Yes, A Hobbyists CAN Sell a Picture

Reaction score
According to the Knowbeforeyoufly.org
If the original intent of the hobbyists was for fun, then YES he/she can legally sell the pic.
Don’t take my word for it, read it for yourself from their link to FAQ’s
IMG_0427.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions | Know Before You Fly

Yes. It’s all about the intention of the flight.
This has been the consensus for quite awhile since 107 was created.

hypothetical … You film a wedding for free but accept donations ?

neither this isn't anything I have done , just wondering if you could without 107

I would think that as long as you are not advertising or practicing as a drone pilot service, you can do anything you want with your photos or videos.

If someone asks you to film and the assumption or hope is that you will get paid (as in donations), you are doing it commercially. No different than when a company hopes consumers will buy their products. But if you film the wedding for fun, and then the bride and groom see the video and ask if they can buy it, you can sell the video you originally took for fun to them for a price. Dumb rules, I agree. Depends on the original intent of the flight. Obviously a huge grey area in this type of thing with a loop-hole you could drive a bus through.

So if the advertising came in the form of word of mouth from others would that be ok.
No because you would basically be running an underground business. Kinda like a backyard mechanic who does not have a license. On the other hand, if you fixed or built a car, no one can stop you from selling it.

Reactions: skymonkey
If someone asks you to film and the assumption or hope is that you will get paid (as in donations), you are doing it commercially. No different than when a company hopes consumers will buy their products. But if you film the wedding for fun, and then the bride and groom see the video and ask if they can buy it, you can sell the video you originally took for fun to them for a price. Dumb rules, I agree. Depends on the original intent of the flight. Obviously a huge grey area in this type of thing with a loop-hole you could drive a bus through.
I couldn't charge newlyweds .

how hard is 107?
The material and test are not hard. If it's something you've never been around then you'll need to spend more time studying. I tell people this:

Taking your RPIC test is like taking a test for a foreign language. If you're familiar with it already you just study to get up to speed and you'll do fine. If you've never had a single lesson in THAT language you have no chance of passing the test because the subject matter will be foreign to you.

Many people study for a couple of weeks and pass it the first time.

I can tell you for sure it's a LESS than a Full Aircraft Pilot's License.... Back before 2016 we had to have a Pilot's License but after August 2016 it became many MANY times easier.

hypothetical … You film a wedding for free but accept donations ?

Are you asking if you would get away with such a transparently obvious attempt to circumvent Part 107 (probably yes, at least if you don't make a habit of it) or whether it would be legal under Part 101 (no - obviously not)?

The material and test are not hard. If it's something you've never been around then you'll need to spend more time studying. I tell people this:

Taking your RPIC test is like taking a test for a foreign language. If you're familiar with it already you just study to get up to speed and you'll do fine. If you've never had a single lesson in THAT language you have no chance of passing the test because the subject matter will be foreign to you.

I can tell you for sure it's a LESS than a Full Aircraft Pilot's License.... Back before 2016 we had to have a Pilot's License but after August 2016 it became many MANY times easier.
I find reading the charts to be the most challenging. And least beneficial!

Reactions: Tyger
I find reading the charts to be the most challenging. And least beneficial!

I can see your point.

If you only fly in areas that are "easy" in terms of airspace etc I can fully see where reading charts seems un-beneficial. Just imagine if you lived in an area with over lapping airports, Airspace that changes with times of the day, and you want to work in those overlapping areas. Being able to read and UNDERSTAND the charts makes all the difference in the world.

I can see your point.

If you only fly in areas that are "easy" in terms of airspace etc I can fully see where reading charts seems un-beneficial. Just imagine if you lived in an area with over lapping airports, Airspace that changes with times of the day, and you want to work in those overlapping areas. Being able to read and UNDERSTAND the charts makes all the difference in the world.

Totally agree with you BigA107, here in south Florida there is nothing but overlapping airspace. The charts all full of information that will keep you safe. Yes, it’s a lot to digest but knowing and understanding all the information on there will definitely make you more confident operating in the NAS along with the FAR’s. When I use to fly part 91 the FAR’s was my bible.
Getting an instrument rating meant you also had to learn all information in the IFR charts.
For anyone interested in understanding charts here is the link https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...ts/aero_guide/media/editions/cug-complete.pdf

Thanks for your thoughtful reply . im just having fun with it for now , but I do see more and more jobs for drones . I could see myself enjoying this well into my retirement

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94