Wonderful, now Joe public can chase us down much more easily...

In reading this, there is verbiage that says something about DJI has not decided on whether to force an update to make that part of their system work. Another example of why I don’t do auto updates. It will be a bit difficult for them to connect to the dozen or so ac that I fly. They will need to knock on my door. And I won’t be home when they do.

In reading this, there is verbiage that says something about DJI has not decided on whether to force an update to make that part of their system work. Another example of why I don’t do auto updates. It will be a bit difficult for them to connect to the dozen or so ac that I fly. They will need to knock on my door. And I won’t be home when they do.
E X A C T L Y And yet another reason why my reliable, little, plain, old P3 Adv has 3 year old software in everything. Furthermore, we have hacked everything from John Deere tractors to phones to TV remotes, and they haven't given the hacker community good reason YET, to seriously hack drones, but that day will come soon. These things are Linux / Android as I understand.

Reactions: Basspig
Question : How many Joe Public are actually going to bother OR even know about the APP ?

So the APP is supposed to give S/N ... ID .... location ... so what ? Unless it can take over control - I don't see any people interested other than a Park Warden or similar.

I don't like the idea - don't get me wrong ... but honestly.

WiFi identifier APP's have been out literally as long as WiFi itself ... how many actually have one installed on their phone ?

Forgive me for saying it ... but Paranoia reins again.

I have no problem with new aircraft having ADS-B or an optional unit added to older sUAS craft, thus allowing ATC or other pilots to know the location of the aircraft.

But, DJI needs to keep its nose in the sUAS business and not the regulation of it. As it stands now a person with a WiFi sniffer can see my camera as an AP and have some idea of direction and range, but that is about all. My drone uses RC for flight control and telemetry and therefore would not even show on DJI’s app.

I have no problem with new aircraft having ADS-B or an optional unit added to older sUAS craft, thus allowing ATC or other pilots to know the location of the aircraft.

But, DJI needs to keep its nose in the sUAS business and not the regulation of it. As it stands now a person with a WiFi sniffer can see my camera as an AP and have some idea of direction and range, but that is about all. My drone uses RC for flight control and telemetry and therefore would not even show on DJI’s app.
To keep their nose in the drone business they need to keep the regulators comfortable that threats/issues are minimised. It’s should be obvious that is where these efforts are focussed.

The thing that the one is really recognizing is that everything that is in the media right now is in regards to the wifi-only app. This has nothing to do with regulations for the FAA. Anyone who is worried about being tracked doesn't need to be I licensed drone pilot. Fact is that this is not even usable unless you are within range of the drone and being that I fly my missions at 250 ft you'd have to be pretty lucky to actually be there with it ready to track and grab the signal. Maybe if a phone had Occusync...

To keep their nose in the drone business they need to keep the regulators comfortable that threats/issues are minimised. It’s should be obvious that is where these efforts are focussed.

That is try he reason I said that ADS-B being incorporated on sUAS aircraft makes sense. Then those that really need to know where another aircraft is will be able to, but every person with a cell home is not everyone that needs to know.

If privacy is the concern, then we need an app that shows the location of every cell phone and webcam that is within a kilometer of us so we can report their use to the authorities too.

If privacy is the concern, then we need an app that shows the location of every cell phone and webcam that is within a kilometer of us so we can report their use to the authorities too.
You seem to present a logical fallacy here, at least to the extent you argue the concern to be privacy related. This is a false equivalence, at least having regard to DJI’s stated intent of the app being to “prevent security threats and disruption”.

With respect to ADS-B several smart phone apps currently available will give the owner registration, completed flight path, altitude, speed and in many instances destination for ADS-B equipped aircraft.

My biggest agreement with ADS-B is that it will give ATC and pilots of manned aircraft a near real time information stream on where sUAS craft as well as manned are at in the NAS.

Other ground based facilities that are worried about security from sUAS aircraft aren’t going to rely on a cell phone based approach to sUAS detection. They will be using a much more robust system. This is just DJI’s attempt to gain popularity with the public at large. This only appeases the news hounds and gullible politicians that ride the wave of hysteria drummed up by the press.

My biggest agreement with ADS-B is that it will give ATC and pilots of manned aircraft a near real time information stream on where sUAS craft as well as manned are at in the NAS.

Other ground based facilities that are worried about security from sUAS aircraft aren’t going to rely on a cell phone based approach to sUAS detection. They will be using a much more robust system. This is just DJI’s attempt to gain popularity with the public at large. This only appeases the news hounds and gullible politicians that ride the wave of hysteria drummed up by the press.
From what is known DJI’s implementation of ADS-B won’t include ADS-B out. Passive receive only. It probably isn’t even possible other than in much larger sUAS.

What a dandy idea. Now we can have any old person...chase us down...

I didn't see anything about a minimum age limit for use of the new app. ;)

Seriously though, it's not illegal to fly a drone. It's only an issue if you fly it illegally. So, stay within the rules and let the voyeurs have their fun with the new app.

Reactions: chascoadmin

Seriously though, it's not illegal to fly a drone. It's only an issue if you fly it illegally. So, stay within the rules and let the voyeurs have their fun with the new app.

Agree

From what is known DJI’s implementation of ADS-B won’t include ADS-B out. Passive receive only. It probably isn’t even possible other than in much larger sUAS.

Tiny ADS-B transceivers exists, but the cost is high and will remain high until the industry gets through the current mandate to add ADS-B capability to manned aircraft.

See ping2020 - uAvionix

ping2020i combines the ping2020 ADS-B transceiver with the FYXnav GPS navigation source and an integrated barometer. This all-in-one ADS-B solution is easy to install and integrates with Pixhawk Autopilot and DJI drones

ping2020i is the world’s smallest, lightest and most affordable full range, dual link Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) UAT transceiver with integrated Satellite Based Augmentation System (SBAS) Global Positioning System (GPS) and precision barometric sensor. At just 26 grams, it assists with Detect and Avoid (DAA) functionality for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) operations in the National Airspace System (NAS). ADS-B IN on 1090MHz and 978MHz. ADS-B OUT on 978MHZ.”

Cost: $2,000
1573916467938.jpeg

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy

Here we go with the age-old and easily broken argument of, if you have nothing to hide then you should have nothing to worry about. We are like frogs in the water and they are heating it up one notch at a time. how about next we get an app that tells me exactly what vehicle you drive and how fast you're driving and what locations you are visiting. I mean as long as you're not breaking the law, you have nothing to hide right? maybe this is a good idea in China but in the land of the free I don't like it one bit

My original purpose for posting and my real fear is that the likelihood of abuse is very high.

A simple example, someone with the app notices a drone nearby and assumes it must be spying on him or her. Being upset about this, he or she pulls out the handy drone jammer they bought on eBay and decides to use it, killing my control of my drone and causing it to spin away or crash. I may never even know why my drone just decided to disconnect and fly away. There goes my $3000 investment.

Another simple example, we are out taking some nice video over the coast. There are houses on shore, but I am not over them and am playing by the rules. A home owner with the app sees the drone and assumes I am trespassing. She or he calls the local “authorities” and provides my location. They come to investigate the complaint and demand my flight logs as proof of innocence. Sure, I could do that, and maybe it would be fine. Unless of course, the local authorities are paid security via a home owners association who don’t have any real authority, but “confiscate” your drone because you might be trespassing. Hassles and long delays, maybe lawyers involved to get your equipment back. Not to mention the privacy issues (am I required to show my flight logs to prove innocence now, what if we have to show my cars log of speed and location when I get pulled over to prove I wasn’t speeding, is that ok?)

I am consistently surprised by the willingness of a community of people to give up their rights to privacy and seeming comfort with excessive oversight. Common sense safety laws are appropriate, public tracking and recording of your movements is not.

My original purpose for posting and my real fear is that the likelihood of abuse is very high.

A simple example, someone with the app notices a drone nearby and assumes it must be spying on him or her. Being upset about this, he or she pulls out the handy drone jammer they bought on eBay and decides to use it, killing my control of my drone and causing it to spin away or crash. I may never even know why my drone just decided to disconnect and fly away. There goes my $3000 investment.

Another simple example, we are out taking some nice video over the coast. There are houses on shore, but I am not over them and am playing by the rules. A home owner with the app sees the drone and assumes I am trespassing. She or he calls the local “authorities” and provides my location. They come to investigate the complaint and demand my flight logs as proof of innocence. Sure, I could do that, and maybe it would be fine. Unless of course, the local authorities are paid security via a home owners association who don’t have any real authority, but “confiscate” your drone because you might be trespassing. Hassles and long delays, maybe lawyers involved to get your equipment back. Not to mention the privacy issues (am I required to show my flight logs to prove innocence now, what if we have to show my cars log of speed and location when I get pulled over to prove I wasn’t speeding, is that ok?)

I am consistently surprised by the willingness of a community of people to give up their rights to privacy and seeming comfort with excessive oversight. Common sense safety laws are appropriate, public tracking and recording of your movements is not.
Well said. I started a thread about this exact topic and it would seem as though I'm the only one on that thread who disapproves. Another Point, even people with good intentions can be very distracting. Probably 75% of my flights are paid work, and I often need to kindly deflect people away from me to focus on the job. It always chews up crucial flight time and if I am recording a video clip, I almost always have to stop recording and start from the beginning of the shot. This just provides one more distraction and increases potential for distracted pilot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.