Zenmuse Dead?

Reaction score
I got home today and went to get some flight time in, i powered up the phantom and and the gimbal leveled off as it normally does. Then it begins to hum, if the phantom tilts it was fine but as soon as it levels off it would hum again. I powered it down a few times and now its seems to e completely unresponsive. It sits loose, the gopro itself is still powered, but the gimbals never activate?

Not good! :( Sorry to hear that. I suppose you can take some comfort, though ... however small ... from the fact that you're not alone. Might be some strength in numbers ... ie. if enough people post their problems here and elsewhere, DJI might sit up and take notice! I'm wondering how many more cases like yours are going to turn up once all those people out there ( like myself) do an install once they can get their hands on the PMU-V2. I don't even know when the PMU-V2 is going to be available! Received my gimbal in the mail today, but without the PMU-V2 it's just sitting there useless.

Yes... just to join this all up, my own similar saga with the gimbal is posted under "Real World Zenmuse": http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1332

See my Phantom in action and inaction here: https://vimeo.com/69872108

I make that FOUR people I'm aware of now with a similar problem.... :cry:
1) Myself: https://vimeo.com/69872108
2) My UK dealer told me yesterday of another of their customers who got their gimbal last week with a similar problem
3) Nbohol in California: https://vimeo.com/69802044
4) ...and now, you... herbie53guy

Mine was sent overnight to arrive back at the dealer today. I'm confident in their complete support... I'm less sure how quickly DJI can/will sort this.......

Over to you, DJI............

Add another to the list. Worked great on maiden flight yesterday. Powered up fine today but after a few minutes started emitting a high pitched squealing and then no response and or leveling. Smells like something electrical on behind the back gimbal cover where the 8 pin cable connects. RMA time...

Chiming in with the same issue. Meticulously and correctly installed, checked everything. Got some great video over the course of last weekend, about 40 minutes worth.

Yesterday, went to power it up and it made the loud squealing noise. Mine is still responsive, still tilts and rolls, but makes that high pitched squealing sound when the quad sits level. While it's level and making the noise, the roll motor seems to get very hot very quickly. The tilt motor stays quiet and runs cool.

Called up the dealer. They tell me it's a somewhat "common" problem and that DJI is working on a firmware fix which should be released in the coming weeks. Latest should be within the month. They also tell me this is the reason for the delay in the next batches of gimbals.

Not sure what to believe at this point but that raises a flag to me. Whether DJI really is working on a new firmware, or whether the new firmware will fix my gimbal which is already making the squealing noise.... I don't know.

Dealer says I'd have 6 months to return the gimbal if it really is defective. I can play the waiting game for the new firmware, or de-solder the whole **** thing and ship it back. That's a lot of work, but I'm tempted to do the latter right about now.

I've now had email contact from DJI in China, asking for the link to see my video.

I'm intrigued how none of this came to light during the beta testing... unless they made a change in a crucial component for the full production model???

From what I understood from the beta testing I dont think they needed the PMU with the beta. This could be the cause of the issues possibly but maybe one of the testers can chime in regarding the PMU with their beta.

Also testing was likely only a handful of units the real beta testing starts with the early adopters when a larger sample gets their hands on it. Many issues may not be found until 100's or thousands of units make it out, then even a very small unlikely issue will be exposed.

Hello guys,
Zenmuse H3D2 Gimbal dead after 5 minutes of being installed, checked and rechecked after hours of trying to make the unit work.
Screeching noises from the brushless motors followed by low pitch hums. Returning to the vendor this morning.
I feel like we were the beta testers for his product , now I will have to wait for a replacement unit.

So far DJI support only sent a very stupid reply to my support email!

I hope this problem is corrected in a timely matter and not months.

Is anyone optimistic that DJI will be any more responsive on this issue than it has been with other firmware issues, such as whatever was causing phantoms to behave badly?
Oh wait... their network of dealers will deal with it. Good luck everyone.

Yes, at the moment I am confident. I've had email contact with two DJI China guys today - they are very aware of this problem and my dealer (Heliguy in the UK) is also working on this, testing my own rig to help DJI with research into what's gone so badly wrong.

Yes, it's disappointing... yes, it's frustrating... but like I say, at the moment, I do believe this is going to get sorted for everyone.

In the meantime, here's another... exactly the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvJe16BjEiw

...plus a few more additional cases posted in the Comments under my video: https://vimeo.com/69872108

Add another dead one to the list

Installed H3-2D today...all solder connections were done by an experienced Hobby Shop tech here in town
I then did the simple connections and install
I have doubled checked and triple checked all connections...gimbal is getting power
But it Just sits limp...with a low hum...

Submitting an RMA to B&H where I bought the unit....( which is another frustrating story...received the Gimbal 2 weeks ago...but only received the PMU V2 today )

Quick update on my situation - my gimbal has been sent by my dealer to DJI Europe.

Meanwhile DJI have released a firmware update:
http://www.dji-innovations.com/dji-zenm ... -released/

What I'm still not clear about is whether the fault affecting so many gimbals lies with the software or the hardware? Was the software fundamentally flawed or did they change the hardware from the version that appeared to be successfully beta-tested just a few weeks ago?

I hope DJI come clean so that we can at least understand why we've gone through this...

I'll report back as soon as I know whether my own unit is being repaired or replaced.

Hello,

I had quite the same probleme , I got it and worked perfect
I then used a scredriver tomanually pitch trough the remote went fine....
Here it become to be interesting !
One day later my zenmuse was allways looking a little bit up
I thought this was done because I moved the pitch manually and didnt brought it back at the center point.

I ryed 100 times to bring the zenmuse at his center point trough the X1 with the scredriver put the f.... zenmuse was either looking down or up put IMPOSSIBLE to bring it at the center.
The gimball was heatinf as hell and I could here the scatching noise off the motors trying move.

The solution I found !

1. I did update the firmware of the H3-D2 (if you missed the microUSB cable, dissconnect the grey one inside your phantom and connect it to the H3D2 modul) then as for a normal update connect the other and of the usb cable to your computer and make the firmare update ... dont forget to reconnect the grey micro usb to your main unit

2. open the NAZA_M V2 calibration software
go under BASIC/RC and on the top right you can RECALIBRATE THE X1 !!!!!!

After recalibrating, my zenmuse went back in place and NO MORE scatching sound no more heating
I hope this will help !
---------------------------------------------------

I guess, playing with the X1 messed up the gimball orientation ant it then couldnt come back in place but was triying hard and finally could burn the gimball motors.

Best regards

I updated the naza firmware recently. Once I did the pitch on my gimbal went crazy! Swinging forward and back etc! I freaked out thinking its gonna burn it out, so I quickly disabled the gimbal in the software, which stopped it. I noticed the x1 calibrate so I did that and enabled the gimbal again, no problems!

I'd hate to think the naza is killing the ZM's!

Thanks to jonboy for pointing this thread out...

I have the same problem with the Zenmuse screeching and getting hot.. I installed the new v1.02 firmware last night but the problem was still there so i just recalibrated the X1 as suggested above but no joy.. After about a minute of the Phantom warming up the screeching returned and the rear motor started to get hot again..

I fear it's only a matter of time before it dies completely :(

Really sorry to hear this Wight Wings! So many people seem to be spending a lot of time on trying various permutations on this without us identifying a definitive solution.

DJI ?????????????

Same problem here. Wish I knew what the problem is. I logged about 2 hours with the H3-2D and it worked great! Now it's squealing and I am not only not using it, I'm not flying my phantom, which I flew almost every day, very bummed :cry:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic