107.41 Waiver for Class D

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking into trying to get permission to fly in my local Class D airspace. I have read a lot about the distinctions between the waiver and authorization and think a waiver would be the best way to do it.

My main questions are, if I want to be able to do real estate video and photography with no defined launch point as it will change depending on the location of the job, what lat/long should I use in the waiver application as well as radius? I would like to get approved to operate within the entire Class D area (not sure if the FAA would allow it, but want to try).

I am also curious to hear from others that have Class D waivers, and what they put on the application as far as safety goes, did you guys include having a radio to monitor ATC and things of that sort?

Any input or experiences you guys have had would be great!

Thanks

Have you attempted to just contact the airport and tell them what you will be doing and just coordinate that way?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I believe you want an Airspace Authorization, not a Waiver.

And after rereading you post, you want a blanket authorization within an entire Class D. My guess is that you won't get it. This would likely require a Waiver since an Authorization certainly wouldn't be granted with the stipulations you want. A Waiver is likely your only choice but I just can't see the FAA approving it with such a broad set of needs.

Assuming you have just your FAA sUAS Remote Pilot certificate, I think you may be over-reaching with a blanket waiver for a specific Class D, however you may more successful requesting airspace authorizations using a more surgical approach.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm also dealing with ten mile Class E to the surface extension as well. I recently submitted six airspace requests within my Class D and Class E. I used Google Earth using a Class B,C,D,E overlay KML, to pin- point center Lat-Long's for each request. Each request was for 2-3nm radius (which is the max) and I kept the specific centers away from each other to avoid overlaps and avoiding the airfield itself (the hassles with unlocking DJI restricted areas aren't worth it.) I only asked for 200 AGL, and I asked for them to expire Valentine's Day 2019 -less than two years out-.

With regard to your second question, put yourself in the shoes of the approving ATC, what would concern him or her, and how do you plan to mitigate those concerns? I wouldn't insult their intelligence blathering on and on about following Part 107 rules, that's a given, you're licensed, you will, so talk to the specific airspace concerns. It will show that you've done your homework. Will you be monitoring the radio, which frequency, including local helicopter medical or news frequencies, will you be planning and monitoring FlightAware.com for inbound outbound traffic , etc.? How long will your flights be?

I speak only as fellow certificated sUAS Remote Pilot, who has received a successful airspace authorization for a specific job. That said 90 days turnaround is unworkable in almost every use, so to have COAs in our back pocket for upcoming jobs is what we need to cope with day to day business needs.

Safe flights, and good landings

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think your only option is to apply for a waiver using the waiver portal. You should pay close attention to the listed Performance Based Standards listed for each rule that you can apply to waive. I was successful in obtaining a night waiver. I haven't tried for a blanket controlled airspace waiver. I WAS successful getting an emergency COA to operate in Class C airspace as close as 1/2 mile from the primary airport. I worked with FAA in DC and it was granted in a matter of hours. This was to support a public safety request so it received special attention. My point is, it is definitely workable to operate within controlled airspace within the NAS. In my case, while I had the capability to monitor (and tx on ATC freqs), it wasn't required by the COA. All I had to do was contact the TRACON and let them know I was airborne and when I was done. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks for the input. So, as I understand all of this, an authorization is a one time thing whereas the waiver would be for a longer period of time covering multiple flights. Is that correct?

If so, has anyone been successful in obtaining waivers (not authorizations) for Class D? If so, what stipulations did you get or put on your application?

I am very familiar with the airspace and the area as I am also a rated commercial pilot and CFI. I am just curious how successful applying for these waivers is given the current rule set and the way the FAA is doing things. I am more than happy to apply for authorizations, but the turn around times make it unworkable since most real estate listings around here are currently being sold in under a month.

I am guessing I could get by just fine with under 100ft AGL, and less than 1/4 mile around the property. My only questions about this part in regards to the waiver is I don't necessarily know my launch location to put on the application for the waiver - and in that case should I just draw out segments over the town and apply that way with the center points being the lat/long I use? Or do they want the lat/long to be the launch point of the drone? By Robert's reply above, this looks like the best option?

Thanks!

I'm doing the exact same thing. I just filed for a waiver to operate in a surface delta for a year with a 2 mile radius. It seems like a lot to ask for my first request, but I went for it. We will see...

Update... I didn't ask for a Class D waiver,, but yesterday I did receive one of my "surgical airspace authorization" requests (see my previous post.)

This was to enable me to do some Dronebase missions in my home town, which is over-layed by a Class D airspace. I submitted my request back on 2/14, I asked for up to 150 AGL, with a 2-3nm Radius, with a geo-center being about 3mi to the SW of the airfield. Two days ago I got a telephone call from the FAA approver, and he asked me what I was doing and looking for, I told him, and he said he could only give me 100 AGL (I tried to negotiate it up 125 AGL, but he said then I would always have to call the tower), and instead of my geocenter, he used a Google earth type map grid to give me everything in the Class D South of N 40d 49'. Since that was my primary target area of interest I said that would be fine. He was very nice, but from our casual conversation, I don't think anybody except Sully is going to get a blanket airspace waiver.

The next day, I received an email with COA pdf showing the airspace and grid. One other thing, I asked originally for the authorization to start 3/6/2017 and go untill 2/14 2019. They gave me 3/20/2017 until 9/30/2017. Wow, you'd think they would want to hear from me again so soon.

Safe flights, and happy landings everyone

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
Another update, I received some authorizations based on my surgical airspace requests in Class D and E to surface airspaces. They responding after five weeks. Usually there's a phone call from the initial reviewer. After the conversation the authorization come back with an attached Google Earth map gridded showing the areas you good to go with. Some had instructions to call the tower (w telephone number.)

So it looks like they really need to revamp the online application form because it's driven by a polar coordinate system (LatLong geo center and radius) when it should be driven by the similar grid squares the authorization will be granted.

Also I asked for two years, but got six months. Should be interesting to see what kind of renewal process they put in place this fall.

I haven't heard of anyone getting "waivers" and not holding my breath for it either. [emoji41]

I have an unordinary waiver too.

I asked for and received a kind of 1/2 moon shaped area south of PDX in class C. I just explained that a radius wouldn't work and I wanted to fly all over south of PDX and that would require several authorizations. I still choose a center point just so all the fields were filled in. I too asked for 2 years and got 5 months @ 100'.

Yes people are getting their Waivers you're just not seeing them here. Also Authorizations are for 6 months or less and Waivers for extended periods of time depending on the request.

If you look at the "Waivers Granted" website don't let it fool you. It's not an automated system and has to be manually populated and that has not happened since late January. Rest assured many waivers (Airspace and others) are being granted but Waivers take a lot more time to get processed.

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
Hi BigAl07, I am having a hard time imagining how they can waiver off someone from the controlled airspace rule, except if the applicant was the controlling airport authority itself.

Have you actually seen one of these airspace waivers or know for sure someone who has been issued one? (Which may have been the OP's query?)

So you are not required to complete all the information when completing the waiver of authorization. I cometed one for night flight and left several areas of my waiver black, lime where I would be flying as this changes based on the flight needed. Best of luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues