P4 Firmware Wrong No Fly Zone

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't updated the firmware for about a year or so. My regular flying field is a city-recognized RC park. Up to now I always got a warning on the screen and was able to dismiss it. Now, after this latest update, this option is not possible anymore. The drone has been rendered an expensive paper weight. Any quick and easy ways to deal with this? I live in Los Angeles.

Thank you

Can you provide coordinates of said park. I will be able to help you further.

From DJI's flysafe database it shows you are directly in the path of takeoff or landing from Van Nuys Airport. The process of unlocking here is, you need FAA written authorization first, then write [email protected] with a copy of the FAA's letter to get it unlocked. Remember to include coordinates, height, and flying radius. You can ask for permission for a whole year, before renewal.
Screenshot_20190324-133501_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yeah. I saw all this info this morning. I was hoping for some sort of a hack. I get that the guys at DJI are just following the rules. But in this case, they made a mistake. A simple hack would solve the problem much faster.

In any case, thank you for your help.

There are no hacks to circumvent this and this forum won't allow anyone to post one if there were. Your cheapest and quickest bet is to force your drone into ATTI mode by preventing the gps to get satellite lock and fly like that.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I had never used the DJI Geo-map website and wanted to see what it said about my area. The area circled is an area I'm planning to do some photograph so it was of particular interest to me. Unfortunately the DJI map conflicts with Airmap and knowing the area pretty well I'm sure the DJI map is incorrect. Airmap shows the location circled as being in the MacArthur Airport restricted area (within 5 miles of the airport) while the DJI map shows it's substantially outside the restricted area. It appears that if someone were relying on the DJI map (assuming the map is reflect the Geofencing no fly zone in the DJI app) they would be flying illegally inside the MacArthur Airport restricted area. Again, I'm not really familiar with the DJI map so maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I had never used the DJI Geo-map website and wanted to see what it said about my area. The area circled is an area I'm planning to do some photograph so it was of particular interest to me. Unfortunately the DJI map conflicts with Airmap and knowing the area pretty well I'm sure the DJI map is incorrect. Airmap shows the location circled as being in the MacArthur Airport restricted area (within 5 miles of the airport) while the DJI map shows it's substantially outside the restricted area. It appears that if someone were relying on the DJI map (assuming the map is reflect the Geofencing no fly zone in the DJI app) they would be flying illegally inside the MacArthur Airport restricted area. Again, I'm not really familiar with the DJI map so maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly.
View attachment 109896View attachment 109895
What is the ceiling of that specific place? From what I see, you will not see a plane flying in that area, since they come in at 245° (aprox) and 315° (aprox). That spot is between them. You will be able go get authorization from LAANC, rather quickly.

What is the ceiling of that specific place? From what I see, you will not see a plane flying in that area, since they come in at 245° (aprox) and 315° (aprox). That spot is between them. You will be able go get authorization from LAANC, rather quickly.

The 5 mile restricted area around the class C airspace starts at the surface.

Just verified your flying area and I got prompted for authorization, so you can fly there up to 400'.
Screenshot_20190324-170446_AirMap.jpg
Screenshot_20190324-170511_AirMap.jpg

I am aware. This is why you ask for authorization to the LAANC. So you can fly within the 5 miles radius.

I understand that. My point was the DJI app does NOT show that area as restricted airspace.

I understand that. My point was the DJI app does NOT show that area as restricted airspace.
That is because DJI's Geofencing isn't based on the FAA's circular system, but rather on Precission Hawk's Bow system. They will only cover the areas where height is restricted to below 400' and aircraft approach/depart paths.

That is because DJI's Geofencing isn't based on the FAA's circular system, but rather on Precission Hawk's Bow system. They will only cover the areas where height is restricted to below 400' and aircraft approach/depart paths.

Flight in that area is restricted down to the surface.

I disagree with you. It's a controlled airspace, not a restricted airspace.

The technical term (restricted or controlled) wasn't the point. The point was the DJI map doesn't indicate either. My understand was that the app would indicate areas where contact with ATC was required before flight, the so-called no fly zones. Is that not the case within this class C airspace?

The technical term (restricted or controlled) wasn't the point. The point was the DJI map doesn't indicate either. My understand was that the app would indicate areas where contact with ATC was required before flight, the so-called no fly zones. Is that not the case within this class C airspace?
Now I understand where you are coming from. Geofencing 2.0 is not a replacement for FAA authorization in controlled airspace. It's a way for DJI to cover their a.. due to the bad press stupid people did with their drones. When you see a news article about drones, 90% it's a Phantom model. The only app from DJI that is FAA approved for authorizations in the LAANC system is DJI Pilot (Enterprise models fly app), not DJI Go or Go 4.

In other words, if you wish to fly in an authorization or restricted zone, you need both LAANC and DJI's authorization codes.

Now I understand where you are coming from. Geofencing 2.0 is not a replacement for FAA authorization in controlled airspace. It's a way for DJI to cover their a.. due to the bad press stupid people did with their drones. When you see a news article about drones, 90% it's a Phantom model. The only app from DJI that is FAA approved for authorizations in the LAANC system is DJI Pilot (Enterprise models fly app), not DJI Go or Go 4.

In other words, if you wish to fly in an authorization or restricted zone, you need both LAANC and DJI's authorization codes.

But it would appear in this case that DJI doesn't recognize that area as an authorization zone. While I understand the DJI app is not a substitute for FAA authorization (I'm a private pilot, instrument rated with 107 pilot certification) those that rely on the accuracy of the DJI app, a reliance in part based on DJI restricting flight in certain airspace, would be misled into think that area circled is not an area where authorization is required. When DJI takes it upon themselves to restrict flight in certain areas (lockdown of a drone until they provide an authorzation code) they also take on a responsibility to do it accurately and consistently. When they assume authority to restrict flight in certain areas they should also be held accountable to do it with precision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31