Worst flight ever with p4p I'm still shaking, no control but got it landed

$1500? I thought a replacement mavic drone is around $750? I just ordered a mavic pro for $999 with remote.

I guess that depends on what country you purchase in - up here is Canada the same set up you have with a controller runs around $1350.00 - $1450.00 Canadian funds - ouch!

My point is did it get a home lock before you took off. You are right, once its up in the air, AC will be away from those ground interferences and will have better accessibility to satellites but its difficult to get a GPS lock in a moving aircraft. Also if it does not have GPS, it will keep moving. One affects the other.
Yes it had a home lock, would never take off till it had that.
No I did not do a compass calibration, the only calibration I did do today was the gimbal

Yes it had a home lock, would never take off till it had that.
No I did not do a compass calibration, the only calibration I did do today was the gimbal
If thats true, then you got to figure out why did you lose GPS in air as that might happen again. You could save your AC just because your are experienced.

You don't need to calibrate anything every time you fly. In fact you shouldn't calibrate anything unless there is a need to. Not even the compass. The compass works differently in the newer drones than previous. You no longer need to calibrate compass just because you fly someplace new.
No I had not done a compass calibration, would only do that if asked

If thats true, then you got to figure out why did you lose GPS in air as that might happen again. You could save your AC just because your are experienced.
mmmmmm That is what I am worried about, I will not be able to fly until I get to the bottom of it, there would have been no way I could have got the drone back if it had been any further away from me, it was flying on its own accord so fast, perhaps I should get in touch with DJI

mmmmmm That is what I am worried about, I will not be able to fly until I get to the bottom of it, perhaps I should get in touch with DJI
Thats a good idea, send them your DAT files and share your experience. I know there answer will be to send in your AC.

No I had not done a compass calibration, would only do that if asked
If app suggests you to do Compass calibration, you are in a WRONG field and I would suggest you to go away from there rather doing the compass calibration again at the wrong site.

Thats a good idea, send them your DAT files and share your experience. I know there answer will be to send in your AC.
You are right, think that will be my only option, I will find out where I can get intouch with them and send the dat file to them

edit:

I suggest doing a small test flight from a known good location you have flown before.

I think you either have some serious hardware problem OR it was the location you were flying in. You could even try an indoor hover in your garage or something just in case. You didn't drop the drone or anything like that recently did you? The more I look at your text log the more it seems like something wrong in the drone.

Last edited:
By the way here is a google satellite view of your actual flight path.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 542
I suggest doing a small test flight from a known good location you have flown before.

I agree with your findings and it makes sense as to strong interferences - most probable EMI's - however I have read on the DJI Forum where the same issues as to lost GPS and issues as the OP mentioned are almost exact (P4P and the Mavic Pro).

I will find out where I can get intouch with them and send the dat file to them

A couple of guys mention sending .dat files to DJI and getting a response back stating strong interference as to flight location. However, in some of those cases they also mention trying to fly in known good locations and experience the same issues present (erratic behaviour and lost GPS). Not very encouraging for sure.

Jeeeez !!!!! That looks one frantic flight!!!!! And can assure you it was, my heart was racing all the time, trouble is I am always going to think it will happen again at some point, do you know how I can send all the details to DJI ?
Thanks again for your help

do you know how I can send all the details to DJI ?

Another option is you can use the DJI Go App and sync your flight record through that --- then export the flight data through Assistant 2 (when it happened).

Send them an email to [email protected] using your DJI Go App account email address - usually a lot faster response time with that email address.

EDIT: Great photo of you and your dog - look like great pals!

no way I could have got the drone back if it had been any further away from me, it was flying on its own accord so fast

In case you haven't heard of this guy (msinger) on this forum - here is a link to his website DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help and information on how to recover, post etc. your flight logs etc. You can also upload your log to his site here https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Guy is pretty amazing at getting answers as to issues similar to yours and even recovering lost Phantoms via reviewing data. You will also find info as to how to sync your flight record in the DJI Go App, set up for DJI Assistant and lots of other pertinent information on his site.

It is pretty obvious your issue is interference - however, why not get some other opinions and I can't think of any other who would be better at that than msinger --- Best of luck.............

I'm new to this - haven't even received my P4P+ yet - but I know the place where this happened.

Isn't there a fairly large steel bridge next to where you were flying?

Not sure if that has any relevance but thought I would ask the question anyway as there were 1 or 2 mentions about cars affecting the signal.

I'm new to this - haven't even received my P4P+ yet - but I know the place where this happened.

Isn't there a fairly large steel bridge next to where you were flying?

Not sure if that has any relevance but thought I would ask the question anyway as there were 1 or 2 mentions about cars affecting the signal.
Hi mittel, yes there is a steel bridge but thought I would have been far enough away so not be a problem, but it could have been, I have taken off at the rear of my house where there are lots of cars and never had a problem, unsure if bridge was near enough to be an issue, also I walked nearer to the bridge and gained a bit of normality in the drone, perhaps it should have got worse ? Mind you I don't think it could have got any worse lol

Bridge yes. Cars generally no. Have you tried to power up and do a low hover with your p4p in a known good area?

In case you haven't heard of this guy (msinger) on this forum - here is a link to his website DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help and information on how to recover, post etc. your flight logs etc. You can also upload your log to his site here https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Guy is pretty amazing at getting answers as to issues similar to yours and even recovering lost Phantoms via reviewing data. You will also find info as to how to sync your flight record in the DJI Go App, set up for DJI Assistant and lots of other pertinent information on his site.

It is pretty obvious your issue is interference - however, why not get some other opinions and I can't think of any other who would be better at that than msinger --- Best of luck.............
He provided the drone DAT which gave a lot of info and the recording of his screen also told us a lot. Not sure the tx flight log will add much more, but no harm in trying.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl