DJI, Please fix these things

Reaction score
So I wanted to create a list to of things that have been confirmed by multiple experienced pilots, issues that seem to need fixed. Please add to this list if you have noticed other things.

1. Altitude drop for no reason. This has been reported by many people. I thought I had it fixed with a sensor calibration because it went away for a while, however it has come back. I notice this when flying along and let go of the sticks. Normally in GPS mode (CA is off) the craft "should" put on the brakes and hover at the same elevation. However what happens it the craft stops and then descends 6 to 8' before it hovers steady. This occurs at any altitude, below 30' as well as above. My P3P never did this. Others have reported random descending when yawing left or right, but I haven't experienced that.

2. Random yaw. When accelerating with the right stick only (not touching the left yaw stick), as the craft starts moving forward the craft yaws left, out of the blue, in dead calm. This can be compensated for with left stick yaw counter navigation to the right, but it ruins the shot. Fortunately this seldom happens, only ~2% of the time. But of course, it happens during a critical shoot and I have to start the shot all over again. Spontaneous yaw is something I hadn't seen until P4. It's almost like it's got a mind of its own when it occurs. My P3P never did this, even in wind.

3. Only 13mph in CA mode. My top speed for CA mode is set to 22mph but it only does 13mph. Apparently only my craft has this anomaly, so this one may not need fixed if I can figure it out. Everyone else says they get over 20+mph.

4. Losing 10-15 video frames of video between files. This issue everyone knows about, confirmed it's always been this way. This happens when the video file reaches the maximum 4,203,070,762 byte file size, then starts a new file to continue recording. The loss of these 10-15 frames can ruin a job if gone unnoticed. The display gives you no warning that a new file has been created, to tip you off that you may have to redo the shot. You don't discover this until editing. An audible beep or buzz would be nice to have when the new file is created as a band-aid solution, but I would rather see the files lose no frames between files, like GoPro cameras.

5. Total Disconnects. Even though I have been able to demonstrate 15,000' distance using Windsurfter, I will often see total disconnects for several seconds with distances less than a mile over open water, with windsurfer. I have seen this happen on Ch20 as well as Ch32 and the channel is dead quiet, and I'm operating over water. I've had this occur in 3 different ocean locations, as well as flights over land. I always asume I'm causing this with my windsurfer possibly pointed in the wrong direction, but when I double check, I'm pointed correctly at the craft. I tend to get this when I'm between 40 to 75' off the water, but with clear LOS orientation to the RC. My P3P NEVER had a total disconnects flying in the same places. With P3P, sometimes at 1.5 to 2mi away I would see "weak signal" first, at which time the video could go out, but while the video isn't working I still had control of the craft which allowed me to ascend to get the video signal back. With P4 there are no warnings, the video is fine, and all of a sudden I get the red DISCONNECT notification. To me, this implies the CONTROL signal is weaker than the VIDEO signal, since it seems to total disconnect randomly with no weak video signal warning.

6. S Mode prop viewing (This is a product improvement suggestion, not a flaw). I like the option to using the mode switch to flick CA on and off, WITHOUT having to enter the app. However, flicking off CA by using S mode makes the craft controls too touchy, too fast for serious shoots. Using exponential adjustments help, but it could be better. I would prefer a method to set the top "S mode" speed with a slider bar, from 22mph up to 45mph. This would help minimize the risk of prop views during important shoots, having the ability to make P4 act more like a P3 (similar to P mode with CA off). An S mode speed limiter would allow the CA to be turned on and off with a flick of the switch to S mode, without the risk of the touchy controls in S mode.

As a result of these issues I fly my P3P when the shoot is important. I still like my P4, it's a very slick design. But there's some work to be done to sort things out IMO. I'm crossing my fingers.

Last edited:
to be truthful I haven't noticed any of these problems.
they may be there but I haven't noticed them

Most of those, if not all, sound fixable via a firmware upgrade/DJI GO App upgrade, so you may just see them fixed in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
The file splitting on sd card has always been there, at least from 1.19

I have no/0/nada faith that it will be fixed. Good luck with the others.

Thanks for highlighting those issue. Folks will at least know.

I really like the top speed limit but they could use it for all settings P, S and A... It would allow me to push right stick fully forward and hold it there for smooth motion. Throttling back S mode would surely increase flight times for those having battery issues.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't understand why they cut the video in 4G segments.

I have experienced the drop in altitude. Mainly at low altitude.

Today, while trying to get a pic of my cabin, I was flying over my pond. I wanted it to hover at about 8 or 9 feet above the water so I could fiddle with the camera, When I let go of the sticks, the P4 starting rising. There were a lot of trees around, so I didn't wait to see how far it would rise so I took control and abandoned the shot.

Additionally, when I first turn on the P4 I am unable to use auto take off. It thinks it's already 2 feet in the air. The button is in auto-land. This is before I even start the rotors!

Please include inferior battery life, and no clear recommendations on mode vs power use (there has to be s formula to find optimal setting per need).

Tilted gimbal and changing angles mid flight.

Battery overheat? In my last flight healthy drones recorded 140° + at peak, yet dji's upper limit is only 110°

Please include inferior battery life, and no clear recommendations on mode vs power use (there has to be s formula to find optimal setting per need).

Tilted gimbal and changing angles mid flight.

Battery overheat? In my last flight healthy drones recorded 140° + at peak, yet dji's upper limit is only 110°
I think it's 104F AMBIENT that's the upper limit you can fly in. Of course the battery is going to get hotter than the ambient temperature, and 110F certainly not the upper battery limit. The 140° battery temp you got is a typical max the battery temp reached, which was likely at the end of the flight. This isn't abnormal, but the coolest weather you can find to fly in that's above 70F is good. If you're in 95F temps it's wise to not be flying balls to the wall like it's 55F, it's just common sense. You'll stress the batteries over time doing that.

Last edited:
I think it's 104F AMBIENT that's the upper limit you can fly in. Of course the battery is going to get hotter than the ambient temperature, and 110F certainly not the upper battery limit. The 140° battery temp you got is a typical max the battery temp reached, which was likely at the end of the flight. This isn't abnormal, but the coolest weather you can find to fly in that's above 70F is good. I you're in 95F temps it's wise to not be flying balls to the wall like it's 55F, it's just common sense. You'll stress the batteries over time doing that.
Thanks. What about breaking the batteries in? Is anyone even doing that with the new p4s? My breaking in includes the first 10 chargers split between 50-60% 30-40%... I hope that's good enough cause I can't do the next 30 flights til 50%.

Have not see these issues but I have experimented with hover and found that if you set it up at 10ft hover and just leave there over then next couple of minutes to will slowly decent to barely a foot or two and the altitude still reads 6-7ft. I can get it to do that consistently

Inconsistent altitude ruins nearly every shot as it yoyo's up and down!
Was filming some surfers and adjusting some settings while hovering and it descended on it's own and nearly ended up in the ocean. Yoyo can be up to 10 metres!

Reactions: AsiaFlyer
Anybody noticed hard braking when executing sharp turns in waypoint mode, seems to tilt back then forward to the extent that the props show in the video.

And also in Active Track you used to be able to focus on a subject and use the right stick to move the AC left or right and the AC would automatically yaw the AC to keep the subject centered now the AC won't yaw until you center the right stick then it will yaw and center the subject in the center of the screen.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call this a correction but I'd like to see the motors connected to some type of an inner frame rail so that we don't have to deal with cracks.

I agree with the alt drop, and video drop outs and as for the random yaw I noticed this a few days ago, when I look at the craft it's almost crabbing through the air,

I really hope they fix these issues else I'm seriously gonna regret buying this over a p3p

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers