XT Flyer "crashproof" drone now on KS

Reaction score
Hello again everyone!

If you remember the XT Flyer drone I talked about some time ago on here, it turns out the company making them is stepping up their game. They just started a Kickstarter a few days ago and seem to have some of a following on social media. Anyone thinking about getting their hands on one of them?

XT Flyer. A drone has never been this safe. by Advanced Aerodynamics, LLC — Kickstarter

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'll wait until it is real world tested.
There was a promotional video put out this spring that had me believe the "Smartest Drone Ever" was about to be released. It was labeled a "SmartDrone" and we were told that even a Baboon could fly it.
Real world testing showed that none of that is true. I've become cynical since.

Well if you look at the video, it seems like they do have a working model and it most definitely works as far as hitting itself against bumps with no issues. I get what you're saying though, especially given the status of the industry right now.

They also just released a graphic talking a little bit about their follow me function. Makes sense for them to talk about it since hitting an object in the way even at low speeds would be catastrophic for a low speed design.

Attachments

• 12186269_487023798133136_2393472451866577157_o.jpg
    12186269_487023798133136_2393472451866577157_o.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 509
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Almost none of these crowd funded quadcopter projects has ever shipped anything. The few that did have not lived up to their promises. Don't waste your money. You can make a cage for your Phantom an have the same thing.

How would you make a cage for a Phantom? It would likely require serious re-engineering work. Also this design can self-right, if you look at the website or Kickstarter video. I know some of these projects aren't able to ship but by the same token, they depend on people's support in order to work.

How would you make a cage for a Phantom? It would likely require serious re-engineering work. Also this design can self-right, if you look at the website or Kickstarter video. I know some of these projects aren't able to ship but by the same token, they depend on people's support in order to work.
I am a retired engineer so it seems trivially easy to me. You could copy what they have done or just add some plastic hoops over the top of the Phantom and attach them to the prop guards, As with the prop guards, these would add weight and reduce performance.
It appears that they have pretty small motors. They do not have a gimbal and they are using 3 bladed props which are nearly impossible to balance. any video from this would be awful. I would not invest in this until it is proven to work. There have been several designs in the past of quads with protective hoops around them. There was also one with shrouded props. It was called safeflight: Fully Protected Props -- Safeflight Copters SFC4410 Quad Airframe - RC Groups

There is a list and discussion of crowd funded multirotors at rcgroups. Some have raised millions of dollars. Most have delivered nothing.
Crowd funded Multirotors - RC Groups

I won't ever kickstarter nothing against since I was stupid enuff to fund Starcitizen. You are simply gifting your money to other people.

It is kind of a gamble, but I don't think this one is too much of gamble. Certainly a good deal given the fact you get VR goggles with the purchase of $299.

I was watching updates from CES this year, and I saw the XT flyer in this video:
Video Detail

The XT Flyer Mini is also available to buy now from Amazon. It looks like they're pushing it out while they finish up the larger XT Flyer
Amazon.com: XT FLYER Self-Righting 4CH Channel RC Quadcopter 6 Axis Helicopter Toys Gyro 360 Degree Eversion 2.4GHz Remote Control Drone with LED Flashing Lights & Blade Protector-Orange+Black: Toys & Games

And how is that different from this?

Amazon.com: Hubsan X4 H107L 2.4GHz 4CH RC Quadcopter with LED Lights RTF, Black/Silver: Toys & Games

It looks like the Hubsan only has a prop guard, the XT Flyer has a roll cage, so if it lands upside down or on the side it can roll back over to upright position.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers