Wrong/inaccurate NFZ - cannot take off - what to do?

Reaction score
I've flown this spot 100 times. I flew here two hours ago!

Our stadiums are just across the street and during a game, they've got a TFR and we all know this. It shows up as a red NFZ and I cannot take off.

Cool. It's the law and I obey it.

But - when there is no game there is no TFR or NFZ.
B4UFLY doesn't show anything, FAA shows nothing, DJI go 4 latest map shows nothing, DJI website of flight restrictions shows nothing.

But I "cannot take off in a no fly zone"

cb2ba1d706863b571fca26146ab4f2d6.jpg

c091687b37e1d3b0646ad2a917321b56.jpg

That's BS and FU DJI
Lost a $800 job tonight because of this. I can't even report the error to DJI because there is no red zone to click on to report. I can't ask for a exclusion because it's not restricted. Basically, my $1400 tool was nothing more than an embarrassing brick, in front of clients.

No NFZ here:
6d765ffe125d1b5150af480ee906f838.jpg

Last edited:
So here we have a case where DJI is preventing me from taking off when it shouldn't - but there is nothing I can do about it.

What's worse, I can't plan any work. I can't look at a map to determine where it's ok to fly and where not. I can't plan a job because it worked there once. Hours later it may no longer work.

And we can no longer turn Geo off...

Reactions: K Henry
Greetings, Neighbour. I live just across the Detroit river on the Windsor side of the border.

I was al ways under the impression that NFL/MLB restrictions were 24/7. Was it Comerica Park you were trying to take off near or was it Ford Field? I know they are right next to each other but just curious which was causing the block, as Lions training camp doesn't start for a few more weeks but the Tigers are still mid-season so perhaps the timing is seasonal?

Only issue I've had taking off from in this area was a few weeks ago there was some air show that I'd never heard of going on along the Detroit River, so I was blocked due to "low flying acrobatic aircraft." .. but annoyingly I was at least a mile South of the river and the app was still complaining.

Greetings, Neighbour. I live just across the Detroit river on the Windsor side of the border.

I was al ways under the impression that NFL/MLB restrictions were 24/7. Was it Comerica Park you were trying to take off near or was it Ford Field? I know they are right next to each other but just curious which was causing the block, as Lions training camp doesn't start for a few more weeks but the Tigers are still mid-season so perhaps the timing is seasonal?

Howdy Neighbor!

Part of my complaint above is that I cannot find the claimed NFZ anywhere. No map, no website, nothing telling me what supposed NFZ was blocking the take off. As you can see from the screenshots, no NFZ circles or even warning zones anywhere.

What's weirder: I took off and flew two batteries worth from this exact spot just 4 hours prior. Turned it off at 11 pm, came back at 3 am and couldn't take off.

I'm just blocks from both stadiums.

If you're not running the latest firmware, disable nfzs through the assistant app.

Very easy to do. No cost. And as long as you don't update, it's permanent.

Google it. Tons of examples on YouTube right now. Also, at least in the USA, entirely legal.

If you're not running the latest firmware, disable nfzs through the assistant app.

Very easy to do. No cost. And as long as you don't update, it's permanent.

Google it. Tons of examples on YouTube right now. Also, at least in the USA, entirely legal.

Id bet its too late for him like it was for me. Wasnt warned about this by DJI before the update. Which there was a way to roll back to previous app version that works

Our stadiums are just across the street and during a game, they've got a TFR and we all know this. It shows up as a red NFZ and I cannot take off.

B4UFLY doesn't show anything, FAA shows nothing, DJI go 4 latest map shows nothing, DJI website of flight restrictions shows nothing.

That's BS and FU DJI
Lost a $800 job tonight because of this. I can't even report the error to DJI because there is no red zone to click on to report. I can't ask for a exclusion because it's not restricted. Basically, my $1400 tool was nothing more than an embarrassing brick, in front of clients.

No NFZ here:

You sure that warning was because of a NFZ? I have had that error before if my aircraft is on a tilt or if I was holding it... it could mean you need to calibrate the IMU that will probably fix the problem. I am just saying what that message has meant for me in the past, it may well be a NFZ but just try calibrating the sensors!!! :)

Reactions: jlrsn
You sure that warning was because of a NFZ? I have had that error before if my aircraft is on a tilt or if I was holding it... it could mean you need to calibrate the IMU that will probably fix the problem. I am just saying what that message has meant for me in the past, it may well be a NFZ but just try calibrating the sensors!!! :)

I wouldn't start tinkering with calibrating. Thats not the problem...if it were it wouldn't fly anywhere else. Its clearly a problem with DJI's ridiculous meddling with firmware and NFZ's. You will quickly see however that the DJI lapdogs will come to their defense and point out how stupid you must be for not updating firmware correctly or a host of other things you did wrong. Enjoy the new DJI experience!

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I wouldn't start tinkering with calibrating. Thats not the problem...if it were it wouldn't fly anywhere else. Its clearly a problem with DJI's ridiculous meddling with firmware and NFZ's. You will quickly see however that the DJI lapdogs will come to their defense and point out how stupid you must be for not updating firmware correctly or a host of other things you did wrong. Enjoy the new DJI experience!

I don’t know the area myself but were you taking of on a sloped area?

I logged out of my P4P+ today as a test. Can't log back on so can't really fly. Appears DJI authentication servers for the P4P+ platform are down again. Mavic is OK. Same darn issue as last weekend. My ability to fly shouldn't be based on the availability of DJIs authentication servers.

www.dji-advocacy.com Just got the site up a few days ago. Checking legal and compliance before putting in much content. Just tired of DJIs lack of communication and customer appreciation and overbearing control of the hardware.

Latest firmware and DJI go 4 iOS app, flat take off location. No compass or IMU issues. Reminder: I had JUST taken off from this area 4 hours ago, nothing changed in those 4 hours in my end.

This goes back to a post I made a year ago. NO aircraft manufacturer, ANY aircraft, should ever EVER Hard lock the pilot out of full control of his craft.
Name me any helicopter or airplane in the world that could be stuck sitting at the terminal at the airport because it was in a NFZ. Tell me of any aircraft that while it was flying would suddenly just land, NO MATTER WHAT IS BELOW because it crossed an invisible NFZ line on the ground.

Consider: anyone can fly aircraft of any kind anywhere in the world: at night, over people, over nuke plants, over the White House, buzz Area 51, land at the kremlin. Not one aircraft on the world would take control away from the pilot and force an auto landing, or percent the craft from doing those things or worse. But herr comes DJI, the world police, and take control of YOUR aircraft away from you at its whim (and I've just demonstrated that they can be wrong) and you can't do a damned thing about it. This is outright BS and this is a class action lawsuit in the works.

So here we have a case where DJI is preventing me from taking off when it shouldn't - but there is nothing I can do about it.

What's worse, I can't plan any work. I can't look at a map to determine where it's ok to fly and where not. I can't plan a job because it worked there once. Hours later it may no longer work.

And we can no longer turn Geo off...

Albert Einstein once said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result." They're STADIUMS in a red NFZ! What's so hard comprehending that? Because they don't always show up as a NFZ on your map doesn't change the fact that they're STADIUMS in a RED NFZ.

Albert Einstein once said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result." They're STADIUMS in a red NFZ! What's so hard comprehending that? Because they don't always show up as a NFZ on your map doesn't change the fact that they're STADIUMS in a RED NFZ.

Sigh... because they are NOT a NFZ, there IS a TFR that goes into affect beginning one hour before extending to one after the game played. That is the factual fact, and at the appropriate times a nice big red circle appears and is marked correctly, then it goes away at the right time. During that time I don't even try, that be wrong, and, well, insane.

However, outside that TFR time, the area covered is no longer under restriction and we have been ok to fly, been this way for years. This isn't new and it isn't because of drones. This is establish FAA protocol and the rules and I'm following the rules. DJI is incorrectly applying a "cannot take off" restriction over my aircraft. That is the issue, why are you not comprehending that accuracy matters, the facts as they factually are matter.

Last night there was no game, and no TFR (or NFZ) in effect anywhere on any map (official FAA sources). At approx 10 I was flying fine. At 3:30 suddenly I could not take off. Can you not see there was clearly an error?

That's BS and FU DJI

No NFZ here:

Hey 2 questions:

1) are you on the latest version?
2) did you try to take of ignoring the warning?

Double check the unlocking list in the Go app and make sure it's turned off. This just happened to me recently after a firmware update. I was already unlocked for a specific NFZ so whenever I fly there, I have to go turn it on. But per DJI (and they were correct), if you are flying in a non-NFZ you need to turn off the unlocking list or it will think you are in a NFZ even if you're not..

That's BS and FU DJI

No NFZ here:

5b09d8aec769e323d1d1570e9eaedd16.jpg
82b9f84865c87bf23bd0cfef97c1c124.jpg

Double check the unlocking list in the Go app and make sure it's turned off. This just happened to me recently after a firmware update. I was already unlocked for a specific NFZ so whenever I fly there, I have to go turn it on. But per DJI (and they were correct), if you are flying in a non-NFZ you need to turn off the unlocking list or it will think you are in a NFZ even if you're not..

What do you mean by "turning off" the unlocking list? Where do you do this at? I don't see that option anywhere.

Have you been previously unlocked to fly in any NFZ's? If so, you should have an option in General Settings > Unlocking List that will show you all locations where you are unlocked to fly. If you still have any turned on, it will think you are in a NFZ even if you are not. Just happened to me. I was grounded in my own back yard in the middle of nowhere, no TFR's, no airports, etc. Said I was in a NFZ. I turned off the list and it fixed the problem. See attached. Don't know if it applies to you but I thought I would mention. This is new with the last firmware update I believe.

Attachments

• 20170710_122042.jpg
    20170710_122042.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 555

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1