Zinger 8x5 props and phantom nuts

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday I tried the Zinger 8x5 props. I used the nuts delivered with the Phantom and fixed them with the supplied prop wrench. I tied them down with as much force as possible. On a first test, all went well. On landing, I had a tip-over due to a not very even landing surface and 2 props touched to ground while running. I wanted to do a second takeoff, however on this one, the nut of one of the props (a pusher) that touched the ground became loose and the prop has flown away. By chance, I was only at 1 feet of height, so no damage. Until now I used the standard props. I always checked to nuts before I starting flying, but I think this is not a good practice, I have to check them before every takeoff, so I would attribute this to a user error. I think with stock props probably the fact that the nuts come loose is less likely due to the special shape of the mounting hole, transmitting the force to the motor in case of a prop touching the ground, whereas round holes transmit also force on the nut in this case which result in loosening of them.

However as I don't want this to happen in flight (with nut checks before every takeoff now), I would be interested to know from persons using Zinger props if they use the nuts delivered with the Phantom and had any problems with them loosening while flying or if they use other nuts ? Also can the standard Phantom nuts be ordered somewhere or are they only delivered with new motors.

Thanks in advance

Zinger 8x5 is wood so it gives a little when compressed by the nut. Then later the nut may come loose a little, especially when the prop hit the ground in particular the clockwise one!
You have a few alternatives:
1. Use Loctite tape: http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Threadloc ... B004DOJSCK
2. Use nylon lock nuts.

I don't suggest the washer because it only reduce the thread amount on the shaft that come into contact with the nut unless you use the low profile prop hub that need the washer so that the nut will be tight or else the bottom of the nut will hit the shoulder of the 8 mm bottom section of the shaft.

Below are some of the nuts that I use:

L1120288Small_zpsee4b8a59.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan