1.4 or 1.6

You are correct there was no battery update included with 1.5. It was the firmware itself that introduced the battery shutdown issue, likely due to incorrectly reading the battery voltage. It was with the introduction of 1.5 that the rash of mid-flight battery shutdown reports began. 1.6 altered the aircraft & battery firmware to help alleviate the problem, but the real "fix" is just the band-aid solution of limiting thrust. If you are running 1.4 or earlier you aren't going to experience mid-air battery shutdown issues.

For doubters of reduced performance with 1.6:

What’s New: 1. In cold environments, propulsion output is automatically adjusted based on battery temperature and cell voltage. Horizontal and vertical speed is also decreased to avoid triggering battery protection.

Release notes from 1.6:
What’s New: 1. In cold environments, propulsion output is automatically adjusted based on battery temperature and cell voltage. Horizontal and vertical speed is also decreased to avoid triggering battery protection.

Release notes from 1.5:
a. Fixes is the drifting issues some people were experiencing. Your P3 should be steady as a rock again now
b. Fixed upgrade issues related to the camera.
c. Plauback issues resolved.
d. The Flight Recorder logs are no READ ONLY.
e. Fixed P3P no live feed issue some users experienced ( even though OSD data was shown ).
4.There is NO RC firmware included in this release. But iyuor RCfirmware is older than v1.3.20, it is recomended t upgrade this to v1.3.20 before updating the Aircraft to 1.5.00.30.
5. There is NO battery update included in this firmware version.
The DJI GO All will display the Aircraft firmware as 1.4.10+ after the update is completed sucessfully.

1.5 was not a battery update. So I don't see how it could have created a problem with the batteries that 1.6 needed to correct by updating the batteries. The problem really happens when it's cold outside so this problem only showed up once winter rolled around.

So I'd _HIGHLY_ recommend people upgrade to 1.6 firmware, especially if you are flying in colder weather.

You are correct there was no battery update included with 1.5. It was the firmware itself that introduced the battery shutdown issue, likely due to incorrectly reading the battery voltage. It was with the introduction of 1.5 that the rash of mid-flight battery shutdown reports began. 1.6 altered the aircraft & battery firmware to help alleviate the problem, but the real "fix" is just the band-aid solution of limiting thrust. If you are running 1.4 or earlier you aren't going to experience mid-air battery shutdown issues.

I don't know if any confirmation of this.

You are saying that 1.5 _drone part of the firmware) created an issue with the battery (it going into critical state at too high of voltage when it's cold) and the solution was to not to correct the drone firmware where the problem was created but rather to change the battery firmware?

You do mention that it seems this way as the problem did not exist prior to 1.4. I don't know that I'd agree. There were no prior widespread cold temps to really show any issues with the batteries. I think it only happened after 1.4 because cold temps rolled in with winter time.

For doubters of reduced performance with 1.6:

Frank has stated that DJI tech people told him that speed was only reduced when the battery was cold. Other people have stated this is incorrect. Your quote from DJI seems to confirm what Frank mentions. Lowering the top speed only when the battery is cold is a _good_ thing. It prevents the P3 from turning off during flight. Once the battery warms up, the drone is no longer limited. This is what the 1.6 firmware does. It's a very _good_ thing, not bad. It's why I recommend people update.

I've personally not tested it but I am about to get to 25mph in cold weather. I think my top speeds were around 33mph before the updates. Again, I'd not _tried_ to get up to speed, this was just from normal flying. However, worse case my speed has dropped to 25mph which is not bad at all. I really think if I were to test it, it would be closer to 27 or 30mph.

You are saying that 1.5 _drone part of the firmware) created an issue with the battery (it going into critical state at too high of voltage when it's cold) and the solution was to not to correct the drone firmware where the problem was created but rather to change the battery firmware?

You do mention that it seems this way as the problem did not exist prior to 1.4. I don't know that I'd agree. There were no prior widespread cold temps to really show any issues with the batteries. I think it only happened after 1.4 because cold temps rolled in with winter time.

Frank has stated that DJI tech people told him that speed was only reduced when the battery was cold. Other people have stated this is incorrect. Your quote from DJI seems to confirm what Frank mentions. Lowering the top speed only when the battery is cold is a _good_ thing. It prevents the P3 from turning off during flight. Once the battery warms up, the drone is no longer limited. This is what the 1.6 firmware does. It's a very _good_ thing, not bad. It's why I recommend people update.

I've personally not tested it but I am about to get to 25mph in cold weather. I think my top speeds were around 33mph before the updates. Again, I'd not _tried_ to get up to speed, this was just from normal flying. However, worse case my speed has dropped to 25mph which is not bad at all. I really think if I were to test it, it would be closer to 27 or 30mph.
Here is a good explanation from @John Locke in one of the other threads about "1.4 or 1.6"

80 to 90% battery level takeoff is triggering outrage | Page 4 | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: JoBe
What you mention about no cold temps until 1.5 is certainly a possibility, however, I imagine there to be a substantial number of P3 pilots still running 1.4 & below through these cold months. I have not noticed continued reports of battery shutdowns from users running pre-1.5 firmware.

I would say reducing horizontal speed from 35mph to 25mph is a significant performance & range hit, as is cutting the climb rate nearly in half (11 m/s down to 5-6 m/s from what I have read).

There is no right or wrong answer here without further data. For those who are comfortable running 1.6 that is fine. I am old school & believe if the aircraft is performing well just leave things be. So far mine is performing perfectly with 1.4 so I'm happy. I have all the IOC features, the 2.7K video option, & I am not experiencing the drift issues reported by some 1.4 users. Heck I still run WIndows 7 & the 3.00 (the original!) firmware on my Vision+! ;)

The real problem I feel is DJI has set it up where you can't go back to 1.4 once you migrate to 1.6. I hate to see new pilots encouraged to jump immediately to 1.6 without first flying with 1.3 or 1.4, as well as the fact that they can't get back. This is the same tact DJI took with the Vision+ firmware. No way back.

Whether you chose 1.4 or 1.6 I would definitely get off of 1.5. My understanding on the 1.5 issue is, as long as you make sure your batteries are fully charged (as within the past 24 hours), you should be OK. I would roll back to 1.4 but that's just my preference others will advise going to 1.6.

Dirty Bird: I have 1.5.30 (P3P aircraft) and live I Norway with cold weather. Should I take it back to 1.4 to avoid battery problem and have a little longer range?

Dirty Bird: I have 1.5.30 (P3P aircraft) and live I Norway with cold weather. Should I take it back to 1.4 to avoid battery problem and have a little longer range?

Bid,

I'm with Dirty Bird on this one. Roll back to 1.4. JMHO.

Jerry

I will try that, is it necessary to do it with RC to? (1.5.70)

Bid,

I'd probably leave your RC where it is. I made the mistake of updating to 1.5 on the AC and RC, I immediately downgraded the AC to 1.4 but left the RC on 1.5. So far no issues but I'd probably leave it alone for now. JMHO.

Jerry

Reactions: Bidda
Can you use the latest version of litchi with 1.4?

Wib,

Litchi told me I could because they haven't put out a new version with the new SDK yet. I decided to just lock in where I am, at v2.6.6. Everything I need is working just fine in that version. I won't be updating anything until DJI cleans up the mess they've created. Of course, just my opinion.

Jerry

Reactions: Wibble
So 1.4.10+ is actually 1.5
I have only flown my new advanced once so I better go up to 1.6 or down to 1.4.
I checked nfz in my area and there are none.

Wib,

Litchi told me I could because they haven't put out a new version with the new SDK yet. I decided to just lock in where I am, at v2.6.6. Everything I need is working just fine in that version. I won't be updating anything until DJI cleans up the mess they've created. Of course, just my opinion.

Jerry

Is that the Litchi version 2.6.6? And is it still available?

1.5 was not a battery update. So I don't see how it could have created a problem with the batteries that 1.6 needed to correct by updating the batteries. The problem really happens when it's cold outside so this problem only showed up once winter rolled around.
Not exactly. There were reports of sudden power shutdown in mild weather too. Cold weather contributes to the issue, because voltages fluctuate a little more when starting out with a cold battery. If you don't let the battery get cold before launch, it's not so much of an issue.

The primary 1.5 problem was in the phantom firmware misreading voltage levels from the battery. The 1.5 problem was not in the battery firmware. However now the 1.6 battery firmware supports throttling, limiting high current drain (full throttle) at low battery levels, starting at around when there is 30% battery left.

So they fixed the voltage misreadings in the phantom firmware with the 1.6 release, but they also included throttling in the battery firmware to help in cold environments where pilots let their battery get cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtrjr
I'm on 1.6 don't have a single problem at all. No crazy NFZ's or anything that could remotely be considered a hindrance.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

If I was on 1.5 and was unsure about which direction to go I would go to 1.4...You can always go forward.

Myself...I updated immediately.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20