Working my way up the distance

Extremely jealous of your beautiful, scenic location my friend.

I'm not at all worried. They will have to do far too much to prove it was out of LoS, plus they're going to have too many cases to regulate. They'll never be able to do it.

Don't you believe it when their is a lot of evidence. Many have been given warning letters in New Zealand simply because people have been publishing going over 400 feet. The stricter rules fines will be coming.

Don't you believe it when their is a lot of evidence. Many have been given warning letters in New Zealand simply because people have been publishing going over 400 feet. The stricter rules fines will be coming.

I haven't seen any of these warnings, and I also don't live in New Zealand. Again, not worried

Ok so back on topic. I flew again today and lost signal right after 5200ft. Nothing I did helped antennas wise. About 300ft up.

Tried to push it and lost signal twice and screen went dark at which point I panicked and hit rth. Is this range normal? How come I can't get past a mile?

Ok so back on topic. I flew again today and lost signal right after 5200ft. Nothing I did helped antennas wise. About 300ft up.

Tried to push it and lost signal twice and screen went dark at which point I panicked and hit rth. Is this range normal? How come I can't get past a mile?

What type of interference might you have had around you? Trees, power lines, houses, etc? Also if you would have flown up higher you would've been able to hit 5200 without a doubt.

Which way were your antennas set up?

I have to chime in. I think the odds of most of being fined or having our gear confiscated are as likely as the FBI knocking on our doors doors for downloading movies and music. May the odds be ever in our favor. ;)

Now, I have been asked to do some photos and video for an outdoor music festival next weekend. Lots of people, but the organizers assured me they will make sure the people and security are aware of our activities and will keep areas under flights paths clear. Those will not be long distance flights, and all within line of sight, and with my new iPad Air 2 that should be here on Monday. :D

Reactions: NickCopter

When you lose video signal and the screen goes black, does the compass info and map info disappear as well? Typically, when I lose video I just throttle up a bit and can gain signal back - then again, that's likely based on signal loss from obstructions, not necessarily signal interference. Other times I will just pitch back (assuming it's above all obstacles) and hope signal comes back. RTH hasn't been my first instinct after the fist time this happened. Just stay calm and trust that your P3 will stay put, with no stick input, until you sort it out.

Reactions: NickCopter
What type of interference might you have had around you? Trees, power lines, houses, etc? Also if you would have flown up higher you would've been able to hit 5200 without a doubt.

Which way were your antennas set up?
Not any. Was flying on the beach... Maybe some beach condos on the side but I flew far from them.

Higher than 300ft? Isn't it sufficient to get past a mile?

My antennas were parallel and pointing straight up (touching the bank of the phone)

I tried to angle then slightly away from each other, and also slightly forward, but it didn't change much.

Not any. Was flying on the beach... Maybe some beach condos on the side but I flew far from them.

Higher than 300ft? Isn't it sufficient to get past a mile?

My antennas were parallel and pointing straight up (touching the bank of the phone)

I tried to angle then slightly away from each other, and also slightly forward, but it didn't change much.

I don't know, I just always fly at 400' regardless. I've never tried going for range any lower than that.

Your antenna placement seems alright, so I'm not sure what the cause could be.

Maybe it's time for you to upgrade to the FPVLR kit :p

I dunno.. I feel like everything can be a little better. Definitely not perfect like some people state. I haven't had any major issues but smaller ones in almost everything:
Occasion phantom wobbles
Gimbal horizon off
Range cuts at mile or less
App doesn't connect when turned on
App disconnects mid flight
App going dark/crashes
Days won't sync

I have to chime in. I think the odds of most of being fined or having our gear confiscated are as likely as the FBI knocking on our doors doors for downloading movies and music. May the odds be ever in our favor. ;)

I would not be so sure on that. If you publish your doing illegal actively then your giving evidence. The likes of you tube is a great way to get caught.

It's the ones who basically make they are themselves obvious that get caught

Now if you keep it to yourself and not publish your activities then the chances of getting caught are extremely small indeed.

Think smart guys and won't get caught

Now, I have been asked to do some photos and video for an outdoor music festival next weekend. Lots of people, but the organizers assured me they will make sure the people and security are aware of our activities and will keep areas under flights paths clear. Those will not be long distance flights, and all within line of sight, and with my new iPad Air 2 that should be here on Monday. :D

Fantastic. Great news.

I hit 8000ft horizontal distance at about 250ft vertical! These things are crazy cool!!!

First time I tried to go for any distance today - 275' alt, and got my first drop in video at 2440'. I am bummed...

First time I tried to go for any distance today - 275' alt, and got my first drop in video at 2440'. I am bummed...

If you're bummed with that range, I hope you never had to try a P1 or P2 beforehand XD

300' out and no signal

Hey, you got the bird back though didn't you? That's always good!

Try to reposition your antennas or a different location. You shuttle have a mile.

Yeah but i think the battery tech is just being held back till we all spend plenty more money then they hit us with better things its a bit like drip feeding us

Yeah but i think the battery tech is just being held back till we all spend plenty more money then they hit us with better things its a bit like drip feeding us
I have built quads and hex's for a few years. I have a hex that carries three 4S 5000 mAH batteries, 17' props and will fly for an hour, UHF radio, and I have taken the P3P further than that thing, simply because I trust the tech on it more (mostly FPV). If you want longer range and battery you need a bigger frame and power system to carry it all.

I think Dji said this is something they are working hard on solving... IE longer flight times. It seems all the big companies (3dr) haven't solved that equation yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav