Worst flight ever with p4p I'm still shaking, no control but got it landed

I fly a LOT normally all is good but there is one carpark at a beach it's just black tar but there must be something under it steel to reinforce etc, i have never been able to take off from the surface of the carpark (compass & GPS errors)but if I move 5 feet onto the grass all is perfect. So sometimes you cant see what is causing your problem. I did notice you got error messages a couple of seconds into the flight when you were at 3.3ft why you didn't land immediately is just close to crazy in my opinion, why risk anything the key words are safety safety safety.

Hi Shaun, I did not see the warnings, when I first took off I had my eyes on the drone because it was close to some bushes and needed to keep my eyes on it till it was higher up, I learnt a lot on that flight, one thing you should always do is take off in a clear area away from any obstacles, let it hover for a minute or two while keeping your eyes on both screen and drone, you do get a bit complacent after 200 flights without problems (P4) I had only flown the p4p about 10 times before that scary flight.
It takes some scary thing to happen to knock you back into check check check everything before and during every take off and flight

Just curious on which side was your Tracker mounted?. So I have been testing my NEW V16 tracker on both Phantom 4 and 4pro+ and have found immediate compass errors when I mount the tracker on the RIGHT side of either drone, looking at it from behind, camera pointing forward. When I mount on LEFT side, I get NO compass errors and ironically much better GPS reception especially when I am inside and away from open sky. By the way it did not matter if I had TRACKING ON or OFF or whether I had it report every 30 seconds, 10 minutes or 60 minutes. Testing will continue.

Hi Shaun, I did not see the warnings, when I first took off I had my eyes on the drone because it was close to some bushes and needed to keep my eyes on it till it was higher up, I learnt a lot on that flight, one thing you should always do is take off in a clear area away from any obstacles, let it hover for a minute or two while keeping your eyes on both screen and drone, you do get a bit complacent after 200 flights without problems (P4) I had only flown the p4p about 10 times before that scary flight.
It takes some scary thing to happen to knock you back into check check check everything before and during every take off and flight

Yes you are correct, every flight I do without exception I takeoff to 1 or 2 metres, hover then flick left right forward & back then let hover this just makes sue I have put the props on correctly & it has a good GPS lock. The flicking of the stick is the exact opposite of how to smoothly fly but it just ensures that under acceleration & deceleration the props don't spin off. I know the new props don't wind on anymore its just an old habit that stuck & has served me well I'd rather the UAV fail at 1 metre not 100 metres. If I have even a small doubt the the UAV is not working as it should I always immediately land restart & redo my checks.
It only takes one good scare to make you take more care & follow all your pre flights..

Hope your flight are much more fun in the future..

Reactions: Snowwolf
Just an update on this thread, dji replaced my erratic flight p4p they replaced with a secondhand faulty unit out the box, that one was returned, DJI replaced that faulty unit with a new p4p which I am very happy about, all this has been since 3rd January I have not been able to fly the new bird as I have been working and will not be able to try it until Sunday coming, I do hope the weather is ok,
I have had it connected to the controller and set it back up, can't wait to try it out, also they gave me a new battery for my inconvenience which was greatly received, well done dji

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4