Super Bowl no drone zone

Part 107 specifically mentions not flying over people that are not directly involved in the flying of your UAS, and I'm pretty sure the hobbyist guidelines have a similar guideline although I don't have access to those at the moment.

From the AMA Safety Code:

All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.

You are required to follow such a safety code to fly as a hobbyist in the United States. If you don't, you are simply not authorized to fly at all.

And yes, I can cite chapter and verse, but I've done so in other threads.

It has nothing to do with flying over a crowd. It has to do with the FAA establishing a TFR over an area due to many factors such White House, Capitol, VIP visit, military installation, open air gathering of a large number of people such as an amusement part, Super Bowl, major baseball, football, or other sports game, forest fire, disaster area, etc. Many other sites can be included. Depending on the particular activity, the size is variable and is published. It is a NFZ. The TFR states how many miles diameter the NFZ is. In the case of the Super Bowl, they decided on the 34 mile radius. It has the same effect as law and don't fly there. Same as if you flew over the White House. YOU WILL BE IN DEEP TROUBLE. Homeland Security will be on you. This is NOT common sense flying, it is PROHIBITED and enforced. Not like saying your maximum is recommended to be 400 ft. It is basically LAW.

This applies to any type of aircraft from airliners, private planes, RC models. there are allowances such as piloted aircraft but you will be under IFR flight plan and have a transponder code assigned to you and must be in radio contact with the administrating agency.

Had you been up on regulations applying to flying your UAV, you should know this

Most all of us "know this". If your post was directed at me, you have no worries as I am well aware of ALL regulations pertaining to hobbiest and commercial operations. I fly as a commercial operator almost everyday. I get to fly as a hobbiest a few times a month.

Some here are not aware of ALL the regs or don't have an understanding of them. I was trying to clear the air and distinguish the differences between an opinion and a fact. Some here don't understand the difference.

While it is possible that you have a buddy who works for the FAA who shares this same personal opinion, as a whole, there is no opinion. There are guidelines.

Well, yes, I know several people who work at the FAA. Mostly ASIs who are retired career pilots that know quite a bit about what you can and cannot do with a drone. I know some aviation lawyers too. They're pretty clued up too.

The general consensus being that if you create a dangerous situation in the FAA's "opinion" which can include flying over crowds and/or too close to them, they can deem your operation to be outside of section 336 of the 2012 FMRA. That means they are then able to subject you to part 107 rules or even worse, part 141.

Well, yes, I know several people who work at the FAA. Mostly ASIs who are retired career pilots that know quite a bit about what you can and cannot do with a drone. I know some aviation lawyers too. They're pretty clued up too.

The general consensus being that if you create a dangerous situation in the FAA's "opinion" which can include flying over crowds and/or too close to them, they can deem your operation to be outside of section 336 of the 2012 FMRA. That means they are then able to subject you to part 107 rules or even worse, part 141.

Thanks for your reply.

I think it's a bit much. I happen to be just inside the outside ring, though...Like a long *** ways away from the stadium..Not even within 2 cities. Just give the Patriots the trophy and let us fly. Like we didn't know the team that cheats a different way every year was going to win... Ugh. Sorry. I wanted to fly and needed to vent

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It has nothing to do with flying over a crowd. It has to do with the FAA establishing a TFR over an area due to many factors such White House, Capitol, VIP visit, military installation, open air gathering of a large number of people such as an amusement part, Super Bowl, major baseball, football, or other sports game, forest fire, disaster area, etc. Many other sites can be included. Depending on the particular activity, the size is variable and is published. It is a NFZ. The TFR states how many miles diameter the NFZ is. In the case of the Super Bowl, they decided on the 34 mile radius. It has the same effect as law and don't fly there. Same as if you flew over the White House. YOU WILL BE IN DEEP TROUBLE. Homeland Security will be on you. This is NOT common sense flying, it is PROHIBITED and enforced. Not like saying your maximum is recommended to be 400 ft. It is basically LAW.

This applies to any type of aircraft from airliners, private planes, RC models. there are allowances such as piloted aircraft but you will be under IFR flight plan and have a transponder code assigned to you and must be in radio contact with the administrating agency.

Had you been up on regulations applying to flying your UAV, you should know this

+1. I was waiting for someone to say this. The "standard" sports TFR is for any sporting events where more than 30,000 people are present. Aircraft are not allowed within 3 miles and below 3,000 ft of the stadium. The rule has been there long before drones were a thing, but the FAA made clear that this also includes drones. See here: 4/3621 NOTAM Details. The Super Bowl is a special TFR where apparently 34.5 miles was deemed the appropriate radius of the TFR. That seems very excessive.

+1. I was waiting for someone to say this. The "standard" sports TFR is for any sporting events where more than 30,000 people are present.

Just to clarify one thing here. The sports TFR is for stadiums with at least a 30,000 people capacity. It doesn't matter how many people are actually present.

On another note........rumor has it Lady Gaga's halftime show will have a number of drones in it. Hope she got a waver to fly near the crowd [emoji6]. (sorry, had to go there)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

On another note........rumor has it Lady Gaga's halftime show will have a number of drones in it. Hope she got a waver to fly near the crowd [emoji6]. (sorry, had to go there)

NRG is a retractable roof IIRC. No way it is open during the Super Bowl, some corporate sponsor might feel a chill.

Just to clarify one thing here. The sports TFR is for stadiums with at least a 30,000 people capacity. It doesn't matter how many people are actually present.

Yes, that's a great point. Thanks for the clarification - otherwise I would have to count the number of people :)

Another important note is that the TFR starts an hour before the game and ends an hour after the game, so you could in theory fly over a stadium outside of those times. Though, I would use common sense and be careful not to annoy anyone.

So it looks like the show wasn't live after all......
To create the display, Intel Provided used a few hundred Shooting Star drones flying in sync with one another. But, as Intel has stated, their drone show during the Super Bowl was actually recorded a few days before. They cut together a pre-recorded segment with the live performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic