Yaw in ATT mode?

Reaction score
Haven’t purchased a Phantom yet, but have been watching the DJI’s instructional videos and the first question I have (among many to come) is: If you’re in the (non GPS) ATT mode and you yaw right or left and then center the control stick, will it continue to rotate which would require you to counter-correct to stop the spin? I didn’t see that specifically addressed in any video or maybe I missed it.

Great, thanks---that clears up that question and it makes sense because of the two counter-rotating props. I guess they are responsible for that maneuver.

The Naza inside the Phantom will correct any yaw drift after you release the sticks in Atti mode. It gets it's cue from the compass.

Basically Atti mode will maintain a stable and level flight (with no yaw) after you release the sticks BUT it will not maintain position in the sky so it will drift in the direction it was travelling when you released the sticks or it will drift in the direction of the wind if there is any.
GPS mode will of course hold your position in the sky as soon as you release the sticks. It basically 'puts the brakes on' whereas Att will 'coast'

Both Atti and GPS mode will hold your yaw position once the sticks are released.

Hope that make sense

Im pretty sure yaw hold is controlled only by the yaw gain setting and nothing to do with compass, the compass is used only in gps assisted modes and this does adjusts yaw to correct for wind drift. If your gains are set correctly then centering the yaw stick will hold its rotation in all modes including manual mode.

The naza still has atti mode even if a multi doesnt have a gps or compass unit installed so this should confirm the compass is only used for IOC modes, GPS mode and rth.

In ATTI mode the NAZA works as a gyro to self level the craft, it wont stop the current momentum or wind effects but it will auto level and keep drifting in whatever direction it was moving or the wind was drifting it. In GPS mode letting go of the stick will not auto level but pitch in any direction it needs to to hold position.

In manual mode letting go of the sticks will keep the phantom pitched at whatever angle it was at and the NAZA has no self leveling or position hold. In all modes though centering the sticks will not continue to pitch quad so this also applies to yaw rotation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31