Yes, A Hobbyists CAN Sell a Picture

Lots of people think they can side-step the law. But when they're caught, they find out otherwise.....and instantly regret thinking that they were being "smart". Lame excuses are seen as just that by the authorities; they hear them every day from people trying it on. Ignorance is not any kind of defence against prosecution.

If you sell one photograph that was genuinely taken as a hobbyist, fine. But sell two or more and there's evidence of a pattern.

I find reading the charts to be the most challenging. And least beneficial!
I find the least befenicial the part where they teach yoy the signs around a landing strip. When was the last time you had to stop your drone at a taxiway waiting for the go ahead from CT for takeoff?

I find the least befenicial the part where they teach yoy the signs around a landing strip. When was the last time you had to stop your drone at a taxiway waiting for the go ahead from CT for takeoff?

Keep in mind that sUAS are much more than just our <3lb Phantoms. Some sUAS do operate around and ON airport property and in areas where runway markers & signage do come into play. Don't fall down the rabbit hole thinking our Phantoms are the only people Part 107 is written to address. Think BIG picture here.

In addition to what BigA107 said, many future pilots will be introduced into aviation through the sUAS platform and runway incursions is a top priority for the FAA.

AOPA's UAS Policy Position - AOPA

Fact Sheet – Runway Safety

Reactions: BigAl07
Let's give an example of a Real World scenario where you need to know Runway Markers:

You have a job flying next to an active runway (we did recently for a mock Jet Crash at KAVL). Your COA states, " Cleared to fly up 75' AGL on Northern end of Runway 34L but do not cross the threshold for Taxiway LIMA."

If you did not known what runway markings are or how to interpret them how will you be able to operate on/near an airport safely?

Let's give an example of a Real World scenario where you need to know Runway Markers:

You have a job flying next to an active runway (we did recently for a mock Jet Crash at KAVL). Your COA states, " Cleared to fly up 75' AGL on Northern end of Runway 34L but do not cross the threshold for Taxiway LIMA."

If you did not known what runway markings are or how to interpret them how will you be able to operate on/near an airport safely?
Good point, I would think if you're going to do a job like that in pre planning you would certainly know to have that information in front of you. Like an airfield diagram in BIG print.

Good point, I would think if you're going to do a job like that in pre planning you would certainly know to have that information in front of you. Like an airfield diagram in BIG print.

Of course. Well not big print but clearly legible. But you still have to know what the markings mean even with the map. Well said @trcsmith

Remember Part 107 is for a wide range of aircraft and applications well outside of Phantoms/Mavics doing Real Estate shoots.

Reactions: trcsmith
Of course. Well not big print but clearly legible. But you still have to know what the markings mean even with the map. Well said @trcsmith

Remember Part 107 is for a wide range of aircraft and applications well outside of Phantoms/Mavics doing Real Estate shoots.
Yes sir, We do have a lot of pilots with different certification and ratings Part 61 and part 141. So there is a lot of people to answer questions for operators wanting part 107 help.

If you did this, because of the other thread, his intent was to do the survey for the friend.

If you are doing a survey for a friend, whether or not payment was exchanged, value was exchanged. If you exchange value, you should be a licensed Remote Pilot in Control under the FAA guideline.

If you are doing a survey for a friend, whether or not payment was exchanged, value was exchanged. If you exchange value, you should be a licensed Remote Pilot in Control under the FAA guideline.
Yes, this was established in the other thread.

"If the original intent of the hobbyists was for fun,
then YES he/she can legally sell the pic."

A hobbyist takes a new aerial photo every day FOR FUN.
Different locations, different subjects.
Six months later, hobbyist learns about an art fair event.
Hobbyist decides to make his aerials into 16'x20" prints
& rents booth at art fair & offer them for sale FOR FUN
of finding out if prints will sell -- & they do sell well...
Hobbyists continues hobby of daily aerials FOR FUN.
Hobbyists learns, over time, about other art fairs &
decides to again rent booths & sell prints FOR FUN
because hobbyist enjoys meeting other artists
when hobbyist is treated like a fellow artist.

When specifically, if ever, did legal selling
become illegal selling...?

The second print sold at the first fair?
The first print sold at the second fair?
Never???

(don't get hung up on specifics of my description,
if necessary, modify them in way that allows hobbyist
to continue BOTH FUN activities with hobbyist license...)

Instead of art fairs, local newspaper learns of hobbyist.
Once a week newspaper calls hobbyist to ask if hobbyist
has aerial of a specific subject already, never asks hobbyist
to take a specific subject. Sometimes the hobbyist has the
subject & gets paid for use of that image -- let's say it happens
this way once a month. Hobbyist continues to take a new
daily aerial FOR FUN...

Hobbyist through these scenarios thinks of them-self as
a hobbyist with a hobbyist $5 license...

Last edited:
Your friend can pay you gasoline for going to him. Yu just need to be far enough.

This thought just occurred to me because of this thread. I am a "hobbyist" watercolor painter. I will occasionally do commissions of people's homes here on the lake. Some of these homes are difficult to get a good angle on from the water, so I use my P4 to do it. I have also painted and sold other paintings having used some drone pix as reference material. Is this counter to the intent of the guidance? I already hold a private pilots license, though it is not current, so getting a part 107 ticket shouldn't be that difficult, but it is a time commitment I just haven't made yet.

Technically if it furthers commercial endeavors your not flying as a hobbyist. This isn’t that difficult but many look for that loophole.
As a licensed pilot, last I looked into it, it is an online test for your P-107.

Technically if it furthers commercial endeavors your not flying as a hobbyist. This isn’t that difficult but many look for that loophole.
As a licensed pilot, last I looked into it, it is an online test for your P-107.
Yes you can share expenses. The share is what's important, and buy a meal.

Yes you can share expenses. The share is what's important, and buy a meal.

I believe you're equating a Private Pilot Licensee with a Commercial Drone Operator.

There are no sharing provisions for a Part 107 operator.

You're either flying for fun or profit.
NO in between.

If I missed your referenced to a PPL, OK. Otherwise please post or cite your reference for P-107.

This thought just occurred to me because of this thread. I am a "hobbyist" watercolor painter. I will occasionally do commissions of people's homes here on the lake. Some of these homes are difficult to get a good angle on from the water, so I use my P4 to do it. I have also painted and sold other paintings having used some drone pix as reference material. Is this counter to the intent of the guidance?
There are folks here that take this much, much more seriously that the FAA ever has.
Paint from aerial photos quite legally taken and the FAA really won't care at all.

Considering that the FAA hasn't prosecuted anyone for selling photos, scenarios like this one really aren't worth worrying about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1