Your Maximum Altitude

Accurately judging your height in relation to a full sized aircraft from the ground at anything more than a few hundred feet is going to be nigh on impossible. While I accept that in the wide open spaces of the US the probability of a mid air collision is minimal, in the UKs congested airspace relying on the fact that you are in class G airspace to keep you safe (or more to the point other aircraft safe) is pushing your luck to say the least. Recreational fixed wing private pilots seem to love the block of airspace between 500-1000ft and low level training excercises are carried out at that height, away from airfields and in class G.
All it will take is one mid air collision or possibly even just one reported near miss for more draconian regulations to be applied to recreational UAV users.

I can almost guarantee you that the FAA looks for and keeps track of high altitude and long distance flight videos. I'm fairly certain they are well on their way to publishing the sUAS Rule and these sorts of videos/threads will be the evidence they can produce when people scream bloody murder about what is in the new rule.

BTW - CAA in the UK just fined another operator:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... l&nid=2364

I tested my P2 and my F550 to 600 meters. And that is, by no means, a record. After the new software, you have to be careful about getting up too high because the descent rate is only 2 m/s unless you drop it down quickly in another mode. There are some crazy heights reached and posted here and elsewhere.

I almost lost the 550 due to a very high wind up there and the battery sliding loose and hanging by the power connector - which kept getting clipped by one of the props. Ended up destroying the battery (and prop). There is a picture of it over in the 550 lounge thread. It was over the Missouri river at the time - would have been a total loss.

So... yes, it (both) exceeded the 'recommended' altitude of 400' but there was nothing in the area - not even humans on the ground... unless you count me.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

I agree and will go one further and say any of the people posting height records here have an I.Q. of 12. If the CAA or FAA want to use evidence to shut flying down they wont have to look very far and will be able to use YOUR videos and pics from our own forum to shut it all down. Assholes is all you all are. And Admins should be banning topics like this.
As the original poster I feel inclined to comment. Although I agree that flying irresponsibly high is just downright stupid and may cause all of us problems and then furthermore boasting about it and posting evidence is just crazy I do think that threads like this are positive as it alerts people who may not not be aware. There are really very few topics or threads that should be banned - that route just leads to ignorance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj