Working my way up the distance

Reaction score
Put my brassy ball hard case on this morning (ha), and crossed 5000ft for the first time before starting to lose feed and app crashing.. Oh well.. Good enough for now :)

Attachments

• 1436364113967.jpg
    1436364113967.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
I feel ya homie, yesterday I hate 5100 feet I wanted to hit a mile so bad but I chickened out. I never lost signal just boils down to me being scared. I was already nervous because I found a stress crack on my bird!! I have babied her

The most i have gotten was about 2500 while recording the golf course I work at. I normally lose signal around 1200-1300 feet in my neighborhood.

I've done 4.1km, or +/- 13,451 ft before I chickened out while flying over farm fields near where I live. The Live video feed was just starting to get some hiccups, but I just hovered over a farm for a few minutes before doing an RTC (was lazy to fly it back).

Once you get the itch, distance is addicting :p

If I had wide open beach front or something similar closer to me (Grand Haven/Holland are about an hour drive and have historically had 20 mph winds when I went out) I would be out testing distance every day XD

My furthest is 3.5 miles each way, in GPS mode, with 17% battery left. I reckon if I could learn ATTI that I could break 4.5 miles.

Wish I could get closer to a mile. I'm up to 4k feet but there's so many trees here in northern NJ.

Once you get the itch, distance is addicting :p

If I had wide open beach front or something similar closer to me (Grand Haven/Holland are about an hour drive and have historically had 20 mph winds when I went out) I would be out testing distance every day XD

My furthest is 3.5 miles each way, in GPS mode, with 17% battery left. I reckon if I could learn ATTI that I could break 4.5 miles.
Are SW MI beaches drone friendly? Want to visit my father in St. joe area but remember back in college days beaches being too crowded in summer.

Are SW MI beaches drone friendly? Want to visit my father in St. joe area but remember back in college days beaches being too crowded in summer.

Depends on the beach and what you plan on doing (altitude, speed, where you launch from, etc.)

When I went to South Haven for fireworks on July 3rd, I stood on a corner that wasn't lit well, had probably 15 people around that were all parents and kids under 10, and it was a great experience. They all thought it was cool and were happy to spread out far from me when I launched/brought it back, and their kids loved looking at the screen. Here are pics of where I stood:

thread1.png thread2.png

I picked that spot because there weren't that many people (the beach literally had several thousand) then I just flew the 1.2 miles towards the fireworks. South Haven was a great experience.

However, when I went to Grand Haven on the 4th with some friends, I didn't feel safe to fly at all. We got there early and set up a tent on the beach like everyone else, but there were a lot of degenerates around that I thought might harass me or throw frisbees/footballs/baseballs towards the copter. So I didn't film at all that day.

I think a majority of it is your positioning. If you stand far enough away and fly high enough up, you should have no problems. But if you want to launch from the beach with a thousand people around, and fly only 40' off the ground, you're probably gonna run into issues.

I also flew at Holland last night and there were about 50 cars in the parking lot and a lot of people walking around. I launched from in the hills about 1/4th mile away from everyone and was zipping around between 40'-400' and has no issues.

The real key is just being physically away from people so that they can't do anything about your flying.

Reactions: jcknows0
Thanks I went through that at jersey shore Sunday and resigned myself. If I do go visit I definitely want to fly the beach there

At the beach last week I want 12,000' directly over water. My butt was a little tight on the fly back.

Thanks I went through that at jersey shore Sunday and resigned myself. If I do go visit I definitely want to fly the beach there

I'd recommend Holland and South Haven then. They're both much less populated than Grand Haven. And they have perfect spots to launch from where people would really have to go out of their way to come and bother you.

EDIT: Here's my launch spot at Holland. haha.

thread3.png

At the beach last week I want 12,000' directly over water. My butt was a little tight on the fly back.

Aren't you the one notorious for flying far above the 400' limit?

Ridiculous height doesn't scare you but a little water does? :p

Only poking fun, your height flying is no problem with me.

More of the distance and head wind that bothered me not the water. Just want to make sure I have enough juice to make it home.

Reactions: NickCopter
More of the distance and head wind that bothered me not the water. Just want to make sure I have enough juice to make it home.

Ah I know that feeling. My intent was a range test at Holland yesterday but that wind was crazy. I hit 72 MPH when it was on my side, and then only 10 MPH going full throttle into it. Wasn't sure how a range test would work with that in mind.

Hope you guys know flying out of sight range will seen be illegal. I would not be publishing your distant, else sometime this year your going to have the FAA knocking at your door issuing hefty fines.

I know over here, in New Zealand new laws come into effect 1st of august and believe the usa and other countries soon.

The FPV rules seem standard. FPV with a spotter needed and must keep it within sight, without the aid of a screen.

I can see soon many members who are foolish boasting there out of sight distance flights. 2km+ is not line of sight, no way can you see it at 2km+? It's illegal activity, or soon to be enforced.

Check out my distance test in Turks and Caicos!

Extremely jealous of your beautiful, scenic location my friend.

Hope you guys know flying out of sight range will seen be illegal. I would not be publishing your distant, else sometime this year your going to have the FAA knocking at your door issuing hefty fines.

I know over here, in New Zealand new laws come into effect 1st of august and believe the usa and other countries soon.

The FPV rules seem standard. FPV with a spotter needed and must keep it within sight, without the aid of a screen.

I can see soon many members who are foolish boasting there out of sight distance flights. 2km+ is not line of sight, no way can you see it at 2km+? It's illegal activity, or soon to be enforced.

I'm not at all worried. They will have to do far too much to prove it was out of LoS, plus they're going to have too many cases to regulate. They'll never be able to do it.

So easy to prove. Many are posting videos and log screen shots showing the distances traveled. I can see many soon getting massive fines and this hobby dramatically decreasing? Your risking your phantom being confiscated, don't take it with a pinch of salt and brush it off. In Australia and New Zealand there have already been people fined and are by no means small fines.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1