Xoar Beachwood precision props

Only downside is if they get wet or damp they are ruined and are not verry flexable so rule out a case with prop holders.

Only downside is if they get wet or damp they are ruined and are not verry flexable so rule out a case with prop holders.

?? Wood props such as these are Lacquered and moisture doesn't enter unless you want to leave in a bucket for a month !

We fly all sorts of wood props ... Turnigy / Xoar / Aerostar .... never heard of warped or ruined ..... not unusual for us to leave our Aerobatic / 3D machines out when rain shower goes through ... we hide in the cars !! We might cover fuselage to avoid water inside - but prop ??

Back to whether to use and whether its an upgrade for the P3 ?? For what ? The stock props do a marvelous job already and for a lot less money !

Really cannot see point of putting Zoar props on a Phantom.

Nigel

There is a world of difference between props/power on an airplane and a MultiRotor that has every aspect controlled by the Flight Controller (FC). With other no FC aircraft you can mix & match parts to get the results you desire (more acceleration, higher top speed, longer battery life) and we've done it for years with our planes and helicopters. When I flew "planks" I would show up at the field with one box full of props for a single plane.
Literally a couple of dozen different brands, materials, lengths, and pitches. Fly > Chang Prop > Fly > Change Prop > Fly > Change Prop and then flyyyyyyyyyyyy.
With an aircraft that "flies" solely via the propulsion system (MultiRotor and Helicopters) AND that has a FC integrated into it you have a whole other system that isn't "Tinker Friendly" except from a programming level.

The FC is programmed for a specific horizontal and vertical speed. It will do everything within it's programming to maintain flight within those parameters. So you won't see any significant performance gains like you will on a Helicopter or Airplane.

Also one lesson I learned the hard (expensive way) is that when yo strengthen a point that is designed "Weak" you transfer the energy deeper into the aircraft. Instead of bending a soft prop (or even chipping it) you now have a rigid prop and that energy will be transferred to the next weakest point. That's usually either the most difficult part in the world to find or the most expensive part to replace LOL.

I can assure you that the design and "softness" of the DJI props is not by mistake. They spend a lot of $$ on R&D to make sure the props are an efficient and reliable part of the propulsion "system".

Reactions: N017RW and RodPad
I think that's a bit unfair but general gist I agree.

If you put a more efficient set of props on the P ... then you MAY have a reduced load on your battery / FC system etc. If the power input is used better ... then the FC will detect and adjust.

Trouble is now you are using a wood prop which will not tolerate any clip or touch ... it will chip or splinter. That in itself will kill any advantage and prove expensive in replacing each time.

The DJI props may not be the most efficient - but they are the best compromise.

Like BigA107 .... I too go to the field with bag of props for my FW models ... I even change prop depending on seasonal weather on some of my models. Many don't realise it - but a Gasoline model will say thankyou for swapping pitch winter / summer ... For the Phantom ? Sorry I really do not see the point.

Nigel

Reactions: BigAl07
If we did not experiment - world would be a dull place indeed ....

Nigel

20170331_150512.jpg 20170331_150545.jpg 20170331_151353.jpg Yes! Only flown in my yard so far. They are quieter, very light, seems more responsive. I purchased the unpainted props. The wood looks great! After I fly an open area, I will update you all. Check out the pics!

Reactions: GraceIsTheKey
They come with the silver and black hub nuts. They are on correctly. Easy to mount on the wrong motor!

Xoar wooden props are very high quality and will give a crisp response somewhere in between a plastic prop and a carbon prop. My opinion is not coming from drone experience but ive used them on my 3d planes with great results. Ive run them in 13" and 20""-22" sizes all both were great performers compared plastic/carbon.

Balancing props can make a great difference as well. Even these small drone props can be improved by balancing if they are off by much. Im talking about brand new props. They should be checked right out of the box IMO. Good practice for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.