a credit with them to draw from that makes the process faster - maybe.

Dealing with bureaucracy can be an eye opener. Okay, a wallet opener too.

If you're shooting aerial video for real estate marketing, you do not need a "film permit" in Los Angeles.
Please see attached pdf.

Attachments

• LAFilmPermits.pdf
    74.2 KB · Views: 207
No, the FAA notifies the ATC and issues a NOTAM. I will not be communicating at all with local airports, as directed by the FAA. Neither should you.
It seems like the FAA doesn't want us talking to the airports directly. The waiver is for a period
NOT disagreeing here AT ALL, but where is that FAA instruction not to call. Do you have a link - I missed it even though I know you are right. I can't seem to find it but want to print it out for my "FAA Folder" - yeah, I am bit persnickety about keeping papers. Right now, the ONLY place I can find this is on the FAA UAS "frequently asked questions page," and nowhere else - nothing to back it up that I can find: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help .

By the way, I just spoke with a tower person (at -unnamed- small airport) and she said, "We've heard about the new system but really think it is a better idea to call." Seems the water is a little muddy with some. It will work out - it has to.
I don't have a link but I read that they didn't want us calling. That said, I know someone who has called a local airport and they were very receptive. The reg certainly doesn't say that.

I've had a coupple approved and it took about 30 days. I applied for four years' permission (the max) and it was approved without a problem. I got greedy on one (curious to see what would happen) and it was denied.) I asked basically for the whole airspace except for the airport. On one, I asked for more altitude than they wanted and they capped me. No problem. Went through just fine otherwise.

It seems like the FAA doesn't want us talking to the airports directly. The waiver is for a period

I don't have a link but I read that they didn't want us calling. That said, I know someone who has called a local airport and they were very receptive. The reg certainly doesn't say that.

I've had a coupple approved and it took about 30 days. I applied for four years' permission (the max) and it was approved without a problem. I got greedy on one (curious to see what would happen) and it was denied.) I asked basically for the whole airspace except for the airport. On one, I asked for more altitude than they wanted and they capped me. No problem. Went through just fine otherwise.
Read Paragraph 5.8 of the Small UAS advisory circular. There stand that the approved method of obtaining authorization is through the webpage.

Read Paragraph 5.8 of the Small UAS advisory circular. There stand that the approved method of obtaining authorization is through the webpage.
Thank you. I even checked the AC. I remembered seeing something but couldn't remember where.

It seems like the FAA doesn't want us talking to the airports directly.
For official airspace authorizations, no they do not. But trust me, whenever you're operating withing 5 NM of most staffed airfields, the airport managers normally DO want to know you're out there. You are NOT calling for authorization, merely making a responsible notification to them. They will make a note of the information you provide just in case there is an incident or problem. I always make it a point to call to provide a courtesy notification to local airfields if I'm operating within a 5 MI boundary, especially within a transition zone. Many have stopped notifying airports, confusing it with requesting an airspace authorization. If you're not in controlled airspace, they will never know you're there.
Here's a perfect example...
I completed a commercial shoot yesterday, 3 MI from the local airport (G airspace.) I called and spoke the the airport manager about an hour before I was going to start. He took down my information and was very pleasant on the phone. I advised him that I would be starting my operation at 1:45 pm <200' AGL.
At EXACTLY 1:45 pm, a Cessna 172 flew directly over my operating area at what I approximate to be 300'-400'. This was a little TOO coincidental as far as I was concerned. I had just lifted off to start my shoot, but heard the aircraft approaching and dropped down to a low hover as I made visual contact. My VOS was rather shocked to see the plane that low in that location. I honestly was not surprised and immediately had an idea of what happened.
When we were done with the shoot, I drove over to the airport to try and meet with the Manager and drop off a business card. I believe in transparency in business practices, and this was a good opportunity to meet someone face to face at this busy little airport. We had a nice conversation and I explained to him what happened. He knew exactly who the pilot was - had just taken off prior to that time. Without directly saying it, we agreed that the pilot was being 'nosey' over my operating location on his 'very slow altitude climb.' The pilot must have been standing in the terminal building when I called and overheard the conversation (small-town style.) The point of my visit was not to '*****' about what had occurred, but simply verify my thought process through a friendly conversation. Curiosity.

You can come to your own conclusions about this example, but I just wanted to share it as a real world example of what can happen on any given day. This is a big part of the reason I choose transparency and the opportunity to talk to people in the aviation community about UAS. We face a stereotype of ignorant, irresponsible idiots that are crowding the skies and should take every opportunity we can to dismiss that mindset.

For official airspace authorizations, no they do not. But trust me, whenever you're operating withing 5 NM of most staffed airfields, the airport managers normally DO want to know you're out there. You are NOT calling for authorization, merely making a responsible notification to them. They will make a note of the information you provide just in case there is an incident or problem. I always make it a point to call to provide a courtesy notification to local airfields if I'm operating within a 5 MI boundary, especially within a transition zone. Many have stopped notifying airports, confusing it with requesting an airspace authorization. If you're not in controlled airspace, they will never know you're there.
Here's a perfect example....

Great example and great point. What's really frustrating is that drone pilots seem to get a bad reputation for being irresponsible, but, if you're right, that pilot was just as irresponsible and just as potentially careless. Sadly, you could never prove it unless it became a pattern but we all have a right to the airspace and you went above and beyond.

I think that's a good practice. I do think it's worth warning folks that an airport manager can't give you clearance into controlled airspace (or deny you.) However, you're absolutely right, it's a great practice to be a good neighbor and to have those relationships. A friend of mine was also able to leverage a similar call to get the tower to give permission for a last minute shoot in their airspace. The manager was very helpful and appreciative that he called.

Reactions: AerialZ

You are correct; later on, a good while back, I did find that of course is true.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj