Worst flight ever with p4p I'm still shaking, no control but got it landed

In case you haven't heard of this guy (msinger) on this forum - here is a link to his website DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help and information on how to recover, post etc. your flight logs etc. You can also upload your log to his site here https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Guy is pretty amazing at getting answers as to issues similar to yours and even recovering lost Phantoms via reviewing data. You will also find info as to how to sync your flight record in the DJI Go App, set up for DJI Assistant and lots of other pertinent information on his site.

It is pretty obvious your issue is interference - however, why not get some other opinions and I can't think of any other who would be better at that than msinger --- Best of luck.............
Thanks for information, I just tried sending dat logs to that site but said it was to big, there are 4 files for that flight, do I need to send them one at a time ?

Bridge yes. Cars generally no. Have you tried to power up and do a low hover with your p4p in a known good area?
I will try it tomorrow, dark here now, one other thing I have not mentioned, it was my first flight with a RF-V16 tracker attached to the drone, I didn't mention that before as I would guess loads of other people would have flown with them before ?

Reactions: Paulza
I will try it tomorrow, dark here now, one other thing I have not mentioned, it was my first flight with a RF-V16 tracker attached to the drone, I didn't mention that before as I would guess loads of other people would have flown with them before ?
I'm surprised no-one has suggested using the lflight data viewer at Phantomhelp.com.
That's my favourite tool for a quick and easy analysis of "interesting" flights.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

To send things to DJI, you need to synch the record by selecting the record and clicking the cloud icon in the app.
Then get on to their online chat support and tell them the story ..... but don't expect much in the way of analysis from them.

Actually putting a tracker on the Phantom can change the local magnetic influence around the Phantom depending on where it is relative to the compass.
This may or may not have affected your compass.
When I see the data I'll have a better idea what the issues could have been.

Actually putting a tracker on the Phantom can change the local magnetic influence around the Phantom depending on where it is relative to the compass.
This may or may not have affected your compass.
When I see the data I'll have a better idea what the issues could have been.
Thanks meta4 if you could let me know what you think, have you got the dat file ? or want me to add it here ?

IMG_1019.JPG

I'm not a .dat file person but if you upload the .txt file from the app to Phantomhelp, I'll be happy to look into it.
I gave him the analysis from his DAT file but he hasn't done the tx file to phantomhelp yet. There was quite clearly something interfering with compass. But there were a lot of other failures in the logs too, making me think either tremendous interference, maybe from his tracker, or a hardware issue.

So, when you power on the drone, the drone determines the direction it is facing using the compass. Once that is established, and the drone takes off, it uses gyros and accelerometers to determine yaw. So, if you have magentic interference when you first power on the drone, once you get clear of that interference the drone is going to act crazy as yours did, because it can't make sense of what it is seeing. If you look at the image, the yaw and magyaw should have nearly identical values (the green and blue lines) but as you can see, they are off from the start and continue to be off throughout the flight most times. (red line is altitude)

By the way, @BudWalker is to thank for this program (datcon and csvview) and I'm using info I saw in another similar post where he talked about this to determine what happened.
It does sound like what happened, wonder if there was something underground where I took off from ?

I gave him the analysis from his DAT file but he hasn't done the tx file to phantomhelp yet. There was quite clearly something interfering with compass. But there were a lot of other failures in the logs too, making me think either tremendous interference, maybe from his tracker, or a hardware issue.
I'm unsure how to do a text file from the app ? It says export cvs when I click that icon where does it go too ?

Ok I will see how you get it from the controller in the morning, in bed now on iPad, gone midnight here in uk, I'm off work tomorrow so will have a go

I'm surprised no-one has suggested using the lflight data viewer at Phantomhelp.com.
That's my favourite tool for a quick and easy analysis of "interesting" flights.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

To send things to DJI, you need to synch the record by selecting the record and clicking the cloud icon in the app.
Then get on to their online chat support and tell them the story ..... but don't expect much in the way of analysis from them.
Thanks meta4i will do that first thing in the morning, need to try and get to the bottom of this

Would you think considering what happened today, best not to calibrate compass after today, I had to a couple of weeks ago as it was doing the spiral arc flying when you let go of the sticks, even tho it was not asking me to do it in the menu

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl